Turbocharging 16V
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Turbocharging 16V

Dear Mates,

Im from Malaysia and currently own a Citroen ZX 16V 1994....im contemplating to turbocharging my car....just wanna know whether you guys have turbocharged this engine previously....i would like to keep the costs low so im opting out for decompression plate to reduce compression ratio rather than using forged low comp pistons....any of you have done this? i want to run only about 6-8psi of boost to maintain the reliablitiy of my car....

any suggestions? any websites where i can buy or turbo kit?

if no are there any websites where i can obtain the turbo exhaust manifold for XU10J2 and Xu10J4 engines?

Please provide me details where i can opt out to buy forged decomp pistons suitable for both these engines.

Thank you.

With Rgds,

senthil16V

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

lol, everyone has been suckered into thinking that forged pistons are needed for turbos...

simply put, they are not for road cars...

if you want to replace them after about a year, no worries... but your best best is to machine some compression out of the head or get (i dont know how to spell them) hydrolautic pistons made with less sompression, which are stronger than standard but not as bad wearing as forged.

as for boost 10psi with a decompressed engine would be no problems, but you would have to buy a stand aone ecu, maybe motec, if you want to turbocharge.

wiseco or JE in america custom make pistons

simple answer tho... if you are tight on money, you WILL blow your engine... changing atmo to turbo is very expensive, and even running low boost can easily blow you engine if you dont spend money on everything to go with it... budget for atleast AUD$13000 for anything decent, or you might be able to get a kit for around $7000

Maybe try to find a better engine to fit in your car
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 306, garrett GT25 turbo, 3" exhaust, microtech LT8 ECU, 16.7 psi, front mount cooler, Chris Milton race port&polish w/ 3 angle cut valves and redesigned combustion chamber, 186hp atw for now... injectors ran out of puff
    NOS COMING SOON!

Icon10

Dear mate,

Thanks for your suggestions....these are the following modifications that are being considered :

a) Turbo manifold
    b) Garret T25 turbo (from SR 20DET)
    c) 10 row oil cooler
    d) Surface the cylinder head to make sure the surface is completely flat.
    e) Install de-compression plate to reduce engine compression ratio from
    10.4/1 to 8.9/1.
    f) Complete head gasket kit.
    g) 2 head gaskets will have to be installed between the plate.
    h) Replace the thermo fan switch to allow fan to come on at a earlier stage
    to keep the engine running cooler.
    i) Complete 2 ½ exhaust to allow the engine run efficient with the new turbo.
    j) Modify turbo intake as well as engine intake with mandrel bent stainless
    steel piping.
    k) Install hi-flow air filter element to allow sufficient air supply to the engine.
    l) Install hi performance full injection chip to increase full supply under
    acceleration and not to allow the engine to lean off.
    m) Replace fuel pump with a high flow unit together with an adjustable fuel
    regulator
    m) Replace ignition plugs and spark plugs with a colder range.

I'll be running only 6 to 8 psi boost and expecting 50 - 60 bhp increase over the standard engine.

If you guys are interested in the performance chip, its available over here for XU9J2, XU10J2 and XU10J4 engines. Its called Speedchip and from Germany.

Current mods on my car :

1) Full sebring exhaust system
    2) Custom made mandrel bent intake system
    3) Speedchip

Kindly feecback on the above mentioned system

Thank you.

Sounds like u're trying 2 set the world on fire dude...

Thats a pretty good setup actually on a budget.

The only thing I would be doing is using a T28 rather than the T25. There may be a little more lag but the bigger turbo should be able to generate more power through greater air flow while also reducing inlet temps as it doesn't have to spin as hard. This is expecially the case without an intercooler which I did not see on your list.

Icon10

Dear Mates,

Thanks for your wonderful comments and suggestions....so you guys reckon that i go for T28 rather than a T25? Any idea what car uses this kinda of turbine? I chose the T25 because the availabilty in Malaysia....plus its got a intergral wastegate and water jacket for the bearing section.....very important in our soaring temperatures in Malaysia.....

Any suggestions what approximate size intercooler i should use with T25 or T28?

I got the design for the turbo manifold already....so kindly take a look and feedback to me....this manifold design can be used for XU10J2 and XU10J4 engines...

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Attached Images Attached Images

Look at late model SR20DET's. Here in Oz they used the T28 on the S14 and then the S15, which I think is a ball bearing turbo. I could be wrong though. Either way, they still use an internal wastegate like a T25. The other option would be to use a T25G which is the ball bearing version of the T25. Of course, ball bearing turbos are always dearer than their non ball bearing brothers.

As for the intercooler I would use the biggest one you can fit. You cannot go wrong with a big intercooler. Well you can, but very rarely.

The manifold looks great. Another way you could do it cheaply is to use the standard header part with a turbo flange mounted on a piece of pipe bolted to the headers. It would look somewhat similar to the one in the picture but would be 2 piece instead of 1.

Icon14

Dear MYT 205,

I'll check that out and see with the local shops over here whether they have the s14 or s15 turbos...yes brilliant suggestion by using a adaptor flange...it is definately cheaper....my logic is that once you have got the exhaust manifold extractor future upgrades would be a breeze....this design also ensures that there is minimal flow restriction losses in the exhaust thus increasing power output and promoting better cooling for the turbocharger....the only shortcoming is the battery and the ECU needs to be shifted to the boot to accomodate the turbocharger....

please refer to attachment to see location of turbocharger in this 205 pug Mi16 tubo....

could you please provide me with some pictures of your car? very interested in seeing your conversions down under and sharing ideas to make our cars go faster!

take care mate....

With Rgds

Senthil16V

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turbocharging 16V-205mi16turbonew1.jpg  

Ummm the SR20DET from the GTi-R(RNN-14) is also a T28, along with the PNW11(Avenir).

Good luck dude

Fellow Frogger!

After 3 second-hand turbos, all from nissan GTI-Rs, had lost their seals and dumped all my oil into my exhaust, or otherwise been stuffed, thats one reason to buy a brand new garrett gt25 (a ball bearing t28)

The ball bearings are new technology, compared to the 30yr old design of non-ball bearing

it will set you back around $1700 for the new turbo, but its btter than wasting $900 on a second hand gt25 from a JDM s14 or s15 200sx

as for the manifold, its a pretty good on, as it gives heaps of room for a t28, and easy routing of pipes and filter, its exactly the same as mine, if you wana see how your turbo will look with that manifold

www.cardomain.com/id/turbopeugeot306

As for "chipping" it, if you dont want your engine to blow, get a proper ecu
    Peugeot 306, garrett GT25 turbo, 3" exhaust, microtech LT8 ECU, 16.7 psi, front mount cooler, Chris Milton race port&polish w/ 3 angle cut valves and redesigned combustion chamber, 186hp atw for now... injectors ran out of puff
    NOS COMING SOON!

Icon14

Dear turbopeugeot 306,

Great work mate....car really looks devilsih....just a question....how come you got only 167bhp after doing so much of modifications?are you still using the standard pistons?

the standard engine pumps out about 100 plus bhp....so you only got 50-60bhp after parting with so much cash? im sure with your mods you could easily exceeded 200 plus bhp....what went wrong mate?

maybe should left the head standard without doing all the angle cutting and what not....the combustion chamber modifications is a highly sensitive job and demands high precision....a small mistake can lead to decrease in horsepower as in this case....why dont try to get another second hand head and see whether this will make a difference?

if you need any help to source out the head give me a yell....can find second heads in malaysia...
    With Rgds,

Senthil16V

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/258992

looks like it's been done successfully.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/258992

looks like it's been done successfully.

is that a diesel ??

if not then why is the redline at just over 4500rpm ??

just thought i'd ask as it seems strange otherwise
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Dunno 'rambo... i'll email the guy and find out.

Fellow Frogger!

i dont know what you are talking about 167hp,

its 185 hp at the wheels, thats a 250hp engine... alot of hp for a 1000kg car

its on standard internals, and waiting for bigger injectors is the only thing holding back another 80 odd hp
    NOS COMING SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by turbopeugeot306

its on standard internals, and waiting for bigger injectors is the only thing holding back another 80 odd hp

This will be the 4th time I post this question. Do you think you can answer it this time??
    Have you ever run this car of yours over 400m?
    What was the time? Real time not your estimate like on the other web site.

It hasn't been run man.. that's why there's no answer.

It says on your website that you've got 125kW at the front wheels.... that's 167.6 hp. I'm guessing that's where he came up with that figure. Which dyno did you see 185 hp? Turbo Tune?
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Tadpole

yo dudes..

senthil16V what have you decided to do about the turbo?? are you still wanting to do it, because me and my friend are.. we both have zx16v's!

any more news on this??

rich from the uk

Hey painman,

So whats the progress on ZX 16V man? So are using decompressed pistons or just using spacer plate? what boost are you running? any photos regarding your turbo conversions?

what kinda of info you need man? let me know the list of things need...so we can network and do the conversions to make our cars to kill all those Honda Vtecs on the road!

Take bro!

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Icon14

Hey richman,

So whats the progress on ZX 16V man? So are using decompressed pistons or just using spacer plate? what boost are you running? any photos regarding your turbo conversions?

what kinda of info you need man? let me know the list of things need...so we can network and do the conversions to make our cars to kill all those Honda Vtecs on the road!

Take bro!

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Tadpole

yeah sorry..

we are just looking to turbo our cars but really dont know where to start! its either that or shove in an ZX 3.0l v6 engine!

have you done anything to yours yet?

cheers

Fellow Frogger!

push refresh then look at my page... along with the dyno chart showing 135kw atw...

Im looking into having some gears made up to take the power increase of my 3rd engine build... we're aiming for 200kw atw this time

But thats the reason i havnt run a 1/4, i dont want to blow this box before i get a stronger box, im not paying 4g's for a box when i will only use it for 6 months... but dont worry, end of the year the new engine and box will be ready to make some numbers on the strip...... so stay tuned
    NOS COMING SOON!

Icon14

Dear Guys,

I have not modded my car with a turbo yet....definately in the near future...so you guys have decided to go NA or turbo yet?

You want further information of the kit you can refer to the mods that i want to carry out on my car...

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Fellow Frogger!

if you can get the gear you listed above go for turbo

actually.... go drive a type R integra, then go drive a turbo car w/ an intercooler and exhaust... make your decision after that
    NOS COMING SOON!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information