760 V6 motors
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 760 V6 motors

Default 760 V6 motors

Just a quickie, are the 760 ovlov V6 motors the same as the 260 ones?

These one's had the electronic fuel injection and the injectors mounted into the manifold insted of the head, so I've been told, so they should be easy to bolt a carby onto?

Has anyone used one of these motors in their Pug?

I've been searching on the net for info on them, but I haven't had much luck yet.

Thanks for any help

Advertisement
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2 pugs
    Just a quickie, are the 760 ovlov V6 motors the same as the 260 ones?

These one's had the electronic fuel injection and the injectors mounted into the manifold insted of the head, so I've been told, so they should be easy to bolt a carby onto?

Has anyone used one of these motors in their Pug?

I've been searching on the net for info on them, but I haven't had much luck yet.

Thanks for any help

basically they are the same but the spacing between the heads is different and as such the mainfolds are not interchangeable

also they run a 6 journal crank making them an even fire engine

you can mount the injectors from the 260 series into the manifold and still use the pug heads from what i have found out

i'll either use pug heads with a modified inlet or the volvo heads yet but i am more inclined to use the pug heads and use the 2849 liners and still retain the 3 journal odd fire crank

as much as i would like to go for electronic injection the mechanical system used on the volvo is pretty straight forward and easy to fathom out

with the mechanical version you also have to use the volvo water pump BTW

in the interim i am after an early 504 air filter to modify for the carb on the 604 as i have had in the past with great results
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thanks.

I was looking at one but didnt want to mess around with injection at the moment.
    Looks like it'll be easier and cheaper to rebuild the 2.7 at the moment.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Thanks.

I was looking at one but didnt want to mess around with injection at the moment.
    Looks like it'll be easier and cheaper to rebuild the 2.7 at the moment.

yours blew the head gasket didn't it ?

how many km's are on the engine ?

what are your plans with rebuilding the engine, ie how far are you looking at going with it ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

We replaced the head gaskets, but it didn't solve the problem.

We're going to strip down the motor and rebuild it this time
    If that doesn't work it'll be time for the shell/redhead fix

still loosing water ?

bubbles in the radiator ?

water in the oil ?

when you filled it up did you use a funnel to get the water level higher than the engine and pump the hoses by hand to get all the air out

how much water is it loosing or is it missing when running and pumping out steam ?

there are quite a few places where water can leak from on the PRV engine

also when putting everything together make sure the overflow line on the top of the water pump is clean so that coolant can get to the bottle otherwise you get pressure build up
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    still loosing water ?

bubbles in the radiator ?

water in the oil ?

when you filled it up did you use a funnel to get the water level higher than the engine and pump the hoses by hand to get all the air out

how much water is it loosing or is it missing when running and pumping out steam ?

there are quite a few places where water can leak from on the PRV engine

also when putting everything together make sure the overflow line on the top of the water pump is clean so that coolant can get to the bottle otherwise you get pressure build up
    It's doing all of the above

There's about 250,000 on the motor, so a freshen up will give it a new lease of life.
    The adventure begins this weekend

It's doing all of the above

There's about 250,000 on the motor, so a freshen up will give it a new lease of life.
    The adventure begins this weekend

not good

hopefully it's only liner seals and nothing major like a corroded block

let us know how you go

i do know of a near complete PRV sitting in a 604 not far from here if it comes down to you needing any major bits
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

If I can just clarify the comments comparing the Volvo 760 even fire with a Peugeot 604, the heads are in the same place and exhaust manifolds are interchangeable however the inlet port of the even fire motor is higher up the head which creates a dramatically better inlet port for flow. This does mean however that inlet manifolds are not interchangeable. The other issue with using an even fire motor is that the engine management computer controls the spark, there is no separate ignition triggering mechanism, only a high tension distributor on the end of the passenger side camshaft.
    Last edited by OddFireV6; 26th April 2004 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Fellow Frogger!

OddfireV6, what sort of turbo/s are you running on the 505V6?

Are you using an LSD?

I'm using an ancient T04 with a Commode/ nissan centre housing, an external 42mm wastegate with variable boost control and an intercooler from a Toyota Supra, the engine is a standard 2850cc oddfire Volvo. This setup will be for sale eventually I'm moving to a 3 litre evenfire and twin turbos. I suggest you to join the Peugeot club of Victoria where I regularly write on the joys of making 504s and 505s go fast.

And yes both the 505 and 504 have LSDs, I would not be without them, the factory parts to convert are around $450 new and only take a few hours to fit. The unit in the 504 has performed faultlessly, often used in competition, for over 10 years.
    Last edited by OddFireV6; 3rd May 2004 at 01:22 PM. Reason: forgot the diff
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Fellow Frogger!

Icon4

TO4??? It must fly!!! How much bhp are you getting at the wheels? Which Supra Intercooler are you using, the 2, 2.5 or 3 litre version? Where do you get the LSD bits?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Nisspug
    TO4??? It must fly!!! How much bhp are you getting at the wheels? Which Supra Intercooler are you using, the 2, 2.5 or 3 litre version? Where do you get the LSD bits?

Graham Wallis

It goes OK, particulary in the launch, but the twin turbo (2* TDO4L) 505 V6 turbo sucks the doors off mine, it has never been on a dyno but compared to my 'normal' cars, a C36 AMG Merc and the 406 V6 I'd say its in between them somewhere. A pertinent point is that both turbo V6 505s I'm talking about run straight LP gas, if you know your fuels Victorian LP Gas is about 110 octane, higher than premium unleaded so you can crank up the boost to compensate for a lower energy per litre than petrol.

I source my diff bits from European Auto imports in 23 Clarice St. Box Hill Victoria.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Fellow Frogger!

Icon4

Just a thought, but I've read that the Supra intercoolers are quite restrictive and by installing a bigger aftermarket 'cooler the improvement in power is quite dramatic, especially with a big flowing beast like the TO4.

Thread Information