504Ti with dirty petrol tank
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 504Ti with dirty petrol tank

Fellow Frogger!

Default 504Ti with dirty petrol tank

I am waking up a 504Ti from a 9 year slumber.

The latest issue is the fuel tank is full of very fine particles of what I assume is rust. It clogs the fuel filter almost instantly. i've drained the tank twice and I'm still getting a lot of crap coming out.

Advertisement

Any suggestions for how/what I might use to try to flush it out?
    1999 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupe (Manual)
    1982 Porsche 944 Chassis no. 97, quite likely the oldest surviving production 944
    1978 Peugeot 504 Ti French assembled... because I need another project...
    1971 Peugeot 404 U10 ute (the love/hate vehicle. Used to love it. Now restored and I hate it)
    1930 Durant 614 coupe (Some American quality among the froggie taxis in my shed)
    1928 Renault KZ2 (the latest addition to the fleet)
    1915 Peugeot type 153A (very long term project)

John Handley

Hi.
    My two cents worth is that you need to remove the tank, de-scale it inside (eg by agitating it with a good handful of bits of metal or rocks etc with a bit of mass, and using one of those tank sealer kits like POR15. Even if you clean out the loose material, it is still rusting inside, might have thin sections or pin holes about to emerge, etc. So it is better to just get it done once and with certainty. Shouldn't be too hard to pull the tank on one of the old girls.

That's just what I reckon from my bits of experience, such as they are.

Thanks,
    John.

Fellow Frogger!

while I agree with Johns suggestion of rattling nuts and bolts around (a lot) while tank is out .
    I would check first that the 504 tank does not have a screen in the tank over the outlet, before using a tank "sealant "
    try poking a wire into the outlet ,that will tell if there is a screen

the 403 tanks had such a screen which would certainly block up with a tank sealant

Fellow Frogger!

I think it has a screen, and baffles, so stones in the tank won't be such a good idea either,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    while I agree with Johns suggestion of rattling nuts and bolts around (a lot) while tank is out .
    I would check first that the 504 tank does not have a screen in the tank over the outlet, before using a tank "sealant "
    try poking a wire into the outlet ,that will tell if there is a screen

the 403 tanks had such a screen which would certainly block up with a tank sealant
    1999 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupe (Manual)
    1982 Porsche 944 Chassis no. 97, quite likely the oldest surviving production 944
    1978 Peugeot 504 Ti French assembled... because I need another project...
    1971 Peugeot 404 U10 ute (the love/hate vehicle. Used to love it. Now restored and I hate it)
    1930 Durant 614 coupe (Some American quality among the froggie taxis in my shed)
    1928 Renault KZ2 (the latest addition to the fleet)
    1915 Peugeot type 153A (very long term project)

There is till a hole in the top where the fuel sender bolts on. You can put some fine gravel in there. And you have to pull out the sender anyway as it will get damaged by all this.

Someone here recently suggested doing this, then tying the tank onto a cement mixer.

The mesh may get gravel particles in it but they can be washed out.

And yes....you may find some pin holes in the tank after you put fuel in it again.

Modern technology dear friends, inspection camera's and soda blasting using bespoke tubes.
    Wrap camera bits in protective plastic and with a reversing protocol use close contact blasting.
    OK heaps of media used but it'll be clean! Measure the blasting agent used and measure the rubble reclaimed.
    A wet and dry industrial vacuum cleaner is your new best friend.
    Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by 1915 type 153 View Post
    I think it has a screen, and baffles, so stones in the tank won't be such a good idea either,,,,
    Yes, there are baffles (at least one, maybe more) which could be a problem if you go down the fill it with stones path.

Thread Information