s16 like mi16?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: s16 like mi16?

Icon6 s16 like mi16?

the s16 engine will drop into the 205 like the mi16 won't it?

whats the s16 engine called?

whats one worth?

Advertisement

what about the gti6 or 206gti180 engines would they go in the 205?

would the 205 box bolt up?
    I like whipping my 205 around almost as much as I like whipping my RM250 through the air (you don't know your limits untill you have been past them)

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pugly
    the s16 engine will drop into the 205 like the mi16 won't it?

whats the s16 engine called?

whats one worth?

what about the gti6 or 206gti180 engines would they go in the 205?

would the 205 box bolt up?
    i suppose they would but remember the GTi-6,S16 and maybe the 180 engine are cast iron blocks so they are heavier

it has been done

pretty sure the S2 Mi/S16 engine is an XU10J4 engine
    GTi-6 is XU10J4RS
    the 180 i presume would be the EW10J............ i think. i may be wrong on this one as i have next to know knowledge on the 180 other than they don't come with spare wheels
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    i suppose they would but remember the GTi-6,S16 and maybe the 180 engine are cast iron blocks so they are heavier

it has been done

pretty sure the S2 Mi/S16 engine is an XU10J4 engine
    GTi-6 is XU10J4RS
    the 180 i presume would be the EW10J............ i think. i may be wrong on this one as i have next to know knowledge on the 180 other than they don't come with spare wheels
    they don't have spare wheels?

what, wheel in a can?
    I like whipping my 205 around almost as much as I like whipping my RM250 through the air (you don't know your limits untill you have been past them)

Naah 'rambo they do.... u can buy a 17 inch wheel and have a half size boot!!

I think the comparitively light weight of the 205 chassie compared to the 306 leans itself mroe toward the XU9J4 engine, however as said, there have been examples of the 2.0l from either ther S16 or the GTI6 being transplanted with no-doubt aewsome results. I would think the money saved on buying an Aust. XU9 would easily make up the power difference between them.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Brad is completely correct.

---

I was seriously considering S16 motor over Oz 1.9 Mi16.

I took the Oz 1.9 Mi16 (XU9J4/Z) (note the Z) because:
    1) It used Motronic 1.3 like my late 205 so wiring was a f*cking cinch
    2) It has a knock sensor unlike UK/French 1.9 Mi16 so will never ping and can be safely run (according to Peugeot books in glovebox) on standard 91 Unleaded pump fuel if in an emergency...
    3) Unlike the heavy cast-iron S16 motor, the 1.9 Mi16 weighs (with gearbox and minus air-con compressor) only 168kg - 2kg lighter than 8v (with gearbox and air-con compressor) - yes, I weighed it!
    4) It doesn't have coil-per-cylinder or vacuum diaphragms to cost me $$$ all the time.
    5) The cubic capacity of the motor was unchanged (going to 16V) so easier to get through Road Transport Authority - they don't like turbos or anything related to cubic capacity change.

The only advantage of the S16 motor?

Torque and lots of it.

An incredible bottom end. I dynoed my friends stock 1.9 Mi16 against a stock S16 and the S16 blew the doors off it for torque. I was so tempted but for the 5 reasons above, I took the 1.9 Mi16.
    Last edited by Brad; 21st March 2004 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 205 GTI16

---

2) It has a knock sensor unlike UK/French 1.9 Mi16 so will never ping and can be safely run (according to Peugeot books in glovebox) on standard 91 Unleaded pump fuel if in an emergency...
    3) Unlike the heavy cast-iron S16 motor, the 1.9 Mi16 weighs (with gearbox and minus air-con compressor) only 168kg - 2kg lighter than 8v (with gearbox and air-con compressor) - yes, I weighed it!
    4) It doesn't have coil-per-cylinder or vacuum diaphragms to cost me $$$ all the time.
    5) The cubic capacity of the motor was unchanged (going to 16V) so easier to get through Road Transport Authority - they don't like turbos or anything related to cubic capacity change.

The only advantage of the S16 motor?

Torque and lots of it.

An incredible bottom end. I dynoed my friends stock 1.9 Mi16 against a stock S16 and the S16 blew the doors off it for torque. I was so tempted but for the 5 reasons above, I took the 1.9 Mi16.
    what did the conversion cost u in parts all up?

Tadpole

I have the gti6 engine in my 205.
    The 180 wont fit as easy since the mounts are different i think.

I remember somebody in England comparing the mi16 to the gti6 with about 15kg weight difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 205 GTI16

---

- Not entirely true. Here in the UK the 1.9 405 Mi16 went from motronic 4.1 to motronic 1.3 in 1991. Only other difference? A knock sensor. It still didn't have a Cat or Lambda sensor so it was still supposed to be 155 - 160 bhp.
    405 MI16
    170bhp
    Le lion va de la force la force!

Quote Originally Posted by jochem
    I have the gti6 engine in my 205.
    The 180 wont fit as easy since the mounts are different i think.

I remember somebody in England comparing the mi16 to the gti6 with about 15kg weight difference.
    That's interesting, I've heard many people, including myself, quote weight difference as being the main reason, however 15kg is minor. This would easily be able to be made back by removing some of the ancillaries like A/C and moving the battery to the rear. I guess the cost would also make the GTI6 lump hard to justify.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Quote Originally Posted by pugly
    what did the conversion cost u in parts all up?
    About $5000 and a girlfriend. I am too scared to add up all the receipts. Girlfriend was worth losing anyway - she had serious issues...

I externally rebuilt the engine. Compressions were very good so no need to pop the head. I did all 6 shaft end's oil seals, water pump, cambelt tension rollers x 2, cambelt, flywheel pulley (harmonic balancer), gearbox input shaft seal, flywheel machined, new Mi16 clutch, new thrust bearing, new outdrive seals (driveshaft seal)... Have I forgot anything? Oh, a brand-new early model 205 Peugeot-radiator - late model radiators will not tilt forward - just believe me okay. All new factory parts = expensive conversion! But also a perfect conversion.

The only reason it cost $5000+ is because I am very particular (comes with being an engineer) and insisted on using Peugeot parts and nothing but. You couldn't fault the conversion - everything is Peugeot - even down to hoses, wires and ring clamps.
    Last edited by 205 GTI16; 23rd March 2004 at 12:32 AM.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    That's interesting, I've heard many people, including myself, quote weight difference as being the main reason, however 15kg is minor. This would easily be able to be made back by removing some of the ancillaries like A/C and moving the battery to the rear. I guess the cost would also make the GTI6 lump hard to justify.
    I did move the batt. to the boot. But meanly because of the space it would give my in front.
    The gti6 lump does cost more than the average mi16. But i took into consideration some facts:
    - mi16 should require some overhaul due to the age. gti6 come young, mine was 44000km.
    - gti6 has newer more sophisticated management.
    - 2l conversions are rare opposed to mi16. some geek value there :-)
    - there is more power in the gti6 than the mi16, although i think improvements come easier with the mi16....

Thread Information