205 GTI rear beam sleeve & bearing kit question
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 205 GTI rear beam sleeve & bearing kit question

Default 205 GTI rear beam sleeve & bearing kit question

Hi,

I'm looking to rebuild the rear beam on my 205 gti and have seen that some traders sell rebuild kits with 'sleeves' to go over the inner shafts rather than replacing the shaft itself. Does anyone know how these sleeves go over the shafts? Does the kit rely on smaller bearings and a sleeve directly over the existing shaft or does the shaft need machining for the sleeves to fit, thus retaining the original bearing size?
    Cheers, James.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Advertisement

Hey James have you got a link for the sleeves?

No, I just rang up EAI. The guy I spoke with was very helpful but said that although he found some in stock they hadn't dealt in these for some time and couldn't answer my question about how the sleeves fit over the shafts. It was he who suggested I ask on Aussiefrogs. I can always order a full shaft kit from Europe but I was hoping to get the car back on the road asap - I don't want to drive it with the one side squeaking in case I damage the tube. The other side looks to have been done as it is smooth and there is fresh grease around the seal - I'll find out for sure on the weekend when I pull it off the car. James.

With my limited fitting knowledge I would assume you would have to machine down the shaft to fit the sleeve unless the sleeve is bloody thin. Are you sure he isn't mistaking the actual shaft for the sleeve as the shafts goes around the antiroll bar like a sleeve I guess.

Sent from my E6653 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Not quite sure why they would call it 'sleeves' but this photo shows what you're looking at. When you disassemble the beam, there are two needle roller bearings in the tube that you need to extract. They are different diameters as per the pair on the bench. Once you have the new ones pressed in, then the tube fits inside them. There is a steel sleeve and shield arrangement at the outer ends.

Unless the stub shafts are in really poor condition, you won't need to change them. If you do need to, then they press out of the hub, but that's a job for a decent press, not a back yard.

I replaced mine, but that was only so I could get the internal diameter large enough to clear the huge anti roll bar I fitted - see the second and third photo for comparisons.

Keep us posted.
    205 GTI rear beam sleeve & bearing kit question-imag3230.jpg205 GTI rear beam sleeve & bearing kit question-imag3158.jpg205 GTI rear beam sleeve & bearing kit question-imag3229.jpg
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Well the shafts are out and they don't look very good. One side was running in dust, and on the other side, which looks to have had the bearings replaced, the shaft looks even worse. If the beam is unserviceable I'd appreciate PM's from anyone who has a spare, particular in Brisbane.

1000+ Posts

As long as it has not been runnng on the tube itself it will be alright, Mine was OK bearings pretty bad but solid enough to pull out and well impressed into the shaft. Pretty unusual for tube to be stuffed, although I did buy one which was a waste of $200, lucky my 30 year old was OK. They look ok, issue now is to pull out the bearing carrier, a three finger from supercheap or repco will do the job, only needs 25mm pulling.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

The bearings are out of the 'bad' side. The bad news is there is a big chunk of metal chewed out of the tube where the outer bearing sits. I'm guessing it's theoretically possible for a machine shop to weld material in then dress the welds back to the correct diameter for the bearings, although the the tube looks a bit thin to do this without distortion? Anyone got a good tube to sell?

Thread Information