New S16 Exhaust Questions
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    2000+ Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,404

    Default New S16 Exhaust Questions

    I've booked the S16 in on Saturday to have some exhaust work done. I've asked for the catalytic converter to be replaced with a standard V6 Comformador type, along with a basic resonator to replace the front one in there which is pretty shot. I believe they will be using Stainless in between to.

    I'm happy with the price of $285 fitted, however should I consider also replacing the pipe from the resonator back to the rear muffler?

    I do not want more noise from the exhaust, but will increasing the diameter of this pipe create more noise?

    What is the standard diameter?

    What type of prices are thrown around for 2.25 in stainless steel for this?

    Advertisement
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts tekkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    I've booked the S16 in on Saturday to have some exhaust work done. I've asked for the catalytic converter to be replaced with a standard V6 Comformador type, along with a basic resonator to replace the front one in there which is pretty shot. I believe they will be using Stainless in between to.

    I'm happy with the price of $285 fitted, however should I consider also replacing the pipe from the resonator back to the rear muffler?

    I do not want more noise from the exhaust, but will increasing the diameter of this pipe create more noise?

    What is the standard diameter?

    What type of prices are thrown around for 2.25 in stainless steel for this?
    Brad
    Engine pipe back exhaust was going for about $1400 from the E&A motors (the rally people that have checquered reviews from different members). I'd say if you get charged more than that you might be getting taken for a ride.

    Same configuration (engine pipe back) Swifty exhaust just recently cost me $570 fitted. And that included some fancy flanges for easy removal of rear muffler and flex coupling from the engine pipe. Non SS.
    Mild steel is ok, the mufflers and cats will rust thru 1st.
    Last edited by tekkie; 16th March 2004 at 08:50 PM.
    .
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

    EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40


  3. #3
    2000+ Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Well I've already got the rear Remus box, so I'm just sussing out whether it's worth my while replacing the piping all the way back to that, or just the Cat and resonator. $285 was pretty got for just the two parts fitted with the intermediate pipe in between.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts tekkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    the GTi6 I had had 2.5inch piping. I'd suggest 2.25 as being more drivable, down low. My GTi sounded great, but as Lincoln will attest there was very little between the cars on the track, with real difference being my car getting from 6500 to 7000rpm a bit more willingly. The SS would also give you that nice zorst sound. Mild steel seem to deaden the sound a bit more it seems.
    .
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

    EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40


  5. #5
    2000+ Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Thanks, I'll see what size the current one is and if it's only 2" I might change it to 2.25.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

  6. #6
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Insert Attesting Here

  7. #7
    Member jumpin_pug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    I've booked the S16 in on Saturday to have some exhaust work done. I've asked for the catalytic converter to be replaced with a standard V6 Comformador type, along with a basic resonator to replace the front one in there which is pretty shot. I believe they will be using Stainless in between to.

    I'm happy with the price of $285 fitted, however should I consider also replacing the pipe from the resonator back to the rear muffler?

    I do not want more noise from the exhaust, but will increasing the diameter of this pipe create more noise?

    What is the standard diameter?

    What type of prices are thrown around for 2.25 in stainless steel for this?
    I am very interested to hear the outcome of this Brad...I am becoming incresingly unhappy with my exhaust setup and similarily I am considering a total overhaul.

    I have 2inch pipe from the cat with the standard resonator and a striaght through muffler, up high the difference is slighty noticeable but down low it feels considerably restrictive.

    The setup you are aiming for seems quite good and it seems like a good price too.

    In relation to your remus exhaust, did you notice a difference to the standard unit and do you recall the cost?

    I look forward to hearing the outcome of your new unit...

    cheers
    FOR SALE 1995 PEUGEOT 306S16

  8. #8
    2000+ Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    The Remus was a factory option, and I bought the car 2nd hand so I can't comment on the difference. It does have a nice note yet not loud at all.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts Luca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Optional Features Leather Trim, Metallic Paint, Power Sunroof

    in other words i disagree... could it have been a dealer option?

  10. #10
    2000+ Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Ok, I never knew that

    I understand it was an option on purchase, so was likely a dealer option then.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

  11. #11
    Zen
    Zen is offline
    Fellow Frogger! Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    490

    Default

    It was a dealer option, I'm pretty sure. I vaguely remember it when I bought mine (one owner S16!). Wasn't into modding cars back then so I didn't take much notice.

    Rich

    codito ergo sum == code monkey


    '04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts Luca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Dude tell us how the new exhaust went.... wasn't it going on 2day?

  13. #13
    2000+ Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Tomorrow morning.

    I actually had a dream about this last night

    I had come back to pick the car up and they had changed to rear muffler to one that looked like it was off a truck, was painted blue and the end pipe was shapped like a ducks beak slightly open. They tried to tell me it would increase my power, but I got REALLY pissed off and fought with them to put the old one back on, which was at that point on another car. Too much me's think
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    The SS would also give you that nice zorst sound. Mild steel seem to deaden the sound a bit more it seems.
    Interesting - I thought most people reckoned mild steel sounded best. the SS systems I've heard have sort of a tinny resonance, whereas the mild ones are smooth. Suppose it's depends on who makes them.

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts tekkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Interesting - I thought most people reckoned mild steel sounded best. the SS systems I've heard have sort of a tinny resonance, whereas the mild ones are smooth. Suppose it's depends on who makes them.
    I always thought the SS sound to be more becoming of the sporty euro cars. Where as the tinny sound wouldnt go very well with larger bore cars. But times have changed with Holden using SS systems on their V8's (double walled exhaust to get rid of that tinny sound).

    I still remember the exhaust note the Fiat 124S used to make.... ooooooh, *wipes drool off the floor*
    .
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

    EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40


  16. #16
    2000+ Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Update... So I took the car in today to get the exhaust replaced. The guy had one look at the cat. and said "you've got to be joking". The onlt place for the cat to be cut and welded (between the O2 and the start of the cat) is behind the cross member which doesn't leave any room to weld.

    We also found that the pipe between the cat and the resonator is 1 3/4, while the rest of the pipe back from the resonator is 2 1/4. It's going back in on Thursday to havethe system removed from the end of the headers, where there are the two sprung bolts, and replace the whole lot back to the Remus muffler with 2 1/4 basic tubing.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

  17. #17
    1000+ Posts tekkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Update... So I took the car in today to get the exhaust replaced. The guy had one look at the cat. and said "you've got to be joking". The onlt place for the cat to be cut and welded (between the O2 and the start of the cat) is behind the cross member which doesn't leave any room to weld.

    We also found that the pipe between the cat and the resonator is 1 3/4, while the rest of the pipe back from the resonator is 2 1/4. It's going back in on Thursday to havethe system removed from the end of the headers, where there are the two sprung bolts, and replace the whole lot back to the Remus muffler with 2 1/4 basic tubing.
    the GTI6 cat was sitting almost underneath the driver seat, well back. Im sure yourengine pipe could be extended back far enough as per the GTi6.

    Here is the pic of my system (as it used to be)
    GTI6 exhaust1
    GTI6 exhaust2
    GTI6 exhaust3
    Last edited by tekkie; 21st March 2004 at 09:50 AM.
    .
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

    EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40


  18. #18
    2000+ Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Picked it up at lunchtime. They had the old one sitting there... what a mess. It looked like it had been patch welded a dozen times and the pipe between the cat and resonator was only 1 3/4. They put in a V6 Commodor Cat and sports resonator with 2 1/2 between.

    Is there a difference???, substantially less resonance from under the car, sounds smoother accelerating and seems to be slightly more responsive on throttle in neutral. It seems to accelerate more smoothly and is much nicer up about 5,000rpm. I'm hesitant to say if there is more power because it could be placebo, but the engine sounds much happier up high. Bit smelly at the moment with the chemicals burning off the pipes but that should go away soon.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

  19. #19
    Member jumpin_pug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Picked it up at lunchtime. They had the old one sitting there... what a mess. It looked like it had been patch welded a dozen times and the pipe between the cat and resonator was only 1 3/4. They put in a V6 Commodor Cat and sports resonator with 2 1/2 between.

    Is there a difference???, substantially less resonance from under the car, sounds smoother accelerating and seems to be slightly more responsive on throttle in neutral. It seems to accelerate more smoothly and is much nicer up about 5,000rpm. I'm hesitant to say if there is more power because it could be placebo, but the engine sounds much happier up high. Bit smelly at the moment with the chemicals burning off the pipes but that should go away soon.
    Hi Brad,

    Just thought I'd check up to see how the exhuast is going? I'm very much due for the new system and think I'll probably adopt the same set-up as you provided yours is going well. A couple more questions for you though, what's the noise level like? I want to go back to basically no noise inside the cab unlike my current system which has high resonance. Secondly how did they connect the rear box to centre pipe? what i'm basically trying to say is how was the pipe coming off the sports resonator connected to the your remus muffler? cut and shut or was a proper connection made?

    Cheers.
    FOR SALE 1995 PEUGEOT 306S16

  20. #20
    2000+ Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    It noticably less noisy at idle from outside the car, and sounds smoother when driving, plus of course the rattle in the cat is now gone.

    I am pretty sure the pipe running back is welded onto the resonator and then clamped onto the remus rear box.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    270

    Default

    personally i would have only used a 2 inch pipe on your car just to keep more of the low-down power when city driving as i have experienced a 2 1/4 on another s16...

    then again yours sounds good 4 the money... obviously you didnt want to buy a performance cat, one from a v8 would have been even better, maybe you could have spent some money on a name brand resonator like Magnaflow, which do last alot longer than local Supercheap Auto ones... if it was one of them

    then again..... personally.... i'd put the pipe off the headers exiting straight out behind the left front wheel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 306, garrett GT25 turbo, 3" exhaust, microtech LT8 ECU, 16.7 psi, front mount cooler, Chris Milton race port&polish w/ 3 angle cut valves and redesigned combustion chamber, 186hp atw for now... injectors ran out of puff
    NOS COMING SOON!

  22. #22
    Member jumpin_pug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turbopeugeot306
    personally i would have only used a 2 inch pipe on your car just to keep more of the low-down power when city driving as i have experienced a 2 1/4 on another s16...

    then again yours sounds good 4 the money... obviously you didnt want to buy a performance cat, one from a v8 would have been even better, maybe you could have spent some money on a name brand resonator like Magnaflow, which do last alot longer than local Supercheap Auto ones... if it was one of them

    then again..... personally.... i'd put the pipe off the headers exiting straight out behind the left front wheel
    Turbopeugeot306, what is the set-up on your car (taking into account your Turbooooo) These magnaflow resonators you talk of, price? Also, would a V8 cat put out significantly more noise?

    Brad what was the end cost and how did they mount the new system, as in the mounts on the factory setup are quite specific, do you know if they modified the factory setup or used something else??? cheers
    FOR SALE 1995 PEUGEOT 306S16

  23. #23
    Member jumpin_pug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jumpin_pug
    Turbopeugeot306, what is the set-up on your car (taking into account your Turbooooo) These magnaflow resonators you talk of, price? Also, would a V8 cat put out significantly more noise?

    Brad what was the end cost and how did they mount the new system, as in the mounts on the factory setup are quite specific, do you know if they modified the factory setup or used something else??? cheers
    sorry, i have a few more questions,,, does anyone know what the factory setup was like on the s16, eg pipe sizes and were/are the parts peugeot factory or a specific brand? last question, does anyone know how much a factory rear box is?
    FOR SALE 1995 PEUGEOT 306S16

  24. #24
    2000+ Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    I was told it was over $600 to replace with OEM cat and resonator. I paid $285 for the cat, resonator, pipe betwen and fitting. They cut the system just after the end of the resonator, and then removed it from the car at the end of the extractors as it was impossible to cut the system off before the cat on the car. I don't think there are any mounts in the parts which were replaced.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    270

    Default

    for the cat, go to a wreckers and cut off one from a v8, if not you can normally get them from a factory v8 for around $290. they allow more gas through but dont increase noise.

    the magnaflow resonators are stainless steel packed and go from around $300, expensve but they will last alot longer than the cheap ones, sound nuts too.

    my exhaust is 3'' from my turbo to the rear muffler... only one muffler because the turbine cuts up the air making it more quiet.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 306, garrett GT25 turbo, 3" exhaust, microtech LT8 ECU, 16.7 psi, front mount cooler, Chris Milton race port&polish w/ 3 angle cut valves and redesigned combustion chamber, 186hp atw for now... injectors ran out of puff
    NOS COMING SOON!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •