Spark Plugs in the 504
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    EMC
    EMC is offline
    Member EMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Indooroopilly, Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    64

    Icon5 Spark Plugs in the 504

    I know this might sound like a really dumb question... but how do you get to the sparkplugs in the 504GL?

    do you need a special tool to get them out?

    thanks!

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    yes you will need to either beg borrow or steal a tube spanner to get in there to get them out

    osunds like some previous owner must have removed the one from the car before you got it
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  3. #3
    EMC
    EMC is offline
    Member EMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Indooroopilly, Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    64

    Default

    ahh...hmmm... ok, i'll see if my dad's got one lying about

    can you (or anyone else) be more specific? is there a "size" that it has to be or something?

    thanks heaps!
    Last edited by EMC; 29th March 2004 at 09:50 PM.

  4. #4
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EMC
    ahh...hmmm... ok, i'll see if my dad's got one lying about

    can you (or anyone else) be more specific? is there a "size" that it has to be or something?

    thanks heaps!

    it's a standard 13/16" fitting and the tube part of the spanner is about 8" long in total

    so yeah 13/16" tube spanner is what is needed
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  5. #5
    EMC
    EMC is offline
    Member EMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Indooroopilly, Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    64

    Default

    cool, thanks... I'll see if i can pick one up
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

  6. #6
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EMC
    cool, thanks... I'll see if i can pick one up

    any tool/parts store should have one
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  7. #7
    EMC
    EMC is offline
    Member EMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Indooroopilly, Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    64

    Default

    hmm.... ok...

    I think i found the right tool... it appears to fit... but i can't get the bloody thing undone...

    is there something i'm missing? or has it just been screwed on very tight?
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

  8. #8
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EMC
    hmm.... ok...

    I think i found the right tool... it appears to fit... but i can't get the bloody thing undone...

    is there something i'm missing? or has it just been screwed on very tight?

    do any of the plugs come out or are they all tight ?

    how long has the car had the plugs in it for ?

    has the car been running or how long has it been since it ran last ?

    the plugs can become tight in the head over time and also if the head is cracked they will be hard to get out as well

    don't be too worried as all 504 heads have cracks in them but if the plug is tight then the crack may have gone up the plug thread which if it has it will need a heli coil put in place
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  9. #9
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Are you sure you have a tube spanner that fits?

    The originals are very thin-walled... many other plug spanners didn't fit right down the plug tubes to get onto the hex...

  10. #10
    EMC
    EMC is offline
    Member EMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Indooroopilly, Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    do any of the plugs come out or are they all tight ?

    how long has the car had the plugs in it for ?

    has the car been running or how long has it been since it ran last ?

    the plugs can become tight in the head over time and also if the head is cracked they will be hard to get out as well

    don't be too worried as all 504 heads have cracks in them but if the plug is tight then the crack may have gone up the plug thread which if it has it will need a heli coil put in place

    Nope, none of the plugs come out.

    I have no idea how long they have been in there... thats part of the reason I want to take a look at them.

    The car has been running.

    I've tried it when the engine is both cold & hot (just in case that made a difference)

    I might ask my mechanic... it's due for a tune up & service & things in 2 weeks anyway...
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

  11. #11
    EMC
    EMC is offline
    Member EMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Indooroopilly, Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Are you sure you have a tube spanner that fits?

    The originals are very thin-walled... many other plug spanners didn't fit right down the plug tubes to get onto the hex...

    I think its the right size... I mean when you twist it around it feels like it fits.
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

  12. #12
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    if you can get away with it don't take plugs out of a hot pug

    they are prone to cracking even more so if you do this
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  13. #13
    EMC
    EMC is offline
    Member EMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Indooroopilly, Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    if you can get away with it don't take plugs out of a hot pug

    they are prone to cracking even more so if you do this

    oops

    well they didnt come out...so its ok yes? hehehehe
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •