Street & Track Tyres for Renault R8
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Street & Track Tyres for Renault R8

Default Street & Track Tyres for Renault R8

I am looking to get a set of tyres for my Renault R8 project that are both suitable for street and track (hillclimbs, sprints etc). Tyre size required is 185/60 x 14.

On doing some preliminary research two brands/types keep coming up:

1. Toyo R888 &
    2. Advan A050R

Realistically I will be doing more street than track, so should be also suitable in the wet.

Advertisement

Any thoughts, good, bad or ugly on these tyres?

Also any alternatives that might be worth considering?

Angelo

Angelo. I started of with Dunlop Direzzas soft compounds on the race car. They are very good in the wet and excellent in the dry. Because of the soft compound they have a short life. By short life I mean 1.5 season or 1000 km racing.
    My ideal combo ended as Toyo R888 at the back and Dunlop Direzzas soft in front. Because of the weight at the back the harder Toyos grip very well and lasted now for a little more than 3 seasons and enough left to complete this season as well. Now I only need to replace the 2 fronts more often saving some money.
    I am still in awe with their wet performance. However, on a track you can avoid deep puddles and dont need so much water displacement characteristics as in fancy family cars but the wet grip is very good.
    Frans.

Thanks Frans for your informed words.
    I note your need for grip upfront with the excellent Dunlop Direzzas, but I (at this stage) don't think I will be giving the car such a hard time on the track as you (famously) have.
    So it appears that the Yoyo R888 will be fine all round - even in the wet?
    Have you heard any thing about the Advan A050 tyres?
    Angelo

I have not seen anybody race with the Advan tyres, at least not in our group.
    Frans.

You may find that Toyo R888 are being phased out and being replaced by Toyo R888R.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    You may find that Toyo R888 are being phased out and being replaced by Toyo R888R.
    Yes BIGRR I noticed they were new and the R888 are being phased out.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Angelo. I started of with Dunlop Direzzas soft compounds on the race car. They are very good in the wet and excellent in the dry. Because of the soft compound they have a short life. By short life I mean 1.5 season or 1000 km racing.
    My ideal combo ended as Toyo R888 at the back and Dunlop Direzzas soft in front. Because of the weight at the back the harder Toyos grip very well and lasted now for a little more than 3 seasons and enough left to complete this season as well. Now I only need to replace the 2 fronts more often saving some money.
    I am still in awe with their wet performance. However, on a track you can avoid deep puddles and dont need so much water displacement characteristics as in fancy family cars but the wet grip is very good.
    Frans.
    Frans
    On making some further enquiries, I note the R888R and Dunlop Direzzas 03G (and Advan) all come in Soft, Med and Hard compounds. You say you use the Soft compound for the front Dunlops, what about the rear Toyo's?
    Angelo

Nothing comes close to an AO50. I get them from Suspension Concepts who also heat treat them for a small fee.

They are the control tyre for Improved Production racing and work extremely well in the wet. Dry times are equivalent to slicks.
    Last edited by PeterT; 18th January 2017 at 06:32 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Forgot to mention....I have 13" wheels and Dunlop and Toyo are the only ones that do 13".

Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Avon out of the UK?
    KB

1000+ Posts

Hello Angelo, you say:

"Realistically I will be doing more street than track, so should be also suitable in the wet."

With that brief, & for l4" wheels, I would think very seriously about the Direzza ZII. I would also consider using tyre size to help balance the vehicle & fit 175/60-14 fronts & 185/60-14 rears (& then play with pressures).

Avons are reputedly very good wet tyres but chop out quickly in the dry.

The A050 R-spec has a good reputation (& is available in soft & medium compounds) but you can only get it in 185/60-14, not 175/60-14 for the fronts.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 21st January 2017 at 01:09 AM.

My set that I have just cleaned and packed for this weekend------

and then the ones I had specially made for the R8 --------

Frans.

Does number three from left in the top picture show more wear on the outside than the others, or is it just an artefact of the picture?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

No SZ they have only done 2 races. I think if the pic was taken with that wheel facing the other way as fitted on the car it would be the same wear because the shadows will then be the same.
    Frans.

I dont know if the Nankang NS2-R racing is awaliable to you but I just realised they are made in a few unusual dimmensions that might fit the R8. 155/65-13 and 185/60-13 and 175/50-13. Unfortunately not 175/60-13

Nankang Tyre UK - NS-2R

Tadpole

I have used the Kuhmo V720 on my Pug 306 Gti6 which is used in hillclimbs along with street use as well. I have found them to perform quite well. I think they make them in 14 inch as well.

https://www.kumho.com.au/tyres/passenger/ecsta-v720/

1000+ Posts

I suggest serious consideration of the fairly new Bridgestone RE71R if 14" wheels are the fitment (not available in 13").

cheers! Peter

VIP Sponsor

I had less than 100km from hard compound Dunlop Gravel tyres on my 309 in the last event.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Frans.

All still mucking around. Yoko AO50 is king of the semi-slick world.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I had less than 100km from hard compound Dunlop Gravel tyres on my 309 in the last event.
    Wow Graham that wasn't good. That could be because of FWD and all the weight on the front wheels however it is still bad. But that would also be a rally type tyre?

In my case with the light front and smooth surface I am much more happier with the life span and the grip I get.

Regards, Frans.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    All still mucking around. Yoko AO50 is king of the semi-slick world.
    As Peter says, the A050 is at the very sharp end of semi-slick tyres. Fairly expensive, but I expect you will eventually change them because of age and not wear on your car, although they don’t start with a lot of tread initially.
    Because I am tight and am not seriously racing, I put a set Nanking AR1s my BMW 2002 and was within 0.5 sec of my best at Lakeside on a 37 degree day that I had only 3 hrs sleep before in the tow car. A cooler day, less fuel in the tank, more sleep, and learn what pressures work, and it might have been close.

There is probably only 1.5 secs a lap between the best and worst semi slick on the market at Lakeside or Qld Raceway, in my experience. When you start chasing a time though, 1.5 secs is forever and can be difficult and expensive to find.

Might as well give yourself your best chance and get the A050, but you really shouldn’t continue to heat cycle them as road tyres if you are looking for their best performance.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Thread Information