What to upgrade/replace during 205 mi16 conversion?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By moeozz

Thread: What to upgrade/replace during 205 mi16 conversion?

Default What to upgrade/replace during 205 mi16 conversion?

Hi All,

It looks like I've found my mi16 engine! I figured I may aswell upgrade/replace other parts since the car will be off-road for a while.

The car is a S1 205 Gti.
    • Engine Mounts..If they ain't broke do you fix it?
    • The Brakes are worn and need a change.. what's a good upgrade? Find a set from a 206?
    • It's hard to explain, but it feels like the front wheels are about to roll off on sharp turns. Could this be worn Driveshafts or some kind of bearing issue? Where could I find replacement shafts?
    • Mi16 Timing belt kit, $230 from EAI. Is this ok or should I look to purchase elsewhere?
    • Anyone have a Quaife LSD for BE1? I don't plan on hitting the tracks but is it worth the upgrade?
    • Is there anything else I should be looking at doing? Just pretend this is your car for a moment with no budget

As you could tell I'm punching way above my head with all this but I'm keen to have a go. I'd really like to get this done right first time. Thanks!

Advertisement
    current S1 205 GTI + S3 306 GTI6
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Engine mounts: fine
    Brakes: 206 is a great conversion even if its only the fronts and 205 drum rears. Master cylinder upgrade a must.
    Quaife is worth it.

Replace strut top bushes and check the wheel bearings with the driveshafts removed. Check LCA bushes.
    Worn back end will make the car handle odd and twitch too.

i bought my timing belt kit from UK $140. Cant go wrong - not sure what brand the EAI is. If genuine, better i think.

Gates
    GATES TIMING CAM BELT CAMBELT K015206 FOR PEUGEOT 309 405 | eBay

Check all connectors - mainly FI, Coolant sensors, Oxy sensors

If your handy with a crimper and soldering iron, i would replace these with new ones which have a better clip (much easier to take off)

you can even find the different coloured ones for CTS and Oxy

Assuming the bottom rear engine mount & bearing is the same as mi16, and is out of car - check thoroughly for cracks, or replace with one of those two piece poly bushes which i have heard are good (do some research tho) and easier to replace again in-situ. Also i would replace centre bearing.
    89 Pug 405 Mi16
    Currently being resurrected after years off the road

WRECKING/ Parts Car:
    Blue 89 405 Mi16

Water pump and remove heater bypass circuit. Use the aluminium water distribution block from the 205 (if it has one).

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Gates is the best, the genuine belt I have is made by Dayco.

Quote Originally Posted by hazemi16 View Post
    i bought my timing belt kit from UK $140. Cant go wrong - not sure what brand the EAI is. If genuine, better i think.

Gates
    GATES TIMING CAM BELT CAMBELT K015206 FOR PEUGEOT 309 405 | eBay

Check all connectors - mainly FI, Coolant sensors, Oxy sensors

If your handy with a crimper and soldering iron, i would replace these with new ones which have a better clip (much easier to take off)

you can even find the different coloured ones for CTS and Oxy

Assuming the bottom rear engine mount & bearing is the same as mi16, and is out of car - check thoroughly for cracks, or replace with one of those two piece poly bushes which i have heard are good (do some research tho) and easier to replace again in-situ. Also i would replace centre bearing.

Thanks for the responses. I've purchased the Gates timing belt and now chasing the others, in particular the water pump, Quaife and some 206 brakes.
    My research tells me that my S1 GTI wont fit 206 brakes without replacing the Hub? I've searched the entire forum with conflicting results. Has anyone done this themselves?

PeterT... What's the reason to remove the heater bypass circuit?
    previous s2 306 GTI6

You'll need Si hubs if you want to fit late model brakes with small driveshafts.

The bypass circuit is only needed in 405's in cold countries, so the engine warms up faster. A 205 doesn't have a bypass circuit, so why fit one? It also eliminates two hoses that may otherwise fail.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I have a pair of 206 GTI 138 calipers and I think I have a pair of discs 266mm that have only done a around 5k if you are interested I'm in Melbourne

Hi All, Although I haven't received the mi16 engine yet, I've just been told its a XU9J4Z(DFW) and not the standard XU9J4 that most conversion guides are based off. Did AUS ever get the non-cat mi16 (Xu9J4)?

Anyhow, the mi16 ECU is the Motronic 1.3 (0261 200 161) which I believe includes the extra knock + lambda sensors. Am I right in saying that the lambda sensor sits on the exhaust (which doesn't exist on my S1 205)? Does this mean I'll need to weld it on or can it be bypassed somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo pug View Post
    I have a pair of 206 GTI 138 calipers and I think I have a pair of discs 266mm that have only done a around 5k if you are interested I'm in Melbourne
    PM sent.
    Last edited by moeozz; 22nd January 2017 at 02:50 AM.
    previous s2 306 GTI6

i doubt the o2 sensore can be bypassed easily. Much better to have exhaust modded to fit it. Much better fuel economy.

there were no australian delivered D6C mi16's. Only private imports.
    89 Pug 405 Mi16
    Currently being resurrected after years off the road

WRECKING/ Parts Car:
    Blue 89 405 Mi16

Quote Originally Posted by moeozz View Post
    .....Am I right in saying that the lambda sensor sits on the exhaust (which doesn't exist on my S1 205)? Does this mean I'll need to weld it on....
    S1 dfz engine should have the sensor but I'm not sure if it's the same sensor or fitting as the one you need for your new system. It's also fitted quite close to the front of the first exhaust section, someone here will be able to clarify if that exhaust section requires modification regardless to mate up to your proposed engine.

VIP Sponsor

Yes, has the same O2 sensor. All unleaded engines have a sensor.

Thanks all, that's a major relief.
    CEyssens, PeterT's is fabricating the exhaust wedge plate for me.
    CEyssens likes this.
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Hi All, I've just taken delivery of my mi16 engine and the first obvious thing I noticed was this blank.
    looking through google images I see there's meant to be some kind of pulley. Can someone please advise what it is and its purpose?
    thanks
    What to upgrade/replace during 205 mi16 conversion?-image.jpg
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Power steering pulley and pump is missing.

Ohh thanks.
    I'll disregard this since the S1 doesn't have power steering anyway. I'm struggling to get my head around the engine conversion as it is let alone worry about the steering haha.
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Thread Information