Flat Panel vs Pod on Mi16
  • Register
  • Help

Default Flat Panel vs Pod on Mi16

I know this has been posted many times before....

When I bought my 405 mi16, it was fitted with a k&n pod directly on the afm. Not properly sealed off from engine heat...
    I was curious & tracked down a stock airbox from a dude off here a few months ago, I withheld installing it at first because I still didn't have the pipe that runs from the grill to the box itself...

Well on the weekend I was a little curious & thought I'd give it a go without the pipe...

The box came with a dirty paper filter, I left it in and installed the box.
    Took it for a good test drive & was a bit dissapointed... the car felt a bit better down low, but very noticeably less responsive. It took a bit longer to rev out too. I thought it may be because i had the dirty paper filter in there.. so today I bought a k&n flat panel. tested it again and still not convinced....

Is it because I don't have the pipe running from box to the grill? I still feel the pod performed better... more responsive, tad more top end blast, the car just feels faster with it...

I'm getting my car dynoed after I fit this reground cam I got off PeterT.
    I'll do a test with the pod & then with the airbox to be sure,
    but my instinct is screaming towards the pod.

Advertisement

Any comments? if you've experimented before please fill me in.

Jason

Default pod vs. panel.

hey dude,
    i havent actually done it with any euro cars bar a fella i know with a 205.with all cars being jap in all cases we didn't get any change no matter what the car.what you do get is a better sound from the pod sucking the air in!

i cant see a pod filter making any noticable difference with out the computer telling it too suck more air in!i will only allow the same amount of air in to the combussion camber reguradless.

this is why when you have a turbo it compresses it then goes in and you can veiry the amount that goes in from the boost controler(if they had one).all natrally aspird engines will get vacum pressure at most.these are my thoughts through my experiences anyways

jordan

Quote Originally Posted by mi205
    hey dude,
    i havent actually done it with any euro cars bar a fella i know with a 205.with all cars being jap in all cases we didn't get any change no matter what the car.what you do get is a better sound from the pod sucking the air in!

i cant see a pod filter making any noticable difference with out the computer telling it too suck more air in!i will only allow the same amount of air in to the combussion camber reguradless.

this is why when you have a turbo it compresses it then goes in and you can veiry the amount that goes in from the boost controler(if they had one).all natrally aspird engines will get vacum pressure at most.these are my thoughts through my experiences anyways

jordan
    Yeah, I heard that Pods are better suited to Turbo's than NA.

But I still feel the car is more responsive with the Pod... no doubt.
    It probably doesn't increase power, but more faster response is as good as a power gain in my opinion..

a pod filter should allow better response on the throttle, its not that it lets MORE air in, its because it allows a free-er flow of air, and the engine doesnt have to work so hard to "suck" the air in. As to whether the gain or loss is noticeable, i think thats pretty subjective, depending on different cars set-ups etc.

I think if you feel youre not getting enough out of the standard box, it is because youre missing the breather that grabs cool air from through the grill, and you also dont have a smooth airflow going into the airbox.

basically, without that pipe you have actually gone backwards, because in effect, youve restricted the airflow and made it messier, AND youre still drawing hot air from under the bonnet.

The main reson i can see, to go back to the standard box, is so that you draw in cool air again..

try fitting some sort of big hose that will allow you to grab cold air, if not from the grille, then from down low (just dont drive through any puddles) and then see how it goes.

1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver
    there are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots..

Thats exactly what I was thinking.
    I've been searching for that pipe for ages now & can't find one anywhere....
    It's not easy to make a custom one, they're isn't alot of room in there.
    thanks for your help. I guess I'll keep searching for this pipe.

try a couple of airconditioning places for some flexi stuff, or even some pvc piping, just to see if it makes any difference. if it doesnt, just go back to the pod, atleast it sounds nicer!!

or could you even butcher the pipe that came with the pod filter??

whatever you do, dont use plastic piping for any extended period of time, i tried it with an old pulsar of mine, found the perfect dia piping to attach to the airbox and get some cold air to it.. forgot all about it and went for a drive up north.. for about a month afterwards the car stank of burning plastic once it got up to temp, plus there was this stiky guk all over the block and the head!!
    Last edited by mi16_weapon; 7th April 2004 at 05:25 PM.
    1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver
    there are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots..

Quote Originally Posted by mi16_weapon
    try a couple of airconditioning places for some flexi stuff, or even some pvc piping, just to see if it makes any difference. if it doesnt, just go back to the pod, atleast it sounds nicer!!

or could you even butcher the pipe that came with the pod filter??

whatever you do, dont use plastic piping for any extended period of time, i tried it with an old pulsar of mine, found the perfect dia piping to attach to the airbox and get some cold air to it.. forgot all about it and went for a drive up north.. for about a month afterwards the car stank of burning plastic once it got up to temp, plus there was this stiky guk all over the block and the head!!
    hehe, nice one. I'll make sure its good plastic.
    The pod was screwed directly to the air flow meter, it didn't come with any piping...

I'll try some air con places.. thanks buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jason20
    hehe, nice one. I'll make sure its good plastic.
    The pod was screwed directly to the air flow meter, it didn't come with any piping...

I'll try some air con places.. thanks buddy
    jason

Have you tried the wreckers?? The series one are all the same theres gotta be one around somewhere. Are they avaliable new from Peugeot?

Ky

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser
    jason

Have you tried the wreckers?? The series one are all the same theres gotta be one around somewhere. Are they avaliable new from Peugeot?

Ky
    Hey Ky, hows it going, is your car still going hard?

I've tried two euro wrecking yards.. no luck, i go there every few month and ask if anything has come in..
    haven't tried peugeot directly, too scared as they probably would wan't over $100 for one.

Jason

Hey Ky, hows it going, is your car still going hard?

I've tried two euro wrecking yards.. no luck, i go there every few month and ask if anything has come in..
    haven't tried peugeot directly, too scared as they probably would wan't over $100 for one.

Jason
    Jason

Try these numbers:

Peugeot Wrecking
    56 -58 Manilla St East Brisbane 4169
    (07) 3391 2529
    Peugeotcare
    6 Holden St Woolloongabba 4102
    (07) 3891 5504
    PEUGEOTECH
    341 Melton Rd Northgate Phone/Fax 4013
    (07) 3260 7500
    Peugeotspares
    16 Cootha St Everton Park 4053
    (07) 3353 4057

Peugeot Auto Recyclers
    29 Timms Rd Everton Hills QLD 4053
    ph: (07) 3353 4057 Auto Parts Recyclers

Reno Reck
    119 Gavenlock Rd Wyong NSW 2259
    ph: (02) 4353 1618 Auto Parts Recycler

Peugeo Wrecking
    8 Disney Ave Keilor East VIC 3033
    ph: (03) 9336 1602 Auto Parts Recyclers

Peugparts
    28 Diane St Mornington VIC 3931
    ph: 1800 037 016 Auto Parts Recyclers

Pugwreck, (03) 9720 7521

Europarts (03) 9583 3766

One of them has to have one kicking around

Ky

thanks Ky,

Jason

thanks Ky,

Jason
    No worries

I assumed that you had rang ASV and Parramatta Prestige so I didn't bother with their numbers. There is also BM Spares - Melbourne 03 9791 6822.

I'll post these numbers as a seperate thread as they are usefull and maybe Sean can make it a sticky??

Talk to you later

Ky

Ps there is another alternative, I swap you my filter and tube for your pod setup Can you take your filter back for a refund? I love the induction sound of the pods

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser
    No worries

I assumed that you had rang ASV and Parramatta Prestige so I didn't bother with their numbers. There is also BM Spares - Melbourne 03 9791 6822.

I'll post these numbers as a seperate thread as they are usefull and maybe Sean can make it a sticky??

Talk to you later

Ky

Ps there is another alternative, I swap you my filter and tube for your pod setup Can you take your filter back for a refund? I love the induction sound of the pods

Haha, yep asv and parra prestige. I can't complain about a shortage of spare parts now!

Pug_405_Mi16 has a pipe, I'll try & get it off him.
    Thanks for the offer, but the pod that I have isn't very good, its pretty small... & now that i've been driving with the airbox im starting to like it better than the pod, feels heaps better down low, and the car idles better. I wouldn't suggest getting a pod... I kinda like the sound of the k&n flat panel, it has a nice tune to it, the pod sounded really aggresive, very noisey.
    If you really want one, get a bigger one, & since your car has more power you'll need bigger for sure..
    The opening to the air flow meter is square, most are circular these days aren't they?

Jason

Thread Information