Turning a 406 Coupe into a Peugeot
  • Register
  • Help

Default Turning a 406 Coupe into a Peugeot

Is this possible?

Mine has near-new tyres on the front, everything works perfectly, and it steers like something other than a Pug...

Advertisement

Also, the real Peugeot ride-handling compromise is, in my experience (205GTi, 306GTi6, 504, 505 V6, 406 etc.) quasi-miraculous. The 406 Coupe is harsh, yet does not have the road-holding of a real Pug.

And the seats give me a back-ache!

After owning this beast for a year, I'm thinking that whereas Peugeot usually design their chassis and then tell the body people to wrap something around it, in this case the brief was that Pininfarina design the best looking car in the world, and here's some 406 running gear to stuff in under those stunning lines as an afterthought.

So, the question is, has anybody put in the effort of trying - on the track - different aftermarket spring and damper and possibly other components (e.g. links etc. to change geometry) to find a superior - ideally, vastly superior, set-up? If so, is there a consensus on what to use?
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

Default Turning a 406 Coupe into a Peugeot

I may not be of much assistance here given I lowered my coupe (Eibach springs) and fitted 19" wheels. It was of course more rough over the bumps with the above fitted, but I never found that it had any problems with road holding, in fact it's grip levels were quite impressive and it was very neutral on the limit. I did always have high quality tyres fitted which may have helped.

My main complaint was the steering feel. The 406 (coupe and sedan) was always over assisted in my opinion. WAY too light. Nothing like the feel in the other cars you have listed. The steering may possibly not provide the confidence / feedback that you are used to to help exploit the grip levels?

With regards to the ride comfort, how old are the shocks? I'm not sure you'd get anything smoother than the Peugeot setup with aftermarket spring / shock combos. Maybe it's due for some new OEM shocks?

Could the lack of grip potential be related to the tyres? What brand do you have fitted?

You're probably correct re the design process. My understanding is the chassis / suspension is basically the 406 sedan, but lower (so therefore less suspension travel).

Depending on how far you wanted to go, maybe some wider wheels / tyres? It is a large car and by modern standards has reasonably small rubber on 16x7 rims.

Anyway, just some comments / thoughts.
    Last edited by SilverGTi_6; 20th January 2017 at 08:55 AM.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Citroen C4 VTS

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

VIP Sponsor

Fully agree about the steering, they got it right again in the 407, but 508 seems to have reverted. Even the 208 GTi feels way too light but improves a little as speed rises.
    Yes the Coupe ride is terrible, bottoms out on freeway dips, can't offer any suggestions sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by aquinian View Post
    Is this possible?

Mine has near-new tyres on the front, everything works perfectly, and it steers like something other than a Pug...

Also, the real Peugeot ride-handling compromise is, in my experience (205GTi, 306GTi6, 504, 505 V6, 406 etc.) quasi-miraculous. The 406 Coupe is harsh, yet does not have the road-holding of a real Pug.

And the seats give me a back-ache!

After owning this beast for a year, I'm thinking that whereas Peugeot usually design their chassis and then tell the body people to wrap something around it, in this case the brief was that Pininfarina design the best looking car in the world, and here's some 406 running gear to stuff in under those stunning lines as an afterthought.

So, the question is, has anybody put in the effort of trying - on the track - different aftermarket spring and damper and possibly other components (e.g. links etc. to change geometry) to find a superior - ideally, vastly superior, set-up? If so, is there a consensus on what to use?

I was thinking of putting standard coupe springs in my sedan, assuming they fit straight in.
    Idea is mainly for cosmetic reasons - I understand they fit straight in (??) but are ~ 30 mm lower.
    Having read the above, I'm not so sure now!

I get a full wheel alignment done first. If you don't know what the numbers mean, take it to someone who does. Without that data you really can't make an decisions about why it doesn't steer/point well.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

A very large part of a car's handling can be put down to choice of tyres & tyre pressures. By the former I do not mean just size but tyre type within a size. The situation is compounded if different types are fitted front & rear & if they are at different points in the age & wear cycles.

So my question would be: what are the current tyre types, her levels & manufacturing dates?

I also endorse PeterT's remarks about alignment.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information