407 V6 Auto Coupe Gearbox
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 407 V6 Auto Coupe Gearbox

Fellow Frogger!

Default 407 V6 Auto Coupe Gearbox

I have been dreading this day.
    I have had a 2006 Peugeot V6 2.7l diesel 6 speed auto since brand new. It has had limited use (76000k in 10 years). Driven sensibly.

about two years ago immediately after the 60000k service by the dealer gear changes seemed to get a bit lumpy particularly on the down change. It didn't happen everytime but enough for me to be a bit concerned.

today I took it for a run from Gladstone to Marlborough and back to pick up a couple of grandkids (36 degrees today) and I experienced what I would describe as slipping under mild excelleration from 5 to 6 gear. Bit like the bands were slipping.

also on mild to moderate excelleration through all gears it appears to be slipping/thumping on the up change and down change.

if I baby it and drive sedately no problem.

i noticed that when the dealer did the 60000k service he had the pan off the gearbox although I did not report any problem, he said it was part of the service. I though the gearboxes were sealed for life.

i have read of problem with these gearboxes and I hope I do not have a serious problem.

Advertisement

does anyone have an opinion please?

graham

Transmission fluid level too low.
    Last edited by dieselman; 13th January 2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dieselman View Post
    Tranmission fluid level too low.
    Thanks Leon but if it is sealed for life how does one put fluid in it.
    graham

Fellow Frogger!

Tranmission fluid level too low.
    surely the damn thing has a sensor to say if the fluid is too low. It tells me everything else. If tyre pressure is too low, if someone farts in the cabin, so surely it is smart enough to talk to me if fluid is low. I hope you are correct. I will take it to a local auto guy and ask him to check it.

The "sealed for life" is Peugeot's recommendation, but it probably isn't the best advice.
    I have the same gearbox in my C5 and I changed the fluid at 60000. I found the internal level drain pipe that is used to measure the correct level when refilling doesn't seem to have the level high enough. I had all sorts of slipping after I changed the fluid. I added another 0.5l of fluid and all was good again.
    Best to check to see if your mechanic drained or changed any fluid.
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD

Fellow Frogger!

The "sealed for life" is Peugeot's recommendation, but it probably isn't the best advice.
    I have the same gearbox in my C5 and I changed the fluid at 60000. I found the internal level drain pipe that is used to measure the correct level when refilling doesn't seem to have the level high enough. I had all sorts of slipping after I changed the fluid. I added another 0.5l of fluid and all was good again.
    Best to check to see if your mechanic drained or changed any fluid.
    thanks I will get onto it next week. I hope it is as simple as that. I have promised to give the car to my grandson next year when he gets his licence and I would hate to give him a piece of crap.
    graham

You can always give it to me ;-)
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD

Fellow Frogger!

You can always give it to me ;-)
    only if you call me grandad.

OK Grandad.
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD

UFO

"Sealed for life" is a misnomer, as the dealer has already demonstrated by removing the pan. At no time did anyone define "life". General opinion is that "life" means "until it craps itself".
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

It's a disgrace actually.

How there hasn't been a class action against Siemens and ZF I don't know?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger

It's an AM6 gearbox, basically the same Japanese gearbox used in many other makes and models and known as the TF80SC. Not Siemens (AL4) or ZF this time. The car is 10 years old and they can almost legally stop selling parts for it, so in a sense, sealed for life has done the job and probaly exceeded the expected life of many of the cars built with it. Not that it assists here. You can change the fluid (drain is only a part of the total capacity) and there are substitute fluids to suit it. There is a procedure to fill it correctly (the overflowing weir like the AL4) and you'd try a couple of changes before doing more, but the reality is it is likely to come down to a sticky electrovalve or worn bore in the valve block. A new valve block is the best solution if you need to do it, although it will cost a couple of thousand. Not a vast amount compared to the price of the car new, but no doubt something you'd rather avoid.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It's an AM6 gearbox, basically the same Japanese gearbox used in many other makes and models and known as the TF80SC. Not Siemens (AL4) or ZF this time. The car is 10 years old and they can almost legally stop selling parts for it, so in a sense, sealed for life has done the job and probaly exceeded the expected life of many of the cars built with it. Not that it assists here. You can change the fluid (drain is only a part of the total capacity) and there are substitute fluids to suit it. There is a procedure to fill it correctly (the overflowing weir like the AL4) and you'd try a couple of changes before doing more, but the reality is it is likely to come down to a sticky electrovalve or worn bore in the valve block. A new valve block is the best solution if you need to do it, although it will cost a couple of thousand. Not a vast amount compared to the price of the car new, but no doubt something you'd rather avoid.
    Unfortunately even though it was a top end expensive vehicle to purchase its value quickly dropped and today it is probably only worth less than $12000 so $2000 to fix it is a big decision. If Peugeot were fair dinkum they should at least supply the parts at a reasonable price, but their care factor is nil.
    I feel like taking it to a Peugeot dealer and trading it in and let them fix it when it dies. Trouble with that is I will end up with another new Peugeot and get another set of problems. I have been a Peugeot guy for 40 years but enough is enough, no more new ones.
    I will take previous advice on this thread and get my local auto transmission guy to service it and hopefully put the right amount and grade of fluid in it which the dealer obviously did not do.

UFO

Penrite or Nulon Fully Synthetic transmission fluid is fine to use in the AM6 'box.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Besides PSA cars and some expensive Europeans and Cadillacs, the transmission is used in some Mazdas and Fords, so you shouldn't have trouble finding a workshop who has seen one. The maker's fluid is also found at Toyota dealers as Type IV.

Tadpole

Gearboxes R Us in the UK has brand new factory valve bodies for about $700 and they get to you in a couple of days. Dealer quoted $2300 plus labour.

Tadpole

Don't have the transmission fluid topped up or "changed" have it flushed. Mine took 17 litres to flush but it was worth it.

Thread Information