One Coolant - Nulon
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: One Coolant - Nulon

Default One Coolant - Nulon

Is anyone using this product instead of CitroŽn coolant (now supplied blue not straw which I had but now mostly water). Nulon say to do a full coolant flush with their product pour the full 5 litres of One Coolant and top up with de- mineralized water. I need to do a full refill anyway but CitroŽn coolant is $40 a bottle and I think it's premixed so will need 2 bottles.
    Nulon is on special and comes with a bottle of flush.

Advertisement

Your thoughts or experiences

Dimi

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/Co...ms/One_Coolant

Sent from my GT-I9195T using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

Citroen dealers supply repackaged BASF Glysantin G33, otherwise not sold here. This https://www.nulon.com.au/specs/8/76/Glysantin_G33 claims equality.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I have been using Nulon in my fleet of exotic imported vehicles for some years now. No problems !
    As you said, drain, flush with clean water and then fill with 4l concentrate and top up with clean water.
    Jaahn

Thanks John 4L only and save a litre sounds like a plan. Right Saturday now sorted.

1000+ Posts

Even in Germany G33 is dear. I noticed it advertised online in 20L containers at approx $9 per litre.

Must be the manufacturing process. Nulon $60 for 5 litres

1000+ Posts

As you are in sunny hot QLD could you not use Penrite red racing coolant....$20 for 1 litre concentrate which will do the whole car. This stuff has no cold inhibitor in it so only good for hot climates. Due to the lack of glycol in it she wont ruin the internals over time.
    Just a thought.
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Went With Nulon one. She'll be right😆

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jr20516v View Post
    As you are in sunny hot QLD could you not use Penrite red racing coolant....$20 for 1 litre concentrate which will do the whole car. This stuff has no cold inhibitor in it so only good for hot climates. Due to the lack of glycol in it she wont ruin the internals over time.
    Just a thought.
    Hi
    Not a good idea IMHO. If it has no glycol then it has no increased boiling point either as well as no anti freeze properties. The lack of the increased boiling point from the glycol will probably mean some risk of boiling in modern engines in adverse conditions.
    Most modern engines run close to 100degrees with the thermostat settings so any reduction of the extra headroom of the glycol plus the radiator cap setting can get you into trouble. Do not go there for a road car. Run the correct coolant concentration.
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

You are completely wrong there Jaahn. It is used on race cars for the very reason that it can withstand MUCH higher temps than your average soup....it is also used at the track because of the lack of glycol which is illegal on most tracks.
    Most pugs that i know run 82 or 89 degrees thermostats. I have been using this product for donkey's years with no ill effects.
    Originally recommended to me by a PUG service guy that has been into Pugs for over 40 yrs. Glycol kills engines over long periods.

Some more reading for you.........10 Tenths Race Coolant Inhibitor Concentrate Inhibitor is formulated for all water cooled engines, especially where high engine operating temperatures are experienced. It provides superior heat transfer abilities to lower engine running temperatures compared to glycol based engine coolants.

10 Tenths Race Coolant Inhibitor Concentrate can be used as a conventional on road coolant inhibitor in everyday vehicles and in competition and race vehicles where glycol based products are banned. It has an extremely effective wetting agent that reduces cavitation and heat spot areas inside the engine, allowing for lower running temperatures and preventing engine damage from overheating.

10 Tenths Race Coolant Inhibitor Concentrate uses a HYBRID inhibitor system that provides complete engine coolant protection against all types of corrosion, cavitation, scaling and lime deposit for 3 to 5 years or 150,000 km* if used at the correct dosage. It is compatible with all types of metal including magnesium, aluminium, brass, bronze & copper as well as all plastics and rubber hoses.
    jr20516v

Now:

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

1000+ Posts

Default Hmm ??

You are completely wrong there Jaahn. It is used on race cars for the very reason that it can withstand MUCH higher temps than your average soup....it is also used at the track because of the lack of glycol which is illegal on most tracks.
    Most pugs that i know run 82 or 89 degrees thermostats. I have been using this product for donkey's years with no ill effects.
    Originally recommended to me by a PUG service guy that has been into Pugs for over 40 yrs. Glycol kills engines over long periods.

Some more reading for you.........10 Tenths Race Coolant Inhibitor Concentrate Inhibitor ------------
    ---It is compatible with all types of metal including magnesium, aluminium, brass, bronze & copper as well as all plastics and rubber hoses.
    Hi
    Actually I have read all that information. It does not negate what I said. The fact it is good for racing is not a recomendation for road use by ordinary people in average cars. I stand by that and will point out a few things relevant IMHO.

The glycol raises the boiling point by some 7 degrees at 50/50 mix. That may be critical for some transient conditions on the road normally. There are no newer cars with 82 deg thermostats.AFAIK. Some are 98-100 deg. The coolant may stand MUCH higher temperatures but can the motor hoses and fittings.

The superior heat transfer abilities are mainly due to the lack of glycol which is much worse than water for heat capacity.

I am aware of the requirement for being glycol free for racing but that is just to avoid a failure and dumping of the slippery stuff on the track and creating an instant hazard. No discussion there.

Glycol is an accepted chemical for coolant use and there is not much down side to using it and to say it kills engines is just a puzzle to me It certainly kills people !
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

"can be used as a conventional on road coolant inhibitor in everyday vehicles "
    We beg to differ it seems. :}
    PS: the last time i had a motor opened the first thing that was said by the workshop was " this is like a new motor inside, no buildup at all, what is your secret"
    So.... i will stay with my modern 21 st century stuff :}
    jr20516v

Now:

1000+ Posts

I don't know what's best for road cars that unlike racing cars go long distances and periods between rebuilding, but the racing brew uses a very large proportion of 2-ethylhexanoic acid (Organic acid technology) which has been the subject of controversy in the US. It appears to have problems with silicone rubbers.

1000+ Posts

"can be used as a conventional on road coolant inhibitor in everyday vehicles "
    We beg to differ it seems. :}
    PS: the last time i had a motor opened the first thing that was said by the workshop was " this is like a new motor inside, no buildup at all, what is your secret"
    So.... i will stay with my modern 21 st century stuff :}
    Hi
    I think the difference of opinion here is to do with this part of the statement " coolant inhibitor". I am not disputing that part of it but the fact it is not a coolant as normally used, which has a high glycol percentage to act as anti freeze and anti boil. The corrosion package is in addition to this glycol.

We all know that a good anti corrosion package is essential to modern engines with a mix of metals and lots of thin formed aluminium. A disaster waiting to happen if you use plain water.
    Jaahn

I run straight Nulon, even in my Patrol which I take to the snow. The chance of the block freezing overnight is so remote. Have you ever heard of it happening in the car park at Thredbo or Perisher? Maybe if you left it at the top for a week.
    Last edited by PeterT; 3rd November 2016 at 09:17 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Yes, but the radiator and hoses freeze, meaning when the water in the block heats and needs to flow to the radiator for cooling, it can't. The engine overheats and bang.
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

Thread Information