What are possible brake swaps for a 306?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default What are possible brake swaps for a 306?

Does anyone know what brakes from other models/cars that are possible to fit to the front and back of a 306?

Advertisement

Are GTI brakes a straight fit to the drums on the rear of a Style?

What is the best way to use $1k to boost the stopping power of the pissy Style brakes? (remember drums on the back... )
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 306, garrett GT25 turbo, 3" exhaust, microtech LT8 ECU, 16.7 psi, front mount cooler, Chris Milton race port&polish w/ 3 angle cut valves and redesigned combustion chamber, 186hp atw for now... injectors ran out of puff
    NOS COMING SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by turbopeugeot306
    Does anyone know what brakes from other models/cars that are possible to fit to the front and back of a 306?

Are GTI brakes a straight fit to the drums on the rear of a Style?

What is the best way to use $1k to boost the stopping power of the pissy Style brakes? (remember drums on the back... )
    What model style is it? N3, N5, 3 door?. Just asking as my 3 door N5 style has discs front and rear with no shortage of stopping power, maybe fitting a set of these would be a simple solution (if they are a straight swap?). Have you done anything to the fronts?

Fellow Frogger!

3dr N5 style (used to be auto)
    I was looking for a little more than standard 306 brakes,

gti or s16 minimum
    Peugeot 306, garrett GT25 turbo, 3" exhaust, microtech LT8 ECU, 16.7 psi, front mount cooler, Chris Milton race port&polish w/ 3 angle cut valves and redesigned combustion chamber, 186hp atw for now... injectors ran out of puff
    NOS COMING SOON!

Mazda RX7 series 5 4-piston calipers fit under 15" rims, possibly 14" and are pretty cheap from a wrecker. They need engineering to fit.

Not completely sure whether or not they'd fit, but i'm pretty certain they would, but I've got a set of front struts from an Mi16, with Alliquant shock absorbers and the Girling brake caliper setup. Needs a new pair of discs on them, but you can buy slotted and crossdrilled rotors from EAI for about $230 a pair i think i paid for the ones on mine. Assuming the struts would fit, they'd also lower your car slightly, improve handling, and the girlings will make it stop on a twenty cent piece!!

If someone on here can confirm that they'd fit in, you're welcome to make me an offer on them.

Cheers
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

turbopeugeot306,

good to hear you're looking at uprating your brakes!

if you get some reasonable discs on the back and front, i reckon you'd have a much better chance at getting through regency. that is if that's your intentions - it should be... it's not that hard... and it sounds like you've got money to throw around...

(when i had my roadworthiness inspection, they spent 5 minutes under the bonnet (mi16 swap) and over 45 minutes checking the brakes!!!!!!)

[p.s. if you ever plan to, you won't be able to sell your car (private or to a dealer) without a regency approval certificate in your glovebox. no one will buy that car from you without asking "can i see the road worthiness certificate please". because they know they won't be able to get insurance legally. this is EXACTLY why i got my car approved - I *might* want to sell it one day ]

turbopeugeot306,

the cheapest option would have to be some very high quality brake pads for your existing system. (we are talking $200+ / set). Ferodo 2000 or 2500, Pagid RS10 or RS14 etc are the types of brands Im talking about.

As an alternative S16 or GTi6 struts with hubs, discs, assemblies etc would be a great addition but the splines in your half axels may not match up (confirmation anyone?).

Alternative #2. Are the 306 Style brakes the same as the 205GTi? If so there is a step by step conversion someone has already done upto the GTi6 spec rotors/calipers. If interested I will see if I can dig up the link somewhere. Maybe it can be done to your car.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Fellow Frogger!

Cheers tekkie, if you can find the link it would be great

Anyone! does anyone know what fits on what?

Demannu, if you can find out if they fit im pretty sure i'll snap up your pair, what brakes are they (?pot)

How much are you asking, any reasonable price and i'll take 'em off your hands almost immediately
    NOS COMING SOON!

main page is at www.205gti.com

if you go through the menus on the left side you will get to brake conversion bit. There is more info on 205's and technical details so the main site is worth the visit.

or here is the direct link
    http://www.205gti.com/techbrakeconvUK.htm

*EDIT*
    I have reread the page again, its an awesome writeup for anyone contemplating brake upgrade for the 205 (and maybe 306's). Very easy to follow (except the bit that changes into dutch half way down). It may seem that the discs "may" fit over the existing hubs. If they do your home free. Just follow the rest of the upgarde as per the article.
    the master cylinder conversion you would need to do as well. The larger pistons on the GTi6 brakes will cause your brake pedal to dissapear down towards the firewall. You then have a choice of getting your exisiting MC rebored to new larger diameter or upgrading directly to a larger MC as per the article.

PS. I have a set of GTi6 rotors with some resin residue from the EBC's, the warped feel. I should be able to get you the dimensions of the mounting holes if you need them.
    Last edited by tekkie; 19th March 2004 at 07:11 PM.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Fellow Frogger!

if you can find out if the GTI's fit straight on my hubs it would be great

doesnt anyone know if GTI's fit to a Style?

Im thinking of only spending money on the front brakes, maybe leaving drums on the back w/ something like 4pots on the front.... wise idea?

What are my options if i had $1200 to spend?

oh, finally, what would be the hardest problem (or all problems) with getting mazda rx7 brakes (calipers, disks etc.) and tried to make them fit?
    NOS COMING SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by turbopeugeot306
    what would be the hardest problem (or all problems) with getting mazda rx7 brakes (calipers, disks etc.) and tried to make them fit?
    I have a friend who is currently fitting volvo 4 pot calipers and discs to his gemini. The volvo calipers are heavy because they're iron but mazda or skyline calipers are much lighter alloy so won't increase your unsprung mass as much or at all relative to the peugeot calipers.
    He has retained the original bracket that holds the caliper to the upright but the holes to attach the volvo calipers don't match up so he has drilled and tapped the bracket to suit. He then machined the bracket down to align the caliper and the disc. The bolts retaining the caliper to the bracket can either be retained by lockwire, which may weaken the bolts, or by placing a thin steel spacer (1.6mm) between the bolt and the caliper. The ends of the spacer are then bent back over and pressed against the bolts to retain them.
    He expects an engineer to sign the conversion off. It's actually a ridiculously simple task.

Fellow Frogger!

best reply ever!

so how much for an engineer to sign something like that off... i might start to ask some if they'll sign my engine ( just in case)

anyone know prices on rx7 s5 calipers... ?
    NOS COMING SOON!

Tadpole

Have a look on ebay as I picked mine up a while back and a pair of RX7's went for $210 last week.
    Seal kit for above (recommended if used) is $33 - $50 depending on who you ring.
    Enquired at a wrecking yard here in Adelaide and was quoted $600 for a pair
    Standard GTi-6 rotors from DBA (DBA275) $124.25 and I was told approx +$100ea for slotted.

Cheers

Paul

Thread Information