couple of handy ideas
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: couple of handy ideas

Default couple of handy ideas

Not sure if this fits in here, but I picked up a couple of useful ideas off another forum or two and thought I'd share. I've tried them both and they work:

1. Brake Bleed assistance/Sticky pistons - I have had some trouble with a soft pedal on my R8 ever since I changed the master cylinder (to I suspect too small a size). After sitting for a while (like most of the old renaults) the pistons stick and you end up with less effective brakes. The solution I picked up off a mini forum (ausmini) is to buy a set of the clamps as per the top one in the attached picture. Take one of the pair (Bunnings for <$20 depending on size) - I got the smaller size (600mm I think), and knock the roll pin out so you can reverse the gun end on the ratchet shaft. Likewise, undo the screw and nut on the opposite end and reverse that too. Now pump the brake pedal to get a firmer pedal and use the clamp to hold the brake pedal in position with pressure, against the seat frame (or some other suitable point that enables it to clamp into position). Leave it for at least 24 hrs if you can. On my old renaults, the brake reservoir lid is vented but it yours is not, it may be best to loosen it. The theory is I believe that the constant pressure of the piston on the seals can help move sticky pistons; and it is speculated that perhaps air bubbles are returned to the reservoir as the "least path of resistance". It is not a permanent fix for other issues you may have in your braking system but it does seem to work.

Advertisement

2. Fuel transfer system - Often you may have fuel in one container that you want to transfer to another but would prefer to filter at the same time. Solution - make yourself up one of these. I bought a cheap plastic case from reject shop (<$20) and a couple of $5-6 super cheap filters. The rest I had at home in the garage. An hour or so of tinkering and voila. Not super quick of course, but I filled a 10L mower fuel container in 5mins or so. I got this one off some american redneck site - I have no idea which one or how I got there, probably a link off here! but again it works and apart from the new parts purchased it was basically assembled from bits in the garage - the old pump and filter off the R10, a few clamps and some fuel line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails couple of handy ideas-dscn2887.jpg   couple of handy ideas-dscn2886.jpg  
    KB

COL

Also using Kevin's #1 hint you can also check your brake lights are working without the help of an assistant.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

The fuel transfer system works much faster with a fuel injection pump, prefer a BMW Bosch.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Good suggestion Ray, but I used what I had on hand.
    Would trying to run at the higher pressures they run at cause any issues though?
    KB

Kevin,

would you have more time to spend at Bunnings?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

I would but I'm banned. When Miley Cyrus licks a hammer naked, it's Art. But when I do it, it's public indecency and I get banned from Bunnings!
    Go figure.
    KB

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Just a hammer?
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

KB the fuel injection pump only has pressure when you restrict its flow and push it through an injector. It is just a rotary flow pump, with an impeller inside.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for those. I doubt the soft pedal is anything to do with MC diameter - it will only affect free play per unit piston movement. But I do share the "pedal not as hard as I'd like" matter. I suspect we just don't quite get all the air out when bleeding and back when the cars were current, Renault mechanics in Adelaide always said "difficult to get a good "pedal" on these". I'm going to have another go at mine after Christmas. I'd really like a definitive article on R8/10 brake bleeding to be posted up here! I know how firm and high the pedal can be, but I've certainly never achieved it.

Re sticky pistons, I have two words: silicone fluid. And gratuitous advice of course, in the form of two more words: drive often.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

Citroën CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I had a soft pedal on my 505 and it turned out to be the front brake hoses ballooning internally.
    If your brake hoses are old its a good idea to replace them anyway.

Sometimes its the newfangled brake pad material they use.

Thread Information