Oils Aint Oils
  • Help

Thread: Oils Aint Oils

Default Oils Aint Oils

Oils Aint Oils-img_1978.jpgOils Aint Oils-img_1979.jpg
    Oils Aint Oils-img_1977.jpg

This is probably not applicable to anyone but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.

I spray painted the secondary areas (underside, tray, engine bay) of the 404 at home using acrylic lacquer.

Because it is fairly soft paint, I went over it by brushing with self levelling epoxy clear to get a tough service.

After lubricating my bonnet hinges with an oil can, I was horrified to see that the oil permanently stained the surface.

Advertisement

Being a frugal soul, I remembered I filled the oil can with some oil I had left over from when I was riding my highly anti-social Honda NSR's ( howling, smoking two strokes with "jingle-jangle" dry clutches. I used to put it into the oil reservoir to be mixed with petrol.

On looking at the label, it's castor oil based- it made for nice smelling clouds of smoke idling at the lights.

It was def. the culprit as I put normal oil on the surface & there was no effect on the paint.
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor (Pending Resto Project)

Castor oil, a first cousin of ricinoleic acid is quite chemically reactive.

I'd theorize the ricinoleic acid has wicked under the self levelling epoxy, which presumably is some kind of 2k brew.

Because, if it isn't 2k based all bets are off for chemical resistance. Especially if it's a enamel + hardener product.

Thread Information