LS1 coils and Haltech
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: LS1 coils and Haltech

VIP Sponsor

Default LS1 coils and Haltech

I have an LS1 coil getting very hot while sitting there with ignition on and engine not running. Also engine running on three maybe two cylinders
    I have heard this will happen if ECU is configured incorrectly with regard to rising and falling edge triggering, but the other 3 coils seem OK.
    Can you configure the Haltech differently on each of the 4 ignition outputs.
    Also where is the best place to get the tuning software and what is it called, I have only found repair software.
    Computer connection is via the RJ45 socket, USB or serial?
    I feel like fitting a Megasquirt, I know how these work!

Advertisement

I have used Haltech for many years with no problems , what model are you using .
    Haltech website has a lot of down loads.
    The coils can not be set up independently on any Haltech I have used .

What are you using for a trigger?
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

You can download the software from the Haltech site. It will allow you to interrogate some things. There is no way to set differences between coils. If you splash voltage across any of the LS1 coils they are prone to fail. See if you can borrow one and try it out. You don't need to buy Haltech coils, go to any decent auto parts store and you can buy after market LS1 coils, about $90 each. Check earthing, the ECU switches earth for coil firing.

Good luck, I hope you get it going properly soon.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

VIP Sponsor

Thanks Andy and Ben.
    I will get an LS1 plug and test it independently, if that checks out OK I will try reloading the firmware, after I find it and hopefully load onto my ancient lap top.
    I'm using the standard 60-2 flywheel trigger. I have to say that it is a bit all over the place when cranking, backfiring etc. All OK after it starts except for the missing cylinders. Sprint 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    I have used Haltech for many years with no problems , what model are you using .
    Haltech website has a lot of down loads.
    The coils can not be set up independently on any Haltech I have used .

What are you using for a trigger?

VIP Sponsor

Didn't get far with the firmware, does anyone know what software you need to open an .hfm file?

Possibly a Haltec Firmware file ?

To do firmware updates normally you download the appropriate *.Exe file and run it , it will "suck" up the firmware file and updates the device.

That's how it is in computer devices anyway.

VIP Sponsor

Yes, but my computer doesn't have the required ability to handle the hfm file that results from this action. I'll do a search.

As I said I the phone, if you're running wasted spark, I'm sure you'll only get ignition out of IGN1 and IGN2. The other two outputs could be doing anything. I normally connect #1 and #4 to IGN1 and #2 and #3 to IGN2. Send me a copy of the map and I'll have a look for you.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Not set up for wasted spark, but maybe it has set itself to that mode? would make sense in light of what is happening.
    Ben and/or his tuner hopefully can find the map, although will be able to upload from ECU?. No idea yet as to how to access any of this, at least I now know it uses a printer cable.
    Run up against a brick wall so far with the .hfm file opening, as yet nothing useful on the internet. I may contact the Haltech help forum for that.
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 13th February 2017 at 10:26 AM.

VIP Sponsor

Can someone please tell me the name of the tuning software for a Sprint 500? I need to get a handle on how things are labelled in the Haltech world.

Download the latest version of ECU Manager from the Haltech site. Connect with USB cable.

Once you've connected you can save the map locally and email it to me. Unless the tuner is nasty and set a password.

VIP Sponsor

OK, after talking to Ben, it is in wasted spark mode, I was blinded to the possibility because it had 4 coils, my previous experience being limited to the device on 205 Si and 405 SRi.
    I'll do as you suggest Peter and am pretty certain it will then work.
    Pretty obvious now, case of brain overload with something new.
    At least all of this confusion has meant I have started to prepare myself to communicate with the ECU!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Yes, but my computer doesn't have the required ability to handle the hfm file that results from this action. I'll do a search.
    ECU Software & Firmware | Haltech - Engine Management Systems

The "reflashing" software is named "ECU Manager". This is what opens the file and installs The update to to the Haltech ROM (?)

VIP Sponsor

ECU manager is the tuning software, takes 10 minutes to download then disappears, the firmware as stated needs the ability to open an hfm fle.
    Hopefully the rewire of the LS1 coils will fix my problem and give me time to set up for Haltech before it needs a tune.
    Maybe I need a new computer?
    Actually it is difficult to buy a basic desk top these days, Harvey Norman told me they aren't made anymore but 10 minutes later I bought what I wanted at JB.

ECU manager is the tuning software, takes 10 minutes to download then disappears, the firmware as stated needs the ability to open an hfm fle.
    Hopefully the rewire of the LS1 coils will fix my problem and give me time to set up for Haltech before it needs a tune.
    Maybe I need a new computer?
    Actually it is difficult to buy a basic desk top these days, Harvey Norman told me they aren't made anymore but 10 minutes later I bought what I wanted at JB.
    System Packages - MSY Online

Yes, ECU Manager will also upgrade the firmware, but why do you have to? I rarely do a firmware upgrade. Only if I need a new feature.

Not sure what your PC issue is. Normally ECU Manager unpacks and installs like any other Windows app. and installs an icon on the desktop.

You definitely need ECU Manager if you want to see in real time what the engine is doing.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Ben suggested it as he cured a similar problem when he had the engine by updating the firmware. I couldn't get to the car this afternoon but I'm sure setting it up for wasted spark as discussed will fix it so NO need to reload the firmware.
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 13th February 2017 at 06:18 PM.

Sorry, I just don't understand why you need to reload the firmware, again. If it's done, it's done. Changing to wasted spark (and any other configuration) is easily done once you have ECU Manager open. You're making it harder than it needs to be. I wouldn't attempt a firmware update until you completely understand and know your way around the ECU Manager.

And what use is a desktop computer to you in a car? Just buy an XP laptop off ebay.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Sorry, typo, should have been no need.
    Download onto internet connected desktop then transfer to laptop, which I have.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Sorry, I just don't understand why you need to reload the firmware, again. If it's done, it's done. Changing to wasted spark (and any other configuration) is easily done once you have ECU Manager open. You're making it harder than it needs to be. I wouldn't attempt a firmware update until you completely understand and know your way around the ECU Manager.

And what use is a desktop computer to you in a car? Just buy an XP laptop off ebay.

1000+ Posts

I wonder if Graham is referring to Firmware, when in fact he means configuration.

The firmware is like the operating system. It contains all the features ready to be configured by the configuration file. For most devices, you would only update the firmware rarely, and then only once you have a solid backup of a working config. Constantly pushing the same firmware is not usually needed.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9, The Bend (International) 2:23.2
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

VIP Sponsor

No, firmware as discussed above. No need to continue with this as I have pointed out my typo. I'm sure that if I wire the coils as suggested by Peter, everything will be fine.
    Still trying to download the tuning software though, after unzipping, the file the original Haltech selection screen returns and if you select the tuning software you end up trying to run the repair software. I'll run out of data allowance if I try too many more times!

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    I wonder if Graham is referring to Firmware, when in fact he means configuration.

The firmware is like the operating system. It contains all the features ready to be configured by the configuration file. For most devices, you would only update the firmware rarely, and then only once you have a solid backup of a working config. Constantly pushing the same firmware is not usually needed.

1000+ Posts

Since your problem appears to be a computer problem (not a car problem) I will dare to offer suggestions... {although after reading subsequent post(s) most of this is probably not helpful}

The disappearing download seems to be your problem - assuming you are certain that the downloaded ECU manager is not sitting in your downloads folder waiting for you to find it and run it, then your download is crashing/failing to complete. If this has happened consistently several times then
    a) try a different web browser
    b) install (& use) a download manager such as FDM (Free Download Manager - download everything from the internet)
    c) could your anti-virus software be taking a dislike to the Haltech executable?
    d) download on a different computer, then transfer downloaded file on a USB stick and install it on your computer
    e) get someone (like PeterT) to email the ECU Manager as an attachment. Once saved you would need to install it of course...

The hfm file almost certainly IS the firmware file. I would expect that one of the functions of the ECU Manger would be to transfer the hfm file into the Haltech device. In any case, only a Haltech supplied program (.exe) will recognise it and know what to do with it. USB connection seems most likely, ethernet (RJ45) least likely!

Re. the coil getting hot - have you swapped that one with one of the other 3? If the same coil gets hot in a new location, then turf it and get a new one, however if the replacement coil gets hot (ie any coil in that specific location gets hot) then blame the Haltech unit.

Cheers

Alec

Edit - so you are unzipping and trying to install on the XP laptop? Does it have Anti-virus software? If the laptop is never connected to the Internet you would be pretty safe dumping it.

If there was a problem with the download, then the zip file would be incomplete and would be unlikely to open at all. Have you tried installing the software on your modern desktop? Not practical for attaching to the car, but just to see what happens - if it behaves differently then maybe there is a problem with the laptop...
    Last edited by Armidillo; 13th February 2017 at 06:28 PM.

VIP Sponsor

ECU manager is 150 meg so can't email. I've just lost the latest download, everything works , unzips etc) then I can't find where it went, not on the start menu that I can see.
    No problem re the coils, as I have said, I have wired it as sequential spark, the ECU is configured for wasted spark so two of the ignition outputs are not controlled meaning at the moment a constant trigger to one of the coils. Should be all OK tomorrow.

VIP Sponsor

Found where the tuning software went to, I'm not having a good day!
    Even made a stuff up fitting a rear hub to my rally car, forgot to bolt the caliper holder back in place first.

No, firmware as discussed above. No need to continue with this as I have pointed out my typo. I'm sure that if I wire the coils as suggested by Peter, everything will be fine.
    Still trying to download the tuning software though, after unzipping, the file the original Haltech selection screen returns and if you select the tuning software you end up trying to run the repair software. I'll run out of data allowance if I try too many more times!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information