Modding an XU10 block for oil squirters
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Modding an XU10 block for oil squirters

1000+ Posts

Default Modding an XU10 block for oil squirters

I have a quite good XU10j4R block, same as any XU10 I suspect but it lacks the oil jets that spray up into the pistons. These lie between the crank weights directly under each bore.

Advertisement

Is it possible to machine the holes and threads to bring this into operation? Or can I just run the J4RS without, although as compression goes up heat must be controlled / managed / removed.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Yes, but the cost of set up and machining for a one off job will be prohibitively expensive. Many high performance engines run without oil jets. If it bugs you, XU10J4 and diesel blocks also have jets. The diesels jets are a lot bigger however, so you'll need to fit petrol jets anyway to conserve oil pressure.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Ah, thanks Peter yes I figured it was a one off, I have the J4r block with only a little wear, finding a J4 with limited use would be difficult I believe? Makes sense and my plan at this stage is to go to high compression like Mangy and cat cams on E85 or 98 if possible, Will ask the shop of indicative costing to see if I am really prepared for it.,

Thanks for the confirmation, makes sense, they make one block and apply it many ways, this way all Xu10 will have same cooling galleries and head oil / water interfaces. Swap and mix wonderland. Understand the oil pressure thing, it wonderfully high currently with a 6bar spring so no more xu9 oil starvation things.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

At least the engine type can be used to identify weather it has the oil squirters or not.
    Isuzu Rodeo 2.8 diesel engines are a different story.
    Short of stripping them down the only way to find out is to contact Isuzu with the engine number.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Yes, but the cost of set up and machining for a one off job will be prohibitively expensive. Many high performance engines run without oil jets. If it bugs you, XU10J4 and diesel blocks also have jets. The diesels jets are a lot bigger however, so you'll need to fit petrol jets anyway to conserve oil pressure.
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but curious about the interchangeability of the diesel blocks...

Which diesel blocks have the oil squirters, Peter? I'm guessing the non-turbo XUD11 as it's the only 86mm XUD, or is it one of the newer DWs?

Is it straight forward to swap the squirters and do the blocks bolt up to XU10 heads etc without modification?

Cheers!

Sent from my BBB100-2 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Current rides:
    '99 Honda VFR800 (daily)
    '02 Ducati 998 (weekender)

Current Project:
    405 Mi16 2.045L
    http://goo.gl/ha5jLL

Past rides:
    156 GTA
    https://youtu.be/HmKwwCwGrVg
    https://youtu.be/y-kgE4HyWzk