Rear hub nut (Nylock etc.) replacement or not?
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Rear hub nut (Nylock etc.) replacement or not?

Hi all,

Advertisement

I'm just about to replace my son's rear brake shoes on his Clio 2 Campus which I believe has a nylock nut in the centre of the drum (or at least, a locking nut of some type; might have one of those dented in castellated flanges...I haven't had time to look). Renault recommend replacement.

What does everyone reckon...OK to reuse with a bit of loctite stud locker on the threads?

PS, these are not adjustable even though they're tapered rollers. Torqued to 175 Nm.

Cheers

The Family Car Slave

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

With my Clio the Renault rear bearings were knackered on one side after 50k. With this in mind I'd get wheel bearing kits and do these at the same time - they come with a new nylock nut.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

1000+ Posts

Icon7 You can reuse a nyloc with the application of a LITTLE heat

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Hi all,

I'm just about to replace my son's rear brake shoes on his Clio 2 Campus which I believe has a nylock nut in the centre of the drum (or at least, a locking nut of some type; might have one of those dented in castellated flanges...I haven't had time to look). Renault recommend replacement.

What does everyone reckon...OK to reuse with a bit of loctite stud locker on the threads?

PS, these are not adjustable even though they're tapered rollers. Torqued to 175 Nm.

Cheers

The Family Car Slave
    I smiled at your "Family car slave" oh how true that was

Nylocs can be re-used when you can't easily source a replacement nut, I just apply a little heat enough to melt the nylon thread path a little and that seems to do the job. I've never had a re-use come loose after that treatment.

Really depends on the critical nature of the part/assembly and your confidence in the re-use. I would not bother with any threadlock when I re-use a nyloc.

I probably would not repeat the melt process more than one time, and that is just me not wanting to push the envelope of safety and my natural caution.

Incidently, I often dig out the nylon insert and just use them as normal nuts around the workshop along with a spring washer as they seem to be made out of good material and the threads don't stuff up or strip, so I don't chuck used ones away and if the replacement part comes with a new nyloc nut I always use it, but sometimes you do have to improvise.

Ken.

1000+ Posts

Thanks guys. Hey Ken, I actually thought of that after I posted...a little heat to deform the plastic a bit. I know in reality they still have some resistance anyway, but when it holds the wheel on.... As for the slave bit, yeah, maintaining 5 cars at the moment and of course, the family treat it like you're paid so they criticise if things aren't as they like! 'Oh, was that rubbing noise there before?'

I'll have a quick fiddle with the bearings before I order, thanks Jech. Bit skint at the moment so trying to save.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

If you do decide to change the bearings the kits are very cheap, about $25 per side delivered on ebay when I bought one.

It takes a bit of time and effort to get the old bearing out of the drum sometimes, but the new one slots in nicely with the aid of the freezer (bearing) and a hot oven (drum).

James.
    Last edited by jech; 30th May 2017 at 10:58 PM.

1000+ Posts

Cheers, thanks.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information