505 outback suspension
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 outback suspension

Hi Folks,

Anyone had any experience with tricking up a 505 for outback roads? I saw a picture at one stage of someone in Australia who had increased the ground clearance and beefed up the suspension on a 504 wagon for a trip to Cape York. Anyone know exactly what he did to gain the extra clearance? My 505 is the wagon so no independant rear.

Thanks for any info.

Advertisement
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

We lived 200 km west of Bourke for a couple of years, and they dont get much more outback than some of the places around there. Most new Holdens and Fords didn't pass their forst yearly inspection.
    We had standard 504s and never had any problems. We had only minor stuff like a broken headlight and lots of flat tyres.
    One thing you should do is fit the toughest tyres you can find, because nice highway tyres don't last long. We bought a car with over $1500 worth of top of the range tyres ( and this is the mid 80s here, a lot of $$$) and they lasted less than a week before they all blew. We got the roughest toughest cheap tyres we could find, and they lasted pretty well. You still carried 2 spares though.
    The 504 was fantastic out there, and there were some who were envious, including a bloke who reckoned a car that cheap had no right to be more comfortable than his new Mercedes.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Fellow Frogger!

Yep email me [email protected] or 62488442 I was lucky enough to do the Cape in the 504 wagon

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Bruce, I'll pmail you, we met at the meeting the other day. We should have a longer chat sometime as I've both rallied 504s and did a big outback trip in a 504 wagon in 91. Will give you contact details and we can catch up.

Cheers

Jim

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by yawood
    Hi Folks,

Anyone had any experience with tricking up a 505 for outback roads? I saw a picture at one stage of someone in Australia who had increased the ground clearance and beefed up the suspension on a 504 wagon for a trip to Cape York. Anyone know exactly what he did to gain the extra clearance? My 505 is the wagon so no independant rear.

Thanks for any info.
    Bruce,

The guy you want is Dennis Barber. You should be able to contact him through the PCCV. His 505 wagon looks like a Dangel, but is still only 4x2. I think he's in Toowoomba these days. I don't have a current e-mail address for him. He wrote a comprehensive description of what he'd done in an article in Torque awhile back.

Regards,
    Warwick.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Bruce, Dennis is a mate of mine and Colin's (Alpine) so we both have his contact details. His wagon has the front suspension out of my safari car under it but I think that would be excessive for your needs. IUt was build to carry a winch and is sort of Ok with the diesel engine but not really compliant enough.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the responses folks. Yes Jim, I agree that would be excessive. I don't intend turning the wagon into a bush basher, I just want to ensure it is reliable and safe while handling all outback roads and the occasional benign excursion to an attraction that's not right on the road.

Colin and Jim, I'll be in touch. I'm not in a tearing hurry - just want to make sure I've got my ducks in a row before I start spending any money.

Cheers.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    Previously owned:
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:

If you want tyres for this type of work I can highly recommend the Sime 195x15 Fronteir ( I think that's how you spell it) Completed the Redex on my 404 wagon....No punctures..very good at speed....very good ride and not much wear after about 18000 kms. They are a semi off road type of tyre but you wouldn't know it when you drive on them. Tough as old boots and only cost me $102 each. Regards Hank.

Quote Originally Posted by BigH
    If you want tyres for this type of work I can highly recommend the Sime 195x15 Fronteir ( I think that's how you spell it) Completed the Redex on my 404 wagon....No punctures..very good at speed....very good ride and not much wear after about 18000 kms. They are a semi off road type of tyre but you wouldn't know it when you drive on them. Tough as old boots and only cost me $102 each. Regards Hank.
    Thanks Hank, that's great to know - I much prefer to get advice from someone who's used something in similar conditions on the same sort of vehicle than from a salesman. Good of you to respond.

Cheers.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    Previously owned:
    Brother owned:

Quote Originally Posted by BigH
    What wheels are you running on the 404? Did you get standard wheels widened, or aftermarket ones?
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information