Brakes GTi6
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Brakes GTi6

Default Brakes GTi6

My 6 has a definate shudder when braking. It appears worse when braking from 100klm+. Has anyone encountered this or am I just s*it out of luck.
    If a rotor is warped can anyone suggest a good repairer in the southern Sydney area. Alternatively does anyone know the approx price and where to get aftermarket rotors?
    Thank's.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    My 6 has a definate shudder when braking. It appears worse when braking from 100klm+. Has anyone encountered this or am I just s*it out of luck.
    If a rotor is warped can anyone suggest a good repairer in the southern Sydney area. Alternatively does anyone know the approx price and where to get aftermarket rotors?
    Thank's.
    i'm not sure about gti6 discs (rotors as you call them) but Peugeot genuine 205 GTI discs are only $200 a pair - that's $100 each. you won't beat that with aftermarket...

go speak to peugeot first about genuine gti6 replacements- alot less time consuming than researching the aftermarket...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

try this link here
    brad put some effort into this not so long ago

306 Brake Upgrade Thread
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Ok, thanks guy's the info is very helpful. I will make some calls and see where it leads me.

Cookie, what pads are you using?

The warping can happen when you fang the car for a while and stop it and sit on the brakes while they are cooling, or when you have hot brakes and go though the water. The latter rarely happens.

The thinner the brake pad material more often the warping effect is prone to happen. Also.... some brake pads exibit greater resin transfer onto the rotor to others.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Hi Tekkie,
    I dont know what pads they are as they were on the car when I got it. I am assuming they are standard.
    What you said about thin pads makes sense as the pad wear warning light has been on for about 2 weeks. Hopefully this could be the cause of the shuddering.
    Can you suggest a good replacement pad and where to get them? I am toying with the idea of aftermarket slotted rotors. I don't do any track work so maybe this is overkill. Any advice is appreciated.

Cookie, please follow the link that pugrambo posted. All your questions and answers will be in there. if you have any different questions, post it in that thread as it's a good thread to keep for brake upgrades on the 306.

Any mechanic will be able to tell if your rotors are warped. If they are, then look into the DBAs which are awesome value compared to OEM. You will need to bed these rotors in (see the above thread) so use the OEM pads initially.

If your rotors are fine, I'd still recommend sticking to OEM, as pads like Greenstuff are way too abrasive on the OEM rotor.

Thread Information