5 speed conversion for 404 ute
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 5 speed conversion for 404 ute

My father has just restored a 77 404 UXD diesel ute, and is now contemplating fitting a 5 speed box from a 505 to it. As I am as of this Saturday also the owner of a 404 ute (petrol this time) I interested if any poor bastarrd out there has ever done this, and what are the do' s and don'ts (apart from not buying a 404 in the first place)

Advertisement
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe
    55 203C (gently warmed) gone... sold...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi 03
    My father has just restored a 77 404 UXD diesel ute, and is now contemplating fitting a 5 speed box from a 505 to it. As I am as of this Saturday also the owner of a 404 ute (petrol this time) I interested if any poor bastarrd out there has ever done this, and what are the do' s and don'ts (apart from not buying a 404 in the first place)

i don't know how the 5spd is going to fit as the 404 has a smaller tunnel than a 505

even in a 504 a 5spd is tight unless you use an auto tunnel 504 which is bigger which in turn is a lot bigger than a 404 tunnel

maybe someone else will know something i don't but the 5spd is bigger than a 4spd
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

But as you well know, 'rambo, it has been done...

I've seen a ute so equipped, and neatly done... and still using the column change, which does complicate matters.

It must be the BA7/5, of course. There is only minor work needed to the tunnel.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i have heard of one that was done but there was another one that i heard was going to get the transplant and they gave up as to get it right they had to make the tunnel larger

i am still yet to see one done

i would like to see it done but we are talking about 404's here

i was going to put one in a 203 with a 2L engine and that was definately going to be a tunnel mod job and i remembering sizing up a 404 one and worked out that a 504 was going to be better

then of course there is no room left in the car as the tunnel takes up a lot of room

baker put the 5spd in his wagon and that looked like a bit of work but there was a bit more to that wagon

a job well done except i still like to 16V a 403 wagon
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

As ever,'rambo, you are exaggerating the situation...

There's nowhere that anything has to be moved more than about an inch... and that's under the floor!

In the main, we're talking about bulging the right hand side of the tunnel out about 20mm, and then only right at the back of the box, which is (of course) where there is most room in the car to infringe upon.

Fellow Frogger!

The tunnel of the donor 505 is available, so tunnel size isn't a big worry. It seems that mechanically the conversion is possible, and it will certainly help the driveablity of the beast.
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe
    55 203C (gently warmed) gone... sold...

No, modify the original tunnel...

Fellow Frogger!

[At Pugworks in Brisbane there is one of the best 404 utes with BA75 column shift with a Ti motor and does it motor!!!!

They may assist you with advice , biggest hassle was getting the column shift happening I am told

That's right... to retain the original column change linkages, among the other things they had to do was fit the main housing section of the box from a 404... which provides the pivot for the change mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    That's right... to retain the original column change linkages, among the other things they had to do was fit the main housing section of the box from a 404... which provides the pivot for the change mechanism.
    Bloody Hell! Looks like I won't be sticking a 5 speed into mine then. Pity, as I quite like the idea, but not without the original column change.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

What's the difficulty?

As I've been explaining, it's not too hard at all...

Thread Information