Matra windscreen and the rubbers
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Matra windscreen and the rubbers

Icon10 Matra windscreen and the rubbers

Hi All,

Advertisement

We have ordered a new full set of window and door rubbers for the Matra. I have installed two or three old school windscreens before and I have heard the "its easy" phrase a few times as well but I didn't think it was easy. I have a few questions and need help from you professionals out there.

1) When cutting the new rubber to size, do you put it onto the glass to get the correct length or do you put it in the body frame?
    2) When installing, do you fit the string in the glass's groove or in the frames' groove?
    3) Does this string start at the top or bottom?
    4) What lubricant is the best to use?
    5) What is the best for waterproofing the window?
    6) When the correct length has been determined and it is cut to size, what glue is best to join it with? I have used "Super glue" successfully in the past.
    7) Where is the best position for the joint to be? Top or bottom?
    7) Has anybody bent an Aluminium channel and managed to keep the channel in its original shape? This channel is identical to the ones used on the Floride and Caravelle hardtop where the rubber seal slides into its grooves. It is sold in straight lengths.

I would appreciate any help to make things easier so that it becomes "easy"

Regards Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

1) When cutting the new rubber to size, do you put it onto the glass to get the correct length or do you put it in the body frame?

I would put it into the body frame.

2) When installing, do you fit the string in the glass's groove or in the frames' groove?

The frame groove.

3) Does this string start at the top or bottom?

I have the two ends crossing at the middle on the bottom. You need to put the bottom of the windscreen in first as gravity can tend to work against you otherwise.

4) What lubricant is the best to use?

I use silicone spray. Tyre Shine will work OK.

5) What is the best for waterproofing the window?

I don't use any other sealant.

6) When the correct length has been determined and it is cut to size, what glue is best to join it with? I have used "Super glue" successfully in the past.

I have also used Superglue, although it is the Loctite product 901?

7) Where is the best position for the joint to be? Top or bottom?

If the joint has been well aligned when glued it shouldn't matter. Probably less likely to leak if at the top, but is a bit more obvious.

7) Has anybody bent an Aluminium channel and managed to keep the channel in its original shape? This channel is identical to the ones used on the Floride and Caravelle hardtop where the rubber seal slides into its grooves. It is sold in straight lengths.

I haven't tried, but it sounds like a tough exercise.

When putting in your windscreen it is handy to have someone to push from the outside to hold some pressure down on it as you slowly pull the cord out to pull the rubber over the frame edge. I use mower starter cord approx 4mm. Use some tape to hold the cord out of the way on the inside of the windscreen whilst moving the windscreen into place.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

G'day Frans,

Congratulations on this important milestone.

Further to what Alan said, I can offer the following as an amater who has installed 6 old Reno windscreens, and yes, it is easy.

1) Dunno, have always bought them complete.

2) The string goes in the frame groove as below

3) Start at the bottom inside ( have an assistant outside applying light inward pressure as you pull the cord)

4) I just used a spray bottle with soap n water as a lubricant

5) I could only recommend you buy a tube of sealant from your local windscreen place

6) Superglue does seems to work well on rubber

7) I reckon a tradesman's touch would be to put the join at the bottom centre

7a) If you try to bend the aluminium retainer you will need some temporary solid packing to stop it distorting at the bend (see suggestion below, two pieces of aluminium 100 long shaped and pop riveted in position at the bend to be removed after bending).

Further to the above: There are a couple of traps for young players to be aware of.

1) If your windscreen has stainless trims, they will need to be in place before the windscreen/rubber assembly is installed in the car.

2) Go to the trouble of measuring the centre point of your windscreen and mark it with masking tape and pen, do the same with the body shell. Get the glass centred before you start the cord pulling process because its impossible to re-centre the glass if you get it wrong.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matra windscreen and the rubbers-matra.jpg   Matra windscreen and the rubbers-img_4827.jpg   Matra windscreen and the rubbers-img_4829.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 26th January 2017 at 01:03 PM.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Finally, rear windscreens are safety glass and really quite difficult to break unless hit with a hard object.

So if you find the screen still sitting out from where you expect it to be (which does sometimes happen), you may need to "massage" the rubber in a little. Make a fist and give it a good solid thumping with the meaty part. Seriously !
    Preferably whilst your friend is pushing inwards with his weight on the screen at the same time.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Finally, rear windscreens are safety glass and really quite difficult to break unless hit with a hard object.

So if you find the screen still sitting out from where you expect it to be (which does sometimes happen), you may need to "massage" the rubber in a little. Make a fist and give it a good solid thumping with the meaty part. Seriously !
    Preferably whilst your friend is pushing inwards with his weight on the screen at the same time.
    um, the rear screen on a djet is very flexible plastic - anyone who pushed inwards with his weight on it would swiftly be an ex-mate (with blistered ear drums)

cheers! Peter

Hi,

Thank you for the replies. Good tips there such as marking the center lines which I've never done. The chrome beading, I didn't know that it should be put in first, I've battled my backside off installing it after installation making special tools and using and experimenting with different lubricants etc.n and then it would take me hours to do.

59 Floride, I thought about a type of spacer as you recommended and will do that. I was wondering if a little heat wouldn't assist in the trick? Although I realise that aluminium doesn't warn you when it gets too hot.

The rear window is indeed Poly-something. We had a new one bent/shaped using hi-impact scratch proof Lexan. The old one has a few scratches and the UV rays has done some colour changing as well. The scratch proof Lexan (brand name) stands up to scratches very well because I have it in my race car and since 2009 it is still scratch-less, however I do treat it nicely.

Luckily the rubbers will be new and soft, and the glass shape is very rounded, so I am sure it is going to be "easy".

Regards, Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Good luck with that one Frans!

The R8 stainless trim is to be fitted before the seal goes into the car, I understand. Last time I had a new screen/rubber fitted (yes, I paid!!) they ignored this, although in fairness they were pretty experienced windscreen fairies. It took him 40 minutes to get the first of the 4 quarter pieces onto fine grooves in the rubber, 25 minutes for the second and so on.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Yes it makes an easy job of it if the trims are installed upfront while you still have it on a bench and the rubbers are co-operative. Once it is installed in the car there is the risk of damaging the paint if using tool, screw drivers, hooks etc. to manipulate the trims in. Depending on the design of the trims, some are embedded deep in the rubber and some not.

But fitting a windscreen should be an easy affair, install, wipe finger marks off, give it a kiss then go have a cuppa.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matra windscreen and the rubbers-img_3511.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 27th January 2017 at 09:28 AM.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Thread Information