205 Rack rattle
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 Rack rattle

VIP Sponsor

Default 205 Rack rattle

I have fiinally found the cause of my front end clunk, it seems to be the rack and pinion. I needed to grab hold of it via the engine bay before I could feel any play.
    It looks like a nasty job to remove and would probably start the P/S system leaking if disturbed, dry as a bone presently.
    Is there a replacable bush as in the 504? Probably hoping for too much I suppose.
    Any ideas as to how to repair without getting a change over rack?

Advertisement

Graham Wallis

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I have fiinally found the cause of my front end clunk, it seems to be the rack and pinion. I needed to grab hold of it via the engine bay before I could feel any play.
    It looks like a nasty job to remove and would probably start the P/S system leaking if disturbed, dry as a bone presently.
    Is there a replacable bush as in the 504? Probably hoping for too much I suppose.
    Any ideas as to how to repair without getting a change over rack?

Graham Wallis
    I have since discovered that the manual rack has a replaceable bush (thanks to Pugrambo's CDs) but can't find one listed in the power steering section. I guess I'll have to take the end off and have a look!

Graham Wallis

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I have since discovered that the manual rack has a replaceable bush (thanks to Pugrambo's CDs) but can't find one listed in the power steering section. I guess I'll have to take the end off and have a look!

Graham Wallis

I'm glad they are coming in handy for you Graham

i looked at the same thing last night and came up with the same result

surely someone here has pulled their 205 apart or are they not quite worn out enough yet ???
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thread Information