505 Sti viscous fan alternative
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 Sti viscous fan alternative

Hi,

Firstly many thanks to those who answered my previous threads.

I recently found out that the viscous clutch fan on my Peugeot 505 STi is ready for retirement. Quoted $600 for a new one.

Possibility of doing conversion to electric/thermostat setup (e.g. with a Davies Craig 16" - apparently 14" doesn't give enough air flow), but this will still cost me around $350 for new parts. Of course (as mentioned in a previous thread) I can find a s/hand electric fan at wreckers (e.g. off a Nissan Bluebird I think) for around $25 and then fit it.

Advertisement

When I was at a wreckers today looking for an electric fan I noticed a pile of viscous clutch fans sitting there. By eyeball I estimated that a Corona XT130 fan might have the right bolt centre diameter but I am unsure about the spigot hole. Need to pull my off the STi and measure it first.

Was wondering if anyone else had fitted an alternative viscous clutch fan and, if so, what one and what modifications, in any, were required. E.g. Stewart from Charles St Auto has fitted a Skyline viscous clutch fan to an STi (or GTi) and had to make up a bush and slot the bolt holes to fit.

Hope to hear from someone!

Cheers, Todd

anythings possible but I wouldnt bother - electric is quiter, more efficient and all round better. A better option if you have to muck about with getting stuff to fit anyway.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

it would just be a matter of taking yours off and take it along with you to find something the same or close to it and modify it to fit

i had one go on a 604 once and i replaced it with a volvo one which was slightly different

all i had to do was slot out the mounting holes and mount it in and it never ever played up

the part then cost me $50 2nd hand so i was pretty happy about that
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thanks Haakon and pugrambo. I appreciate your quick replies. I think I am determined to avoid too many mods and might go down the viscous clutch path...

I am really enjoying driving this STi. Solid as a rock.

Went down to the wreckers on Saturday arvo. Purchased a viscous clutch fan from a Toyota Corona XT130 for $25. I first thought it would go straight on, but I had to ream out the bolt holes 0.5mm oversize and then it bolted straight on to the STi. Engine temperature is now spot on and the fan works perfectly. I felt quite releaved after my initial shock of the $600 genuine replacement. Was a bit hard to swallow having only paid roughly 3 times that for the car!

Although the fan seems to be running true on the spigot I will be making up a bush to ensure the Corona fan is dead on centre. The hole for the spigot in the Corona fan hub is a little bigger than for the 505.

There is also a viscous unit that fits a model of Holden that fits with a little modification, that cost me $110 new, the local repco just matched one for me.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Thread Information