bought a fuego, need some quick pricing
  • Register
  • Help

Default bought a fuego, need some quick pricing

Just a quick question guys.

I just bought a fuego for 600 bucks, i can hear a wheel bearing noise that's fine, the clutch is really heavy but i think is almost brand new, (grabs quickly and well) clutch cable? The engine is great, main problem is at high speed or at least at 50kmh steering becomes really light and sloppy, it moves about 10degrees each way before actually turning the wheels, or changing direction. This is my prime concern.

Advertisement

Can anyone tell me what problem i'm looking at and how much?

Thanks guys
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

Administrator

Power steering or manual?

Administrator

The clutch problem is probably the linkage on top of the bell housing. These get quite dry.

Try, backing off the adjustment (at the fire wall) and putting some grease behind the little pushrod pivot. Spray the crap out of everything else with a liquid lubricant.

They are a reasonably heavy clutch, but not unusually so.

Regards,
    Richard V

The floppy steering can be caused by the universal joint in the steering column being worn out. There wil also be excessive free play of the steering wheel when the car isn't moving.

If its manaul steering, check the rubber disc at the rack on the steering column. If its stuffed, replace it with a Puegeot flector (it is a better design with fail safe metal cross links cast into the rubber which the Reno one doesnt have and it comes with new bolts - see Carrevelle of course for all your parts needs)
    Check the inner tie rod end, hidden inside the rack boots, and the castor bushes (ie top forward inner suspension bushs)

Clutchs are heavy, but as Mistareno said not unusually. Cables do fail internally, losing the plastic inner sleeve and getting stiff whilst looking fine externally. Cheap to replace and can make a huge differance.

Do you know its timing belt history? - if in doubt, change it.

Dont bother buying new front wheel bearings - If you pull it out now and clean it/repack it with grease, it may well be OK. But if not, s/h ones from pickapart for $8 are usually fine once cleaned/regreased. They are a very strong bearing that generally last forever and cost a lot to replace new
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Mark!

How could you? At least it's French... Now u have 2 change your name coz ure not a 2-oh-philic anymore your a Fuegophile!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Mark!

How could you? At least it's French... Now u have 2 change your name coz ure not a 2-oh-philic anymore your a Fuegophile!
    Good to see he's finally seen the (very cheap) light....

Power Steering!?!? I didn't think they had it! I didn't even check. Steering feels pretty heavy at low speeds. The other thing i forgot to mention is that the locks don't work! I think you can lock the car from the outside but you can't unlock from the outside, and the little button inside only serves to lock as well. The plipper thing is missing.

What a funny little car, it feels a bit wrong in the front end when taking on roundabouts, any thoughts on this? Still has metric rims and tyres, maybe compound sucks.
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

Caro... u payed 6 hundred buck for it what did u want?

And don't compare it 2 your 205 around corners.

not even the same league

no offence mr reno
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by two-oh-philic
    not even the same league
    I know. The Fuego handles better (atleast it should if all is right)

Anything series 2 should have power steering.

Define "a little bit weird"....this is very vague.....

If it is still running TRX tyres, they are probably so age hardened it aint funny.

TRX's were a hard compound, dog of a tyre in the first place so they will only get worse when they get weather hardened.

If this has happened, take it VERY easy in the wet. And I do mean VERY easy.

Please try and elaborate as to what the weird feeling is.

If your car has undiagnosed excessive steering freeplay, and you haven't found out what the problem is, I wouldn't suggest you even DRIVE the car, never mind cornering hard through roundabouts.

A Fuego should have pin sharp steering with NO freeplay at all. I have a power steering model, and I would describe the way it negotiates roundabouts as "freaky" not weird.

P.S - Drive a REAL Fuego before you pass judgement.

How would you expect a $600 205GTi to drive?......
    Answer, it probably wouldn't

Seeya,

mistareno

P.S - I am hoping to do the Calder Park Sprints in May.

So if you really think your car is in a different league perhaps you should show me what all the fuss is about. Please don't judge Fuego's by all the shit box cars that have been driven to within an inch of their lives on a shoestring budget. They are a better car than you think. IF they are how they should be....just like any other car I suppose.

Most 250000K+ Fuegos I have looked at at wreckers still have the original Renault Shocks and bushes. They are durable, but not that durable...

well i can't find my post about the car feeling wierd. although that is how i would describe it,All i can say is the car at high speed has a lot of free play in the steering, i didn't notice it at low speed although i'm pretty sure it wasn't there, pretty sure it wasn't power steering, don't be offended mr reno, i'm not judging your car by mine. Anyway, i think the tyres are pretty new, i don't mean in terms of wear but age. the color is still quite black.

Not to worry, my mechanic will check it out today and i'll post tonight the verdict. Catch ya later guys.

Marc

P.S. someone show me where i said wierd, i must be going blind!
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

re. the central locking - you will find a little button on the under dash trim panel next to your left knee. This is the reset button (for the inertia switch which unlocks the doors in an accident. Some are sensitive and you can unlock the car by giving the car a solid kick ) and will most likely be the cause. The locking electrics are tough and relaible (they use solenoids, not motors and gears, and make a good solid clunk)
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Richard - such an essay!

Marcy - stop pretending not 2 be blind. Stevie Wonder can see more than you brow

1000+ Posts

two-oh-philic

Glad to see that you have joined our ranks and hope that the Fuego
    will grow on you If you have nothing better to do from 10am on this Sunday the 18th bring it along (as well as!!) to Macleay Park North Balwyn (French Car Festival AKA the all french car day) (Get the fleet owners discount!!) Melways Map 46 C5.

Good opportunity to meet other froggy owners and I dare say there will be some
    Fuegos there to compare notes etc.

See Yah There.

Ken

Thread Information