2004 Megane Front Indicator not working - quick fix
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2004 Megane Front Indicator not working - quick fix

IWS

Icon7 2004 Megane Front Indicator not working - quick fix

Daughter arrived in her (2004) Megane today saying "Daddy, the indicators are being silly ..."

Inspection revealed back indicator working - front not.

Hmmm, have changed the headlight bulbs a few times and that is a real pain. Jack up car, remove front wheel to get decent access ... Wondered if it was the same procedure for the inidcators.

Off to Google - found this post

He/she said:

"I'm a Renault mechanic and have done this many times and it is a terrible design... lock your steering out left or right depending on which side is blown you will see a removable cover which you might need a screwdriver to pop off..now this is tricky and make sure you take off your watch or your arm will get stuck put your hand up and feel around for a flat plastic leg about an inch long this is the holder that the bulb sits into then screws into the lamp most of the time the bulb isn't blown its just this holder comes loose so turn on your indicators and twist the holder to tighten it and they more than likely will start working again as this closes the contacts between the bulb and the lamp.."

And so indeed it was! Wheel did not need to come off. Access good enough with the wheel on (and on hard lock) to remove the cover and re-seat the bulb. Now working!

Thought I would share this here - for other Megane owners who might not have discovered this tip

Advertisement

Ian.

I had to take off the whole bumper and headlight assembly to change an indicator globe in our Megane 2 (facelift model) - that globe holder wouldn't clear a bit of the car's frame.

My globe wasnt blown either, but it was the globe-holder contacts that needed wiggling... A lot of work on a cold dark winter's evening just to clean some contacts!!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    I had to take off the whole bumper and headlight assembly to change an indicator globe in our Megane 2 (facelift model) - that globe holder wouldn't clear a bit of the car's frame.

My globe wasnt blown either, but it was the globe-holder contacts that needed wiggling... A lot of work on a cold dark winter's evening just to clean some contacts!!
    Unbelievably bad design! It is stuff like this that gives Renault a bad name with mechanics (in Australia in particular).

Oh I wish for the days of my old 404. Everything easily accessible!

Ian.

1000+ Posts

Icon4 Holding megane globes in..

One of my headlight bulbs stopped working, and that had been noted and "fixed" on various services (no charge I think) as the bulb had worked loose to, last time, I had a look myself and found it loose but still working, so devised a buffer between the base of the light and the cap, to help it ground itself, then did a jury rig bungy cord pressure fix, so far so good, has worked since. - my only concern was any build up of heat between the packing and the globe.

Unfortunately I don't have small delicate hands, so it is a bit hard getting the globes in and out of the holder - made for female French mechanics with small hands!!

Ken

Good work sharing these sorts of fixes. Access to lights on every pug I've owned has been excellent with the exception of the fog lights on my 306 - they are pure puss to work on. Never owned other French marques.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Thread Information