how would a 1.9 gti perform without powersteering?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Banned

Default how would a 1.9 gti perform without powersteering?

im just curious to know about how a 1.9 gti would perform without the powersteering. the car in question is a standard gti, not lowered, and the feel of the steering is too light. i prefer a more tight steering, and perhaps more of a driver and car as one feel. make any sense?
    i used to have a 89 crx lowered, with no power steering but the steering was superb. a very hands on feel. the crx being a light car, i thought it would be a good comparison with the gti.
    any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
    cem

Advertisement

I think it handles great w/out p/s. The feed back from the road is fantastic and as soon as u feel the back end slipping out the directness of the flick of the wrist to counter steer the front wheel is superbly precise.

There's an article in the forum under reading material that talks about a 205s performance on the track... have a read if u can be bothered. It's quite a good read.

Banned

sounds good. which article is it?

Default NO power!!!

heya,
    i have to say a non-power steering 205 feels much more direct than the power steering ones.i did learn in a power steering car and felt that the road would get further away from the tyres as soon as you hook in on a turn!well i mean i couldnt felt the road for sh*t!

my friend had a 92 pulsar sss and even with his lowered and konis i could cain it thru ant twisteis!when we changed car so he was drivin mine he trownced me!in my own car!jap stuff doesn't and will never compare to the most part of all euro designed suspension!

off the point here but yeah a 205 with no power cant beat the feel!

jordan

Banned

thanks guys.
    thats enough for me to rip the bugger out next week.
    i simply hate that airy feeling in steering.
    i just hope it wont get too sluggish around town when i
    lower it later on with 16's...
    oh well its a learning curve i guess.
    i'll let yas know how i go.

Dude u might find 16 inch wheels a little big for the chassis of a road going 205. Then lowering it with 16s is something that might be difficult w/out 10 or maybe 15mm spacers which are now illegal.

Banned

i guess i could be happy with the original 15's, but are u telling me that 16's are no good for the gti with or without powesteering? and lowered as well?
    because i was really looking forward to a set of nimrods...
    and if i do use spacers, does it affect the car in any way?? i dont mind it being illegal.. i gues if i get defected i'll slap on the 15's..
    im just hoping that a combination of 16's, slight lowering and no p/s will not make a bad ride

Quote Originally Posted by Gem-205
    thanks guys.
    thats enough for me to rip the bugger out next week.
    Can I have all the p/s gear then?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Banned

yea u can however i just got to get it all sorted out first. i will let u know in the next couple weeks.

VIP Sponsor

yea u can however i just got to get it all sorted out first. i will let u know in the next couple weeks.

My opinion is that the power steering does dull the feel but for any sort of motorsport where you need quick steering inputs it is a neccesity.
    In motorkhanas my GTI demanded a lot of effort to keep the wheels pointed in the right direction. I can sit back and steer with one hand in the SI, the quicker ratio helps as well. The other bad thing about the manual steering is the way it goes very light as you turn it away from the straight ahead, variable ratio perhaps?
    So for high speed roads the manual steering is great but for everything else the power steering is the way to go.

Graham Wallis

hI,

In my last 205 i had pwr steering but 6.5 wide 15" rims with azensis tyres and harder shocks. this had all the feeling of non pwr steering. I wouldn't take out the pwr steering unless its stuffed. The car will devalue and you will have a non standard 205. Standard 205's are hard to sell non-standard are almost impossible. Hope this helps.

Cheers Nick

Banned

thanks for the input. but i got to refer to my old crx, like i said, 89 lowered wtih 16's, no p/s and the cars handling was as responsive as a go kart. it wasnt hard to park etc, the steering was still fairly light. it was very stiff and controlled around corners, and going in and coming out of a corner was very smooth, never any lightness or heaviness. my query is mainly this, will i get the same kind of result from my pug?
    yous mentioned ratios and stuff... thats the other thing that got me boggled.
    i guess the crx was designed that way and hence its steering ratios were suited to that car, the question is would the pug have bad ratios because it was designed to have p/s???
    all comments appreciated.

HI,

Go drive a non-pwr steering 205 before you start hacking. Then you'll no if you like it or not? I'm sure there is someone on here who will let you.

Cheers Nick

Banned

yea thats the best thing said.
    any volunteers in sydney?

VIP Sponsor

thanks for the input. but i got to refer to my old crx, like i said, 89 lowered wtih 16's, no p/s and the cars handling was as responsive as a go kart. it wasnt hard to park etc, the steering was still fairly light. it was very stiff and controlled around corners, and going in and coming out of a corner was very smooth, never any lightness or heaviness. my query is mainly this, will i get the same kind of result from my pug?
    yous mentioned ratios and stuff... thats the other thing that got me boggled.
    i guess the crx was designed that way and hence its steering ratios were suited to that car, the question is would the pug have bad ratios because it was designed to have p/s???
    all comments appreciated.
    The 205 was designed to have manual steering. In fact very few 205s have power steering. Series 3 GTIs and SIs are the only ones that I know of, although some of the other later variants such as diesels would no doubt have it as well.

Graham Wallis

Banned

Bingo. so P/S gti's arent as common as i once thought?
    you'v shed some good light by mentioning that the 205 was designed to have manual steering, so now im predicting that it would have decent manual ratios?
    cem

Where do you live?

And tell us the time your gonna be home with the car. Leave it parked out the front too ok?

That must be some good weed your smoking Luca.

WTF are you going on about?

You get the address i get the time he's home and we do the heist!

Ok. I get you now.

Is that why the mafia didn't ask you to go full time Daz?

Banned

50 Chisholm Rd auburn 2144
    home during the week, studying,
    heavy sleeper,
    shotgun, and
    BIG mother dog,

cem

no serious, anyone got a no p/s 205?

Do u want us to close this thread and we'll start the whole thing over again?

Or shall i just refer you to the top of this thread?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information