Catalytic Convertor Noise
  • Register
  • Help

Default Catalytic Convertor Noise

Since having the cam done to my mi16, my catalytic convertor has been making a strange noise, sounds like my exhaust is scraping along the ground, at first I thought is was one of the heat sheilds, but under closer inspection it's definately the cat. I only had this replaced last july... it's non-genuine, its not a highflow & it hasn't been tampered with.
    has anyone had a similar experience?

Tommorow I'm going back to the place who installed it, I'm hoping they'll replace it for free if theres a problem with it, but I doubt it. cost $300.

Advertisement

or

Should I be pointing fingers at the guys who installed my cam? There was no noise before I took it to them, noticed it instantly when I got the car back. I doubt they will take any responsibility. But I can't afford to be wasting another $300. I don't want to go blaming people without a explanation of whats happened.

JAS!

I had a problem in the 16 valve where one of the tacks that holds the heat shield on the cat had broken and it was only been held on by 3 welds. Therefore at low revs (idle) it would vibrate and sound like i had a really bad problem. Double check just incase mate.

If i was in your situatio mate i wouldnt know what to do either quite truthfully. If you want i can organise for my buddy to take a look at it for you tomorow, youd have to drive to the workshop in the city.

1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

JAS!

I had a problem in the 16 valve where one of the tacks that holds the heat
    shield on the cat had broken and it was only been held on by 3 welds.
    Therefore at low revs (idle) it would vibrate and sound like i had a
    really bad problem. Double check just incase mate.

If i was in your situatio mate i wouldnt know what to do either quite
    truthfully. If you want i can organise for my buddy to take a look at
    it for you tomorow, youd have to drive to the workshop in the city.

Hey Buddy,
    Hmm, interesting about the tacks... I was underneath the car tapping them to see if any we're broken off, but they all seemed ok. Maybe, one of them is coming off just enough to be making the horrible noise. it sounds exactly like metal scraping on concrete! I just can't imagine one of those tacks making such a racket. I'll take it to the exhaust place who installed the cat tommorow morning.
    They'll probably know straight away..

Thanks for the help buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by sproose16v
    JAS!

I had a problem in the 16 valve where one of the tacks that holds the heat shield on the cat had broken and it was only been held on by 3 welds. Therefore at low revs (idle) it would vibrate and sound like i had a really bad problem. Double check just incase mate.

I had an identical problem until a couple of days ago. I needed a new centre muffler anyway, so I got the guy to fix this while he was at it. Talk about a horrible noise... scratched the eardrums.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

I had an identical problem until a couple of days ago. I needed a new centre muffler anyway, so I got the guy to fix this while he was at it. Talk about a horrible noise... scratched the eardrums.

Yeah the noise is nasty! I seriously thought my exhaust had dropped off & was dragging along the road when i first heard it.

So it was one of the tack welds? is that what your saying refering to the bold text

Your car was running excessively rich from your previous posts. This will cause the converter to overheat, causing the ceramic matrix to fall apart and probably block the exhaust. There may be more power available yet from your cam change, if your converter has collapsed!
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Your car was running excessively rich from your previous posts. This will cause the converter to overheat, causing the ceramic matrix to fall apart and probably block the exhaust. There may be more power available yet from your cam change, if your converter has collapsed!

That thought has been running through my head aswell, I'm really hoping it's not. I think if it was blocked it would be running like shite though, & its not.. so I doubt it.

Jason,

Sounds like the guts of the cat has come loose. My BX has the same which is a pain around town with eveybody turning to look as you sound like a wheelbarrow of nuts & bolts coming down the street. I find if I take it for a reasonably hard run it tightens it up and at one stage that quietened it for a few months. Mine's done it for quite a while on & off but at the end of the day, I reckon I'll have to replace it.
    Regardless of whether it's a genuine or non genuine part, at that age you'd reckon there'd have to be some kind of warranty on it.
    Keep us posted on what transpires with it & if it doesn't get fixed under warranty, better also let us know the brand of it so the rest of us can avoid them.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason20
    So it was one of the tack welds? is that what your saying refering to the bold text
    Yep, it was the tack welds on the cat - which was/is only about 2 months old.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Quote Originally Posted by LookingforMi16
    Yep, it was the tack welds on the cat - which was/is only about 2 months old.
    Same with mine, it was just the heat shield. I had it removed..

I told ya didnt i! Mate its good to see that you werent up for another cat! I rember when it happened to mine, was driving intot eh city in peak hour traffic, everyone was just looking at me and you could see what they were thinking!

Anyway good to see man! I get my licence back next week, we should go for a cruise!
    1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

I told ya didnt i! Mate its good to see that you werent up for another cat! I rember when it happened to mine, was driving intot eh city in peak hour traffic, everyone was just looking at me and you could see what they were thinking!

Anyway good to see man! I get my licence back next week, we should go for a cruise!

Yeah buddy, I was lucky, my cars still making a few unexplained noises.. it's kinda frustrating, I've looked at the car top to bottom & can't figure out whats causing it. I just turn the stereo up so I can't hear it.

Send me a pm if you want to meet up for a cruise, one of my mates has nearly finish supercharging his mini cooper. We're planning a bit of a cruise soon. You can come along if you like.

Unexplained noises? That means its ok.

Seriously though, my car has far too many noises for one engine! I have a brraapp noise from 2-3k when the engine hasn't warmed up. I have a rattle under load from 2.5-4k when it has warmed up. I have a noticeable "bolts in a blender" sound under load from the top end, and more interior squeaks and rattles than you can poke a stick at!

Oh well, all comes with ownership of a french car. But at 180k my engine is coming out and those rattles will be gone. I won't rest until there are no noises left except for vroom.

Thread Information