Tacho wire 20_NR_1 ID comfirmation on R17 1312
  • Help

Default Tacho wire 20_NR_1 ID comfirmation on R17 1312

I still have an issue with my Tacho. When driving at mostly high speeds, it can just drop randomly from 3000 way down to 1000. General town driving 50-60km I don't see the problem much, but every now and then it can happen. I've had the instrument panel loose now for a year doing a little refurbishing and swapping out dead n old bulbs (never got the LED's to work). I changed out the tacho because the old one got stuck at 3000 and found that to be mechanical within the tacho. Cleaned the copper contact areas on the printed boards.
    But I have this problem still. Looking on the web it points to the wiring or fuses. The wiring diagram I have from the factory manual M.R.156 show the coil (New GT 40) with wire 20_NR_1 and the dash connection show another of wire 20_NR_1.
    But it is on the larger connection (8 block plug on wiring loom) to the printed circuit on the left hand side (???) of the instrument panel. Does it connect to the tacho from that side via some black wires that connect the two printed circuits? It looks that way.
    The connection (5 block with 4 wires)on the right circuit shows no wire 20_NR_1 on the diagram. This why I think they are connected via the connecting black wires on the back of the panel.
    But in saying all this my I think it's bad wiring and bad earth which I should find. The tacho seems to work fine. Note: And all ignition consumables are quite new and running well.

Advertisement

So I would like some help to confirm that wire 20_NR_1 is the Tacho wire on a R17 1312.
    No. 20 - Black & Pink - 19 gauge
    Cheers in advanceJohn
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

COL

Hi John

After a quick look at the workshop manual I have here, I can confirm that wire 20_NR_1 is the Tacho wire on a R17 1312.
    No. 20 - Black & Pink - 19 gauge.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thanks Col
    After I wrote the above, I decided to lift out the panel and check where 20_NR_1 routes too.
    I removed the circuit board with the black wires still attached that run to the other circuit board. I carefully removed the voltage meter to show the copper circuitry hidden underneath. I found 20_NR_1 does lead to a black wire that runs to the back of the tacho. The other tacho wire must be the earth. I wiggled and turned all black wires making sure the brass ends have a solid connection. Hopefully this will help. I don't know where the earth points under the dash are though. I also confirmed the wire at the coil end is a 20_NR_1 wire. So really there is not much in between. Or I could run a fresh wire straight to the back of the tacho to test for a while.
    Cheers again Col.

COL

Hi John

The problem you are having could be in the tacho itself.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi John

The problem you are having could be in the tacho itself.
    Could be Col. But I have to try. There is a few electrical chores I also want to right. The interior lights are not operational nor the boot.
    Are these units repairable by an instrument technician?

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    Could be Col. But I have to try. There is a few electrical chores I also want to right. The interior lights are not operational nor the boot.
    Are these units repairable by an instrument technician?
    Yes should be, but if the tacho itself is faulty it maybe cheaper to source a good second hand one.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Thread Information