Cylinder Head for 205GTI.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Cylinder Head for 205GTI.

Hello lads, I am in need of advice. I have a 205GTI inlovely Brisbane with a DEAD engine, ( one cracked piston liner). The bottom end is fine although I will rebuild it, What I need is a better cylinder head as the 205 gti head only has 8.4 to 1 compression. I have been told a later model 405 head is the go as they have 8mm deep combustion chambers and the original 205gti head has 11mm deep chambers. Also a Citroen BX head would also do the job. I intend to retain the original fuel injection system. Any thoughts !!!!!! MAXIE Brisbane.

Advertisement

Hi Maxie,

I have done exactly what you described to my Citroen Bx. It had an early 8.4:1 compression engine (DFZ). I added the late model head (which does indeed have a smaller combustion chamber) and also a 0.5mm copper head gasket to end up with 11:1 compression.
    The combustion chamber has a nicer shape on the later head and the valves are slightly larger too.
    This is what the chamber looks like in the later head (DKZ)

Cheers,

Dave

Yay!! another 205 with a cracked Liner. I thought I am the ONLY idiot managed to crack the thick 205 liner.

Dave,

Where did you managed to find a newer head??? Cos I was think along the same line get a later model head and do it up rather than pissing around with the old 8.4:1 head.

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Maxie:

Just re-read my last post, just in case you think I am saying you are an idiot for cracking a 205 liner, please don't. Cos my mechanic has told me that after many years of rebuilding peugeot 205s and 405s engine he never seen one with a cracked liner.

Sorry for the confusion

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Billy,

The head was off a Bx Tri 122 that was also in the family until it got crashed - is now under a tarp in the back yard.
    As PeterT has shown however, it is easy to get nice power out of the early head with a big shave and a bit of a clean up.

Dave

I know this might sound off on a tangent;

BUT;

The 1.9L Mi16 cylinder liners would fit and are reinforced unlike the DFZ and DKZ (8v derivative) units.

Quote Originally Posted by 205 GTI16
    I know this might sound off on a tangent;

BUT;

The 1.9L Mi16 cylinder liners would fit and are reinforced unlike the DFZ and DKZ (8v derivative) units.
    They do indeed fit. But remember they're only as strong as the weakest point, which for the 8V and 16V liners are the same, the liner to liner section.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Where did the crack occur maxie? - at the point where the two liners touch?

Would be interesting to hear...

Fellow Frogger!

Where did the crack occur maxie? - at the point where the two liners touch?

Would be interesting to hear...
    The crack was at the rear of the far right cylinder, Im not sure if that is #1 or #4 on Peugeot engines as I am still getting up to speed with these engines after racing a Datsun 1600 for 3 years this 205 is like a modern car for me !!!!!! any way does everyone agree that I need a Peugeot 405 DKZ head, or a Citroen BX tri 122 head to put on the 205gti bottom end to give me better compression???? cheers MAXIE.

Quote Originally Posted by maxie
    any way does everyone agree that I need a Peugeot 405 DKZ head, or a Citroen BX tri 122 head to put on the 205gti bottom end to give me better compression???? cheers MAXIE.
    Thats correct maxie, you need a DKZ head which comes on late 205's, 405's, Citroen Bx Tri 122's and TZi's (not Tri's though they are a DFZ like your current head)
    With a 1.3mm head gasket you should get about 9.8:1 compression and with a 1.5mm headgasket 9.6:1 either of these should be fine with the standard computer
    Cheers,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by maxie
    The crack was at the rear of the far right cylinder, Im not sure if that is #1 or #4 on Peugeot engines as I am still getting up to speed with these engines
    just remember this - cylinder 1 is at the gearbox end.

Fellow Frogger!

just remember this - cylinder 1 is at the gearbox end.
    Number 1 at the gearbox, got that, thanks for everybodys help, I shall power-on. MAXIE.

Thread Information