Building a 16 coupe
  • Register
  • Help

Default Building a 16 coupe

Hello froggies,

I am seriously considering converting a 16 into a coupe.

The 16TL I have, is very rusty behind the passenger side on the floor, although the rust is only on the floorpan.

So if I was to start chopping up cars, I was just looking at the lines of a 16 front vs a 10 or 8 rear end. The rear end from even a 10 or an 8 is quite different, and would require quite a bit of modification, but it "looks" like the overall dimentions seem right.

even the rear window on the coupe looks slightly different to the one on the 16s hatch.

I guess the other issue would be keeping it (original) to what it would have been maybe difficult, engine wise. Unless the roadworthy guy doesnt notice its a 2 door! I am guessing complying to EPA may be difficult.

Anyone have any views / ideas on such a project?

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a 16 coupe-r16coupe.jpg   Building a 16 coupe-korten09.jpg  
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    Hello froggies,

So if I was to start chopping up cars, I was just looking at the lines of a 16 front vs a 10 or 8 rear end. The rear end from even a 10 or an 8 is quite different, and would require quite a bit of modification, but it "looks" like the overall dimentions seem right.

even the rear window on the coupe looks slightly different to the one on the 16s hatch.
    Just for a compare:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a 16 coupe-backside.jpg   Building a 16 coupe-renault-top-apple.jpg  
    Last edited by vivid; 15th March 2004 at 12:38 AM.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

This is going to be one huge project. Just think of what you need to do here. The front end panels are the same or similar. But, except for the floorpan, you would have to custom make and replace all the metalwork behind the A pillar or, if you can get away with using the existing from doors, everything behind the B pillar. This would include shortening or replacing the roof which is structual.
    The R8 or R10 back end would be harder to fit the it would be to make panels from scratch. They would be shorter, narrower, and probably have pressings in them where you don't want them.

You would certainly have one unique vehicle at the end of the job but it would be a huge task to get there and to have one that is driveable.

Good luck
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    You would certainly have one unique vehicle at the end of the job but it would be a huge task to get there and to have one that is driveable.
    I agree, it would be a massive job.

It would be something I'd be spending years on, as I wouldn't ever have all the money at one time to do it all at once.

I guess if the dimentions of an 8 or 10 are completely different, I should first try and work out what parts I should be looking for.

I wonder if any of the car designers, or renault have chassis diagrams etc.

David.