R19 'middle' muffler
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default R19 'middle' muffler

Hi, has anybody replaced the 'middle' muffler with a straight through pipe or with a short hot dog included on a R19.
    I'd like to find out how it affects re. noise, adverse affects on engine, performance etc. I know it is cheaper at about $80, $120 with a hot dog. One can buy a Renault pipe from a dealer (non in the country) for about
    $180. I think it was fitted on the 1.4 carby models in Europe.
    Cheers,
    JoBo

Advertisement

Tadpole

Default Not specifically, but...

Had a similar deal with a different car - without the middle unit you got this deep droning sound in the cabin which seeped right into your bones - could barely hear the motor, stereo and after getting out of the car found that my ears would be ringing in the silence (like walking out of a really loud music venue into a "silent" street).

Think twice about this one.

Cheers

Tony
    --

"Aaaaarrgghhhhhhhh..."

205 GTi 1.9

Citroen came up with the ultimate dodgy idea with the BX by fitting what I affectionately call a "strangulation box" which is a muffler that goes 'east-west' across the car with the entry & exit at the same end.
    On the 16V you can almost hear them wanting to blow up and they tend to rust out in certain spots & have a nasty habit of literally exploding as I discovered when I had one backfire one day.
    On mine, I took it to a "Walker" mufflers dealer who fitted a muffler from a 5 litre commodore which is not quite a straight through and I agree that a cheap straight through or a hot dog will drum like all hell. However, there are expensive high quality straight throughs which it is claimed are quieter than a baffled system until full power is applied but the problem with that is that they usually cost multiples of the price of the other types and work ouit more expensive than an original genuine replacement.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Recently replaced the resonator or 'centre' muffler, the unit i replaced the old rusted out one with is a $55- job from an exhaust shop it looked like a baby oval muffler and my car is silent now, maybe a little a too quiet, the unit is pretty free flowing but I still have the standard rear muffler which is keeping things quiet, hot dogs are ok if teamed up with a quiet muffler, but due to there free flowing design are genrally noiser and generally do have some booming affects associated with them.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

The R21 has the same type of middle muffler, with that odd side exiting pipe arrangement. I have driven an R21 that had had it replaced with a hotdog (which is just about the only universal item you could get to fit due to the odd layout) and it sucked big time. Very droning and far too loud. Stick with the original setup or you will need to add another resonator somewhere else and upgrade the rear muffler to compensate. Talk to Carrevelle Imports in Box Hill - Ken has "genuine" exhaust parts at very good prices.

Alan - my ULP R25 has that same type of front muffler, with the entry and exit at the same end (leaded mdels got a normal one, but reno decided they needed this silly one to fit a Cat....) How did you set up the replacement? Did you run a new pipe alongside the new muffler with a u trun into the entry end to retail the original basic layout?
    Last edited by Haakon; 24th April 2004 at 06:35 PM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Alan - my ULP R25 has that same type of front muffler, with the entry and exit at the same end (leaded mdels got a normal one, but reno decided they needed this silly one to fit a Cat....) How did you set up the replacement? Did you run a new pipe alongside the new muffler with a u trun into the entry end to retail the original basic layout?
    The fitter just cut the pipe back further & mounted the straight run muffler in the gap & used the pipe side mount onto the end of the new muffler.
    The muffler guy I use up here runs a super street sedan at the speedway so he's a bit of a dab hand at doing these kinds of jobs. Took him about 15 minutes all up to do the entire job including R & R.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Default middle muffler

Hi, thanks a lot everybody. I get the drift and will replace the origional muffler with one from Ken. It's about $160. Thought getting rid of the east west muffler with entry and exit pipe on the same side would improve throthle response at the same time
    JoBo

Fellow Frogger!

I had a 504 a while ago and fitted a true straight-thru MUFFLER ,not hot dog, in the middle and it definitely DID improve throttle response and general driveability and only made it a little bit louder which wasn't annoying. I will definitely be fitting a straight-through muffler (you can see right through it and it has to have punched HOLES not louvers inside) to my 505 soon. A hot dog would be too loud.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i had a 504 with a straight through muffler and a hotdog at the rear

car went a lot better but it was also very loud

i used to be able to be heard where we use to live around 2km's away it was that loud

definitely not the type of system to have on a car if you are dropping a date off late home
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I have just had my exhaust chap toss the rear muffler of my BX16 valve away,so its only running a walker centre muffler, its only slightly noisier (sounds fantastic)and the motor revs out a lot better. Also just fitted a pod filter using the original air box lower section, very neat and is a lot more responsive on throttle. these two mods have transposed an already good car. Cant stop smiling
    eugeot 2001 406 Coupe Polo Green.
    :Saab 9-3: 2000 Viggen Convertible Lightning Blue, BSR 424NM frightening!!!
    :Saab 95: 2001 Aero Black Wagon. 184kw .
    :Saab 900: 1993 Classic Convertable Blue.

$$$ SAVE BANK INTEREST AND BUY MORE TOYS!!

Thread Information