407 Coupe - transmission idosyncracies, or a fault???
  • Help

Default 407 Coupe - transmission idosyncracies, or a fault???

2007 407 HDI Coupe 2.7TT

- on the 43degC day we had on Wed ( thermometer on the car actually said 49degC ) there were a few times the transmission sort of surged - almost like it was slipping into neutral between shifts, revs rising suddenly, changes taking a second or so. 2-3 shift seemed the worst
    -- Coolant temp stable 90degC.
    -- Oil tem was higher than normal, but only by a bit ( normal has been just over the middle mark, so 115-118degC, so it was almost to the next mark up so maybe around 123 a 125degC - stupid markings on the gauge: 6 increments between 90 and 140 - 8.33degC steps, even the Italieans arent that weird.
    -- No fault codes or errors.
    -- First noticed after slowing to urban speeds after a freeway run at a stable 100kmh foe about 40 minutes. Became more obvious after Low speed stop start driving, but stayed evident even after getting some airflow back. Gone the next morning.

I havent been able to replicate the fault, so Im guessing its temperature related. I'm going to get them to change the ATF at the next service ( sealed for life - what a load of shit ), and maybe fit an auxilliary transmission cooler.

Advertisement

Has anyone else experienced similar?

Any othe alternate ideas?

Have had the same sort of problems a long time ago (not a Peugeot!) and yes it was on a hot day.

Change of oil is a good idea - no such thing as sealed for life!
    I had the oil in both my auto 307s changed a while ago and the improvement was easily noticeable.

Be careful about fitting an oil cooler - you might just end up with the oil too cold.
    Can you control the flow through a cooler with some sort of thermostat.

cheers
    Roland
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Not sure what that car has in it but this statement is good; "I 'm going to get them to change the ATF at the next service ( sealed for life - what a load of shit )."

My suggestion is get the oil changed, probably one of the newer fully synthetic multi application reasonably priced fluids will be good. Then do it again in a couple of thousand Kms to get a more complete change as only half the fluid comes out in a change. The new fluid will replenish the additives in the transmission oil as well as draining out the crap built up in there. Win Win Win. Then change every 20000 or so. Cheap insurance !

I think that transmission is commonly fitted to lots of other vehicles so any transmission shop should know how to do it correctly. Not in favour of a seperate oil cooler as it would already have a water/oil unit flow controlled by the computer. An aftermarket one may do very little if not installed correctly.
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Had the same problem in a 407 V6 sedan. The gearbox is "flaring" which means that it almost goes into neutral on the change. What is happening is that the "solenoid box" that controls the gearchanges is on its way out. I was told it starts to happen with the 6 speed box between 220,000 and 260,000 kms but can be later depending on what the vehicle has been used for. The dealer I spoke to had repaired 4 diesels but had not yet done a petrol engined 407, mine was the first petrol engined 407 he had heard that did it. It had done just over 250,000kms and the gearbox went into neutral in the middle of Sydney traffic, after I had driven from Bungendore, on an over 35 degree day.

The trick to getting it back to working so that you can drive home is to wait and let everything cool down, put the lever into neutral, start the car, push the "snow" button, engage first manually with the gear lever and slowly move off changing up with the lever. Once it is rolling disengage the "snow" button and put the lever back into drive and drive off.

It may not stop again for a long time but at any time it might "flare" again and start to "thump" into gear as it changes. If it is also slow in taking up to move off use the "snow" button and manual changes to let the oil circulate so the solenoids take up again and you will be right again for a while.

With my sedan I gave it to my daughter-in-law who just drives around town and she has put another 15,000kms or so on in the 12 months she has been driving it. It still "flares" and "thumps" occassionally but she is not driving to Sydney or Brisbane or Victoria like I was so it might last a few more k's before we throw the car away. Why throw it away? At $2,300+ to replace the "solenoid box" that is more than the car is worth so will just buy another (I did a 407 wagon with only 100,000kms on it and it does everything a 407 V6 should).

Good luck with it.
    FLASH

hmmmmmm.........hope its not the solenoid box. Only 110,000km. It doesn't seen to 'thump' or 'clunk' into chances - either on the hot day or at any other time.

So, Ill do the ATF first and see what happens.

The trick with aftermarket aux coolers is that you put them between the trans and the radiator (I am assuming here that OEM - the trans fluid uses a section of the radiator to cool the fluid). That way, if its cooled 'tooooo' much, the pass through the radiator will re-warm to an operational temp.

Not going to rush into it though. More research required.

Bugger.......did it again today, and its not hot.

So, off to EuroCare we go.

Quote Originally Posted by jackdaniel View Post
    Bugger.......did it again today, and its not hot.

So, off to EuroCare we go.
    Usually closed until mid January, then usually booked out weeks after that in advance!

Get the correct fluid and do a change - that should improve things!

Cheers
    Roland
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jackdaniel View Post
    hmmmmmm.........hope its not the solenoid box. Only 110,000km. It doesn't seen to 'thump' or 'clunk' into chances - either on the hot day or at any other time.
    So, Ill do the ATF first and see what happens.
    The trick with aftermarket aux coolers is that you put them between the trans and the radiator (I am assuming here that OEM - the trans fluid uses a section of the radiator to cool the fluid). That way, if its cooled 'tooooo' much, the pass through the radiator will re-warm to an operational temp.
    Not going to rush into it though. More research required.
    Hi jachdaniel
    Sorry not correct. It will have a water to oil cooler on the transmission somewhere most likely.

Just change the fluid. No dip stick either I would think Sooo----- research the transmission type and the method used and the CORRECT plugs to take out for the drain and replacement. There is plenty of discussion on the correct way to do an AL4 which will be similar.

Or just do the drain into a container, measure amount, refill with same amount. Works OK if there are no leaks visable. Use a new style multi fluid full synthetic. Penrite or Nulon are good.
    Jaahn

Thread Information