205 head difficulties
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 head difficulties

hey guys, i have a few questions i just cant get a straight answer out of any mechanics, i bought my 205 in october last year and i cant complain too much i love it too much, yet i noticed ever since i bought it i couldnt get it over 4000 rpm which worried me. i spoke to a mechanic and he said it was probably just my cat which may had been clogged with gunk, so it was replaced, that helped slightly,
    i do have a sparco cold air induction kit and an exhaust and i have noticed that since putting them on i can hear the engine a lot better (obviously) and it sounds like i am running 3 cylindars from about 2000rpm to about 3500 rpm then it smooths out and pushes to around 5200 rpm, i spoke to a different mechanic and he drove it and said that i could possibly have a shitty valve stem on my number 4 cylindar, we checked the compression and that cylindr was down a bit but not much for the kms.

i guess my question is what is the worst possible scenario for me, i just want it to run well, is a head recondition going to help me?
    if so could i buy the parts etc?

thanks!!!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by garett205
    hey guys, i have a few questions i just cant get a straight answer out of any mechanics, i bought my 205 in october last year and i cant complain too much i love it too much, yet i noticed ever since i bought it i couldnt get it over 4000 rpm which worried me. i spoke to a mechanic and he said it was probably just my cat which may had been clogged with gunk, so it was replaced, that helped slightly,
    i do have a sparco cold air induction kit and an exhaust and i have noticed that since putting them on i can hear the engine a lot better (obviously) and it sounds like i am running 3 cylindars from about 2000rpm to about 3500 rpm then it smooths out and pushes to around 5200 rpm, i spoke to a different mechanic and he drove it and said that i could possibly have a shitty valve stem on my number 4 cylindar, we checked the compression and that cylindr was down a bit but not much for the kms.

i guess my question is what is the worst possible scenario for me, i just want it to run well, is a head recondition going to help me?

thanks!!!
    Valve stem seal failure is very common on these engines, but that will just result in smoke. It should still rev out nicely to 6000+. If all the cylinders have good compression (180 psi), it's more likely your cam timing is out by a tooth. Verify cam timing and compression before doing anything else (in that order).

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Does your 205 use much oil?
    Some of the Bx's i have seen (same engine) have badly polished bores. This makes them use a fair bit of oil, and also they dont feel very healthy when you give them full throttle. The problem could be that your getting a bit of blowby when the engine is under heavy load.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Valve stem seal failure is very common on these engines, but that will just result in smoke. It should still rev out nicely to 6000+. If all the cylinders have good compression (180 psi), it's more likely your cam timing is out by a tooth. Verify cam timing and compression before doing anything else (in that order).

yeh i think you may be on to something, the car runs on 3 and a half cylindars though, that is what worries me most. it is good up high but down low is shit, like it needs for the combustion to build up with the revs , maybe something is leaking

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Does your 205 use much oil?
    Some of the Bx's i have seen (same engine) have badly polished bores. This makes them use a fair bit of oil, and also they dont feel very healthy when you give them full throttle. The problem could be that your getting a bit of blowby when the engine is under heavy load.

Dave
    like most peugeots i have heard it uses a little oil, but it doesnt blow any smoke and i check the oil regularly and it is fine.

thanks
    http://www.peugeotperformance.net/gallery/205/garett205gti/garett205gti.html

Could be something else guys follow me now.....

Does it get noisey when u're revving it out?
    or
    Does it start to sound like a tractor (tak tak tak)?

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Could be something else guys follow me now.....

Does it get noisey when u're revving it out?
    or
    Does it start to sound like a tractor (tak tak tak)?

the only noise it gets when revving it out is the induction noise, when the car is idleing, the tappets are quite noisey and it does sound a bit like a tractor,

i am going to check my timing setups, if i had a broken valve stem wouldnt it fall into the piston cylindar??? also symtoms of cam timing sound similar to mine so i guess it will be a touch and go operation
    http://www.peugeotperformance.net/gallery/205/garett205gti/garett205gti.html

Quote Originally Posted by garett205

thanks!!!
    You're a mexican bandit

Thread Information