Water in diesel fuel filter
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Water in diesel fuel filter

Tadpole

Default Water in diesel fuel filter

Hi, this warning comes on friqently. I drained fuel filter, instaled new filter but warning still comes on!
    it is a peugeot 406 hdi sw 2002.
    what can i do to solve this problem.

Advertisement

Cheers
    peter

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by veels View Post
    Hi, this warning comes on friqently. I drained fuel filter, instaled new filter but warning still comes on!

Cheers
    peter
    Water gets into your tank in only two ways. It can arrive with the fuel delivered into your tank, or, if you don't keep your tank full, the moisture in the empty space in your tank can under certain circumstances condense. The most common way is via option #1. Service stations that are built in areas with a high water table need to keep water in their underground tanks as ballast to stop them "floating" up out of the ground when they are almost empty. Some servos are notorious for the amount of water they deliver with your fuel. I'd be looking at keeping my tank full, from a service station other than the one/s you are currently using. If the problem persists, fit a larger water trap between the tank and before the standard one in the car and empty it regularly.

Check out CHEMTECH diesel fuel additive

Quote Originally Posted by veels View Post

Cheers
    peter
    Had similar with a 2002 C5 HDi - I collected fuel from the filter weekly over an extended period and never found any evidence of water, fitted a new sensor and the error message disappeared.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

Easy to tell if it's a false alarm - just open the filter drain and collect some in a glass jar. Repeated water in the fuel tells me to use a different service station.

Driven's post refers to the possibility of algal growth, which fouls up the fuel and injection system with a nasty black gunk that is hard to remove. The bug needs water to grow. There are many more concentrated and cheaper biocides though. Visit a place that serves the transport industry, and dose your tank with biocide as a precaution. "Fuel conditioning" is mostly blarney.

1000+ Posts

That used to happen periodically with my 405 diesel ,as mentioned drain filter housing into a glass bottle the water will settle to the bottom if theres any in there ,replacing the sender may be the go ,pugs

1000+ Posts

water can also get in around filler cap if you wash often / careless water jet at cap. My 205 does this after washing ti. Do not assume they seal. Faulty sensor most likely as said, check fuel if no water change sensor, if water change servo.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Had similar with a 2002 C5 HDi - I collected fuel from the filter weekly over an extended period and never found any evidence of water, fitted a new sensor and the error message disappeared.

Cheers
    Chris
    I didn't even get to replace the sensor on my '99 406 HDi.

After collecting fuel samples, and finding no evidence of water, I cleaned the terminals on the sensor, and hey presto, no more error message.

Andrew

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale

Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeot 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI;
    1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet (better car than the 2002 model we replaced it with)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Easy to tell if it's a false alarm - just open the filter drain and collect some in a glass jar. Repeated water in the fuel tells me to use a different service station.

Driven's post refers to the possibility of algal growth, which fouls up the fuel and injection system with a nasty black gunk that is hard to remove. The bug needs water to grow. There are many more concentrated and cheaper biocides though. Visit a place that serves the transport industry, and dose your tank with biocide as a precaution. "Fuel conditioning" is mostly blarney.
    Is that the stuff that some heavy trucks carry in a small tank called Big Blue or similar?
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Boulton View Post
    Is that the stuff that some heavy trucks carry in a small tank called Big Blue or similar?
    No, that is probably Adblue, or Urea, which is used to reduce emissions. Fuel conditioners are simply added to the fuel in the tank.

Does anyone have the part number for the WATER SENSOR on the Citroen C5 HDi 2003 2 LITER sedan? This is the sensor that is fitted on the side of the filter housing. Also is the white wheel on the bottom of the filter a drain plug? tx

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes2118 View Post
    Does anyone have the part number for the WATER SENSOR on the Citroen C5 HDi 2003 2 LITER sedan? This is the sensor that is fitted on the side of the filter housing. Also is the white wheel on the bottom of the filter a drain plug? tx
    Part number for the water in diesel sensor for your car will be 1913 16
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/BRAND-NEW-GE...-/122547078165

The white knurled flange screw is a drain yes, be careful with it as it will have become brittle with age. If you need to replace, it's part number is 6925 45

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information