Poor quality hoses on Peugeot
  • Help

Default Poor quality hoses on Peugeot

Not really. Our 1995 306 heater hose fittings have started cracking and have been replaced.

I reckon the quality of these hoses (the main ones on the car are the 22-year old originals and fine so far) is just outstanding.

Cheers

Advertisement
    Last edited by JohnW; 24th March 2017 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Fittings cracked not hoses!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi John,

I'm not surprised by your post...

Having gained a pair of 306s (XSI - 2000 with 200k km/XT 'Rallye' 2001 with 260k km respectively) I was impressed to see both appear to have original radiator hoses/radiators - based on the manufacturing dates on them!
    Shame about the heater matrix quality though as one of the cars might need one. There's no coolant loss at the moment but I get a faint waft of coolant through the vents from time to time.
    Both had faulty rear hatch wiper relays - controls the delay wipe and motor.
    The radiator cooling fans seem to just wear out over time...

I've also had to replace most of the instrument panel lamps.

I'm going to write a letter of disgust to Peugeot now

Cheers,

Chris

At last, a response!!

There was a tale circulating a few years ago that Valeo were recommending Bars Leaks as a preventative for the heater matrices. I could never quite bring myself to do that.....

We've replaced two, both just out of warranty. At about 18 years I think, the AC evaporator failed, so we changed the heater matrix when the car was apart, just in case. The Xantia's failed at about 14 years if I recall, which is forgivable.

I was driving our 306 the other day, after a service, and I'm very pleasantly surprised how well it drives for a 220,000 km car after 22 years of ownership. The heater hose failure was, on reflection, fittings not hoses too. I think the 306 is just an outstanding vehicle - at the time we bought it, the cost was less than a comparably equipped Toyota Corolla, and less than a Golf with, in my judgement, similar build quality and a lower top gear cruising ratio, a smaller fuel tank, no factory sunroof option and an inferior ride/handling compromise. The only disappointing failing in ours has been heater matrix failures, not unique to Peugeots but given where they ARE, I'd have preferred to pay for a Rolls-Royce one!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Johnno,
    After the first or second matrix failure I would have hied meself down to Pirtek and bought a small gate valve or cock to continue the coolant circulation, by-passing the blasted matrix. Do you find a heater necessary with the current use of the 306?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Johnno,
    After the first or second matrix failure I would have hied meself down to Pirtek and bought a small gate valve or cock to continue the coolant circulation, by-passing the blasted matrix. Do you find a heater necessary with the current use of the 306?
    Just connecting the heater hoses to maintain that circulation by short-circuiting the matrix is the standard approach I think. It was Alex's car, so yes, in winter she wanted the heater. There were rumours about a certain dealer and tap water back then..... I visited a big UK dealer at the time and they said it was an uncommon failure there.

It is now our daughter's car and drives so well. Really nice supple suspension - about the last Peugeot before their old suspension design chief retired and they lost the plot in the ride department.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

They are still one of my favourite cars. Such a great design, IMO.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

The plastic pipes which go between the heater hoses and the matrix on my Mitsubishi Magna just cracked and leaked coolant into the car. Had to take out the seats and carpet. However after 17 years and 180,000 Ks I guess that's almost reasonable....though if they were metal it wouldn't have happened.

My 32 year old Peugeot 505 has no heater probs whatsoever.

Thread Information