R17 head lights
  • Help

Thread: R17 head lights

Default R17 head lights

As i don't have the parts manual, are the head lights lens for the R17 different to each other?
    What I mean is, the outer low beam is different to the high beam?
    Willing to learn more

I liked the thread recently about the refurbishment of a headlight reflector using chrome tape.
    I have spare head lights that I can try but would like to know if they are different

Advertisement

On the note of chrome tape
    I found this stuff on Ebay. Not Vinyl.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperBrite-P...3D130663029284
    SuperBrite Polyester Chrome Tape, choose your size. Near-Mirror Finish.

• Rolls of adhesive coated tape. Chrome colored, mirror like finish. often used for auto graphics, decorations, graphics.
    • Choose your size from the drop down menus
    • 1.5 mil thick metalized polyester.(mylar) 0.0015 inch thick
    • sticks to most clean, smooth surfaces.
    • very flexible, can be wrapped around a pencil.
    • does not stretch much.
    • can withstand high temp of 300 degree F
    • Made in USA, from non-toxic ingredients
    • Lead free
    Last edited by Shoji; 2nd May 2017 at 06:46 PM.
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Yes, they are. Have a look at the glass and you will see the difference. The reflector is not different, but the glass is.

One thing to note here, I would not damage or throw away any RHD low-beam glass. You WILL NOT FIND REPLACEMENTS. LHD low beams have a different deflection pattern and you can't turn them upside down either.

If the reflector is bad, you can throw that away, but keep the glass. That way you can buy new LHD low beams and swap the glass with yours.

High beams are all the same.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    On the note of chrome tape
    I found this stuff on Ebay. Not Vinyl.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperBrite-P...3D130663029284
    SuperBrite Polyester Chrome Tape, choose your size. Near-Mirror Finish.

• Rolls of adhesive coated tape. Chrome colored, mirror like finish. often used for auto graphics, decorations, graphics.
    • does not stretch much.
    • If you want to make it fit a concave reflector I would have thought that you would need a product that can stretch a LOT.
    Last edited by Richard W; 2nd May 2017 at 11:44 PM.

Shiltz. Thanks
    I have six spare and the four on the car. My employee came up with a great idea to separate the glass. Pour some thinners in the thing, plug it up so it doesn't vapour and leave it over night. We will see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    If you want to make it fit a concave reflector I would have thought that you would need a product that can stretch a LOT.
    Yes. Thought about that. I would cut them into wedges. Using templates probably and using surgical scalpels too.
    Vinyl would melt, I would suspect. so this product looks best.
    But if there is replacement backs, I would be interested - Shiltz? You have a contact?

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    LHD low beams have a different deflection pattern and you can't turn them upside down either.
    Could be more precise in explaining the actual difference? I'd love to know. Numbers on the the lens?
    Because I suspect the cars beams are not right in setup. The right ones are not in their place

Have a look at this picture:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BoschH4/EuroLens.jpg

That is obviously low beam for a LHD car. You can see where it has the diffuser sector that throws the beam down to avoid blinding drivers coming the opposite way. Your glass (RHD) would have a mirror image of that diffuser.

High beam lights don't have any difference in the glass, they can be used on LHD or RHD.

I am not sure what numbers you talk about.

Valeo, Marchal and Cibie lights have a little arrow cast in the glass that points toward the kerb.

Sportwagen Eckert - Bosch H4 headlight glass white, right-hand drive, 1305614006, for Porsche 911 91163192701

Here you can see a Bosch glass for a RHD (rechtslenker) car, you can clearly see the little arrow pointing to the kerb (left) in the picture.

Like I said, the glass pattern is mirror image for LHD and RHD cars so you can't do anything with LHD glass.

If you take the glass off, be careful when you put it back on, the glass needs to be aligned with the little claps and things on the edge of the reflector that index the light in its holder otherwise it is going to be out of whack.

Nope, I don't have any source of parts, I just used to scour euro ebay sites and every now and then you'd get lucky, but it takes a lot of patience. Some people have stuff they don't even know what it's for, so you can get a bargain every now and then, but not often.

I think the R8 lights are the same as the 17 so that might be in our favour (or not?). Again, not sure how many RHD R8s there may be or if there were any RHD specific parts left in LHD countries after all these years.

The suggestion about swapping the reflective back was an idea I had when I couldn't find RHD lights for my car but was easy to get new LHD headlights. I think I might still have some LHD headlights stashed somewhere I bought for this purpose. Never came to actually do it, and right now I can't even remember if I checked because there may still be a problem with the headlight reflector attaching points - these may be again mirror image on LHD and RHD cars, so my idea might not actually work in the end anyway. Dang.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    Shiltz. Thanks
    I have six spare and the four on the car. My employee came up with a great idea to separate the glass. Pour some thinners in the thing, plug it up so it doesn't vapour and leave it over night. We will see what happens.
    Wouldn't pouring thinners into the light lift whatever silver is still left in the light?
    Okay, you're going to resilver some of the light but if you use this method you'll probably end up having to resilver the entire headlight bowl.

Cheers
    Ren.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Wouldn't pouring thinners into the light lift whatever silver is still left in the light?
    Okay, you're going to resilver some of the light but if you use this method you'll probably end up having to resilver the entire headlight bowl.

Cheers
    Ren.
    Yen Ren, I have four which I suspect are a set and they are completely dull anyway. So a complete refurbish with this chrome tape.
    Another two I have, one has a yellow lens inside with good reflector and the other has good reflector

If you need to get RWC, re-silvering won't pass muster.

Installed some sealed beam units instead.

I always kept my best indicators, tail lights foe RWC purposes only

Sealed Beam 5-3/4" 146mm 60/40w 24v (#4402) | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    If you need to get RWC, re-silvering won't pass muster.

Installed some sealed beam units instead.

I always kept my best indicators, tail lights foe RWC purposes only

Sealed Beam 5-3/4" 146mm 60/40w 24v (#4402) | eBay
    Thanks driven. But It's already on the road and registered. Daily driver addiction

Default Cibie head lights

I've been going through what lights I have. On the car and the spares

List is:
    Two Oscar's ?? One say's oscar on the front and has the yellow inner lens
    Three L/H low beams
    Five basic ones for high and R/H low beam (one is not a cibie but a saturn)

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

R17 head lights-img_20170502_154315039.jpgR17 head lights-img_20170502_154323706.jpgR17 head lights-img_20170503_124223007.jpgR17 head lights-img_20170503_123824689.jpgR17 head lights-img_20170503_124257927.jpgR17 head lights-img_20170503_124509050.jpg

Our experiment with removing the lens worked a treat using thinners. We just pushed the lens out this morning. It did ruin what silver was left
    I plan to make some templates for the chrome tape and test this
    Again I'm open to ideas
    R17 head lights-reflector-chrome-tape-grid.jpg

In Australia the 17 was fitted with four identical (concave) light units using a P45t base globe. For OS, the inner and outer units (convex) were different but both used H1 halogen globes.

I think the best solution would be to obtain the light units from a Virage, and remove the sealed beam unit retainers and replace them onto the 17 headlamp mounting plate (so that generic light units can be used instead of the Cibie mounts). Then replace all the light units with decent H4 base light units.

Stuffing around with reflective tape will lead to a quality of light which at best will be a poor quality scattered and dispersed beam of no use at night, and at worst will provide a beam that may just annoy - or potentially dazzle oncoming road users.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I wonder if anyone ever tried silver or gold leaf like that used by artists.

Test light done with Chrome tape.
    But I fumbled the fog light h1 cover glass. Doh
    R17 head lights-done.jpgR17 head lights-light-chrome-tape.jpgR17 head lights-smashed.jpg
    I will seal it up with sikkens later and test it in the car

Thread Information