Mi16 whooshing noise
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mi16 whooshing noise

Hi everyone,
    My car (S1 Mi) has developed a strange noise during acceleration which increases in tempo with speed. It sort of sound like...'whoosh, whoosh, whoosh whoosh' (this is the best word I could think of to describe it)...but only whilst driving, not when stationary (in neutral with engine revving). It sounds like exhaust to me, I thought it could be the cat on its way out??? There doesn't appear to be anything loose that could be causing the noise. Also, the exhaust has just developed a bit of a leak which may/may not be related. Anyone had something similar? Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Advertisement

hmmm... not much of a description really.. i just had my exhaust replaced cos of a stuffed cat - when it was stuffed it sounded like an exhaust leak (at idle, stationary and whilst driving - always sounded pretty crap!) and i was also loosing a bit of power.

Does the sound change with engine revs or with car speed?? does it matter what gear youre in?? can you tell us more?
    1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver
    there are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots..

Like a wering noise (dot sure how to spell that (were - ing) - that's the best I can do. It seems more noticeable in the lower gears and increases in speed as the revs rise. That is why i thought exhaust - as flow increases so too does the rate of repetition of the noise. There is no loss of power though. It really doesn't sound like anything to do with moving mechanical parts - at least I hope not! I'll take it to the workshop to get sussed - just thought someone may have had something similar.
    Another thought...I wonder if it could be related to a loose power steering belt (i've noticed it slips during tight dry steering)??
    Mi16 weapon - just out of interest, did you replace your cat with another original part or something aftermarket? what costs were involved with the cat? I've only had mine for about month and haven't investigated prices of individual parts yet.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan
    Last edited by JAG80; 14th April 2004 at 03:15 PM.

i had a commondore 6 cat put on it (around $450 worht) and had 2.25 inch pipe put in from the cat back, with a small resonator and then a fairly large straight-through back box at the end and then a 2.5 inch tip.

sounds yummy!

final cost was lots!

my power steering belt also makes noise, but only when actually steering and generally only at low speed or stopped.

sorry i cant help more, but let us know what your mechanic reckons..
    1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver
    there are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots..

That does sound good - even from here! I may have to invest in something like that - get the throaty sound. I'll keep you posted.

Thread Information