Identifying adjustment points on Fuego Carb
  • Register
  • Help

Default Identifying adjustment points on Fuego Carb

Hi all,
    There's a big brass springloaded screw on the side of the Fuego carb facing the engine. Can anyone tell me what it's for? Also, I can see that I can use a screw on the throttle wheel to set idle but is there any other adjustment I can make to the carb? My engine misses under throttle load and I'd like to know more, for instance, how to change mixture.
    Ta, Gurus

Advertisement

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz
    Hi all,
    There's a big brass springloaded screw on the side of the Fuego carb facing the engine. Can anyone tell me what it's for? Also, I can see that I can use a screw on the throttle wheel to set idle but is there any other adjustment I can make to the carb? My engine misses under throttle load and I'd like to know more, for instance, how to change mixture.
    Ta, Gurus
    Firstly,

A common mistake is setting the idle speed by adjusting the screw that actually actuates on the linkage.

THIS IS WRONG.

The correct way to set the idle speed/mixture is to turn the "big brass spring loaded screw" until the correct idle speed is reached (make sure the other screw is NOT touching the linkage.

Once it is idling at the correct speed, adjust the mixture screw.

The mixture screw is located at the right hand front of the carby (looking at it from the front). Its on the base of the carby and is almost horizontal. It is in a hole, not exposed like the earlier webber carbs.
    You will need a thin flat blade screw driver to adjust this easily.

Once you have located the mixture screw, adjust it until it idles the smoothest (you are supposed to check CO but, unless you have a CO tester in the shed this will suffice.

Once you have got it idleing smoothly, you will probably have to re adjust the idle speed (again, by turning the "big brass spring laoded screw")

Once this is set do the mixture again. If your car is badly adjusted, you may have to go back and forth like this a few times.

Once it is idling at the correct speed and mixture, I usually adjust the linage screw so that it is just touching the linkage (not enough to increase idle speed)

If your car has a flat spot in the transition between the idle circuit and the primary circuit, try the following.

Undo the allen key lock screw and unscrew the solenoid valve on the RHS of the carby and give it a clean out. This will usually fix the problem (if the solenoid is working)

Put it back on and make sure the thing still idles properly (you should clean the solenoid valve before setting the idle if your car flat spots)

Once this is all done, you should get about 500 - 550 k a tank (depending on your driving style of course )

Regards,
    Mistareno
    Last edited by mistareno; 25th May 2004 at 04:36 PM.

Thread Information