Lexia, PP2000, Diagbox, factory scan tool for Citroen and Peugeot vehicles. Revealed
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Lexia, PP2000, Diagbox, factory scan tool for Citroen and Peugeot vehicles. Revealed

Hi
    I thought a thread on these factory diagnostic scan and operating tools might be useful for newcomers to these PSA brands. I know when I first came to them I had no idea what they were and what they could do, or even why you would need them.

I thought that people could restrict to contributing either, only known good first hand information, or genuine questions they would like to have answered. If the topic is subverted by people speculating then IMHO it will loose its effectiveness as an information bank.

My contribution: The two original tools for Citroen-Lexia and Peugeot-PP2000, introduced a little before 2000, were developments of somewhat earlier electronic computer based tools used by the factory to communicate with the new cars and diagnose electronic faults and operate the electronic controlled devices for servicing or repair. They were required tools for official service agents and had to be purchased along with other service tools by dealers. The official tools comprised a computer with software, a series of hardware connections and the ability to access the internet for direct factory interaction. This also enabled access direct to the spares information and ordering, and service information from the factory. The tools communicate with all the onboard ECUs, engine, transmission, body controls, climate, brakes and ??

So to summerise, a computer, software, and connections between the computer and the cars diagnostic ports, and an internet connection. The connecting cables are combined smart hardware units not just straight wires and pins. That system has continued on since for 15+ years and has continuously been added too as new models come along. In recent years the two tools have been combined into one called DIAGBOX. So the latest tool should do both Brands and all the previous models supported.

The other evolution has been in the software. The original software was designed for W95 or similar. As the operating systems of all computers has progressed so have the TOOL SOFTWARE issues been changed to suit, but always lagging behind. So even the current software AFAIK still needs an obsolete computer operating system or a virtual old operating system on a modern laptop. The second issue with the software is that it is a collection of different programs melded into one. The ECUs fitted to the cars over the years have been supplied by every know manufacturer and some unknown ones as well So the software for each is different. That's the way it is folks ! This software collection and history can be quite hard to sort out if you are not computer literate. However it can do everything including replacing the ECU software with a new version or even NOTHING !

Of course it must be said the factory tools are very expensive, so you will probably not be getting them for your use and they are protected from direct copying. However the Asian suppliers have cloned the hardware and the software for sale on the internet. In past times not all versions work reliably and/or on all cars and/or on all computers. Other people who have been successful can comment on current versions.

Advertisement

cheers Jaahn
    I would be happy to update any incorrect information I have put here and welcome other constructive first hand questions or other contributions. Could be a sticky perhaps as it is a perenial question asked.

1000+ Posts

For those who can't deal with Windows and have the cash, there are suppliers who will sell you a recent second hand laptop computer, with the operating system and the Diagbox software already installed and running, together with the required plug.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    For those who can't deal with Windows and have the cash, there are suppliers who will sell you a recent second hand laptop computer, with the operating system and the Diagbox software already installed and running, together with the required plug.
    For those of us that cant deal with windows, its just about worth it... I was given an old crappy laptop that only has a clean install of XP on it with Lexia and the Renault CLIP software.

Its not worth the brain damage to run the cracked software on a computer you use for other stuff.

1000+ Posts

Default Hmm ?? not much discussion ? everyone knows it all already :)

Hi,
    Thanks for the two replies, on the point too !

However I did expect more comment from people who have working tools and use them and could even comment on my summary, surely it is not perfect ??

Another point of comment could be the OBD and EOBD connection with normal scan tools. I know there has been lots of questions about this and lots of answers. There are lots of scanners that claim to do these cars OK and perform just like the factory ones do, however this is just BS. Minimal access is available only, and variable depending on the model. However you can usually read codes and do a basic clear of some to put out the light perhaps!

Could this thread be moved to Technical and Performance for a reference ?? or is it not worth it ?
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    For those of us that cant deal with windows, its just about worth it... I was given an old crappy laptop that only has a clean install of XP on it with Lexia and the Renault CLIP software.

Its not worth the brain damage to run the cracked software on a computer you use for other stuff.
    Jaahn,

A slight side step to the topic. But this software creates a bootable USB pen drive for windows installation.(ie some laptops without a DVD drive. This may help you Haakon.
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Al that is needed is a Windows DVD Iso file. Rufus is a simple exe file and does not need to be installed. And it's fast. Works a treat and it's freeware.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Icon12 Moved. . .

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Could this thread be moved to Technical and Performance for a reference ?? or is it not worth it ?
    Jaahn

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I've been running a (relatively early) clone of Lexia and Peugeot Planet for several years. It has some shortcomings, especially on 407 V6s - lacks some form of patch or update and wants to "phone home" for help - not that I let it. For most diagnoses and reading of parameters it's fine.

What people seem to miss in their attempts to make best use of a kit, is that it's not simply about reading the faults logged; all too often they are symptomatic. It's also about scanning the live data; this will often give better clues about the root cause of a problem. Some faults are best diagnosed two up, with the passenger reading the screen whilst a driver (under instruction from the passenger) puts the car through its paces.

My biggest issues have been with the earlier style maroon connector that has 30 pins. It's a poor copy of the original and the size is a bit large; this makes it hard to properly engage in a diagnostic socket.

Thread Information