Rebuild Time for the XU9J4
  • Register
  • Help

Default Rebuild Time for the XU9J4

Hey guys

It has come to my attention that i should rebuild my motor from scatch. I have looked into it and it looks like the best bet before doing any work to the head etc etc. Start from the bottom and go up i guess.

Advertisement

I was going to pull it apart new rings all that stuff and get everything balanced and stuff. is there anything that anyone would recomend looking at? I figured if i was going to do it i may as well do it properley before doing mods to the head and the new computer and all that stuff.

Any ideas would be great!

Frog On!

Quote Originally Posted by sproose16v
    Hey guys

It has come to my attention that i should rebuild my motor from scatch. I have looked into it and it looks like the best bet before doing any work to the head etc etc. Start from the bottom and go up i guess.

I was going to pull it apart new rings all that stuff and get everything balanced and stuff. is there anything that anyone would recomend looking at? I figured if i was going to do it i may as well do it properley before doing mods to the head and the new computer and all that stuff.

Any ideas would be great!

Frog On!

Check liner wear on the thrust side. Depending on how well it's been looked after, this will vary. If the liners are worn and it needs new rings, consider a piston/liner kit. They're excellent value. High compression kits are $1500 from memory. Rings are $280 a set. Now that's the worst of course. You may be able to re-use the rings and liners. Just be carefull taking them off the pistons.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Check liner wear on the thrust side. Depending on how well it's been looked after, this will vary. If the liners are worn and it needs new rings, consider a piston/liner kit. They're excellent value. High compression kits are $1500 from memory. Rings are $280 a set. Now that's the worst of course. You may be able to re-use the rings and liners. Just be carefull taking them off the pistons.
    Thanks PeterT Champion!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Piston liner kits for the XN1 are only around $500, they used to sell for $350 until fairly recently.
    Ring sets are around $100 for these engines.
    Ok, the XU engine stuff is priced higher but I have got very high quality ring
    sets (ductile cast iron top ring, gapless second rings etc.) from Australian Precision Engine Parts in Wantirna South Vic, for not much more. Might be worth looking into.

Graham Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Piston liner kits for the XN1 are only around $500, they used to sell for $350 until fairly recently.
    Ring sets are around $100 for these engines.
    Ok, the XU engine stuff is priced higher but I have got very high quality ring
    sets (ductile cast iron top ring, gapless second rings etc.) from Australian Precision Engine Parts in Wantirna South Vic, for not much more. Might be worth looking into.

Graham Wallis
    Thanks Graham! i may be in contact in a month or so if u still have stock!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by sproose16v
    Thanks Graham! i may be in contact in a month or so if u still have stock!
    I don't run APEP!
    Their number is 03 9887 1299
    Graham

Thanks Mate!

Thread Information