thanks peter t
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: thanks peter t

Icon14 thanks peter t

finally got my exhaust fixed on tuesday.

for the last month or so, shes been running and sounding like a tractor, cat had fallen apart from the inside out. On Peters advice i went and saw parramatta exhaust centre, who installed a new commondoor cat, new resonator and back box, all linked with very neatly bent 2.25 piping. Looks very nice and neat, nice little chrome tip is just visible under the rear skirt, and sounds awesome. Not loud, just smoother and solider sounding.

My only worry now is whether my timing is out or not.

I was hoping that my cars lack of power and urge was due to the cats insides plugging up my exhaust, and it seems that this was partly the case. now that the exhaus is fixed, it still doesnt seem to have quite the oomph it should have, and is not quite as free-revving as she should be. My worry is that the mechanic who replaced my timing belt didnt get the timing quite right, or the tension and the belt has since slipped a cog.

can anyone suggest ways of finding this out (obviously without pulling off the timing cover).

Advertisement

does anyone in sydney with an mi16 wanna show me how theres goes, just so i can see if mine is lacking or not??

im not suggesting a race, i just wanna now what the car "should" feel like, cos its been a month or 2 since its been running right...

anyone??
    1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver
    there are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots..

Your welcome to drive mine. 1993 Mi16 and Im at summer hill.

My car is a dog with the air-con on, without its ok. Not even close to a 205 in regards to responsiveness.

Cheers
    PA
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

cheers Parry,

but yours is the 2 litre isnt it? Oh well, either way, maybe if i swing by tonight sometime(?) i could take you for a spin, or you could take it for a burl and give me your prognosis??

I will be eating dinner just around the corner from your place tonight, so that would be perfect for me if its ok by you?
    1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver

Im not living at home at the moment, I will be there on Saturday during the day.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

he he . you get kicked out?

ok. saturday morning sometime ok? about 9.30-10ish sound ok?
    1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver

Can I ask what it cost you for the exhaust? A breakup would be good too as I will be replacing the cat and front muffler soon and might just get it done all the way back to the rear remus box.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

um yeah ok....

cat was $450 alone! - comondore high-flow quality cat, which can apparently be opened up in order to clean out or re-pack if the same problem occurs again.

Because there is a flange on the end of the manifold, they decided to flange the exit of the cat aswell, so if its ever necessary the cat can be unbolted and dropped-out. then theres another flange connecting to the resonator, then piping to the backbox, which is about 500mm long and 150 in dia, straight through (thanks again to peter t, they ordered 2 of these last time you had one installed and still had it sitting around! apparently theyll never be able to find this muffler again!) and then the nice little chrome tip

other exhaust parts came to about $300.

so the full lot was just under a grand!

it hurt.

a lot.

1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver

Was that the first time i've heard someone say commodore and quality in the same sentance??

deja vu.

i've just had the exact same thing happen with my 205 Mi16 this week. sounds like someone rattling a huge spray can at the traffic lights. at least the car goes bloody hard still

catalytic converters only last between 50,000 to 100,000 miles and low and behold my car (not engine) just turned 160,000km - so spot on.

the problem with the 205 is the cat is integrated into the downpipe so it's gotta be cut out and rewelded or as i have chosen to do, cut it out, poke it out by myself and have it rewelded in

[ turbopeugeot306 - the only thing i paid for in my conversion (aside from parts) was welding because i am honest enough to say it's the only thing i cannot do myself - quality MIG welding! might cost me $50 at exhaust technology to get Marky to make it look factory - which is important for the police officers. funny thing is, the car passed emission tests at regency with a f*cked cat converter! That's how clean the 1.9L Mi16 motor is!!! ]

peugeot want $1800 for a new downpipe + CAT.
    Last edited by 205 GTI 16V; 11th March 2004 at 03:36 PM.

205 tell us about your cam man... have u got any nice bits in it?? Did u use a BX16v or one from an Mi16 and how did u find the conversion (hardest thing)??

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    205 tell us about your cam man... have u got any nice bits in it?? Did u use a BX16v or one from an Mi16 and how did u find the conversion (hardest thing)??
    tell you about my caR man?

i took lotsa photos during the entire build - they are very good photos and might end up on a web page soon with all problems encountered and photo solutions.

there's a few tricks i haven't seen anyone else pull off yet and i'm proudly keeping them under wraps. being an engineer helps alot with coming up with new ideas.

ok. got the motor from bx16v. easier to find than mi16 motor and there is NO DIFFERENCE. it's an xu9j4z, not an xu9j4. difference about 10bhp less than UK/French spec motor. no big deal - i used the standard 205 gti xu9jaz motor loom to run the motor - i only had to add 3 wires (5 conductors total) and for those out there who actually know what they're on about, you should be able to figure out what these wires do! no-one else (to the best of my knowledge anywhere in the world) has done the conversion using the original 205 loom YET retained the Motronic 1.3 injection that the late 205 and all-aussie xu9j4z Mi16s used. very professional result as no need for soldering (which should NOT be used in automotive wiring - ever!) or even splicing or joining - i just threaded the full lengths of wire straight from an mi16 loom down the 205 loom tube.

easiest thing? wiring.

hardest thing? fitting the radiator. you need to use a 1300.K5 Peugeot radiator - there were 2 types of radiator fitted to the 205 and the later ones do not tilt forward (too wide to clear the narrowing gap between headlights). radiator is tilted forward (wait for it) 2 inches which is a whole inch more than most people go. as you know, the engine bucks around (even with a 90 degree rotated lower engine mount) under heavy-right-foot and down-shifts so i wasn't comfortable with 1 inch of clearance - radiator got touched by plenum chamber.

engine is NOT tilted - exhaust manifold was cut *nearly* all the way through the pipes from the underside, lightly bend downwards and welded up by Marky at Exhaust Technology - $50 worth of quality MIG welding - very professional look.

oh yeah, people who cut and weld the inlet runners to make it all fit and retain air-con are d1ckheads. if only they realised the mathematics behind those runner lengths - they are finely tuned. it's physics people - and you learn all about it at university...

any questions?
    Last edited by 205 GTI 16V; 11th March 2004 at 04:34 PM.

How long do we have 2 wait 4 the pics?

R u in Melbourne?

How long do we have 2 wait 4 the pics?

R u in Melbourne?
    pics are low priority - i have a life too...

but it's in my interest to show them to you all... i want my deserved 205 - GOD status

i'm in adelaide - along with that daddy's rice-child of whom i don't need to name...
    Last edited by 205 GTI 16V; 11th March 2004 at 04:56 PM.

Dude get over it they've been doing them where i'm from for more than 10 years... apart from that enjoy u're ride.

Dude get over it they've been doing them where i'm from for more than 10 years... apart from that enjoy u're ride.

i understand man totally.

i'm just proud of the quality of my handywork and so so so much i have learnt about mechanicals/electricals of x05 and related peugeots - as an engineer working in cars, i'm a thorough, picky bastard. every single part in my car is made by peugeot and the entire conversion is 100% reversable - nothing from the original car was drilled, wires-cut or altered. i'm especially proud of my (peugeot's intended) wiring. i really think i nailed it unlike everyone else, who for the last 10 years, has spliced Mi16 looms into 205 looms and made a right mess of a beautiful, rare car...

i've already mentioned my car is fully road approved unlike 99% of modified cars on the road.

the 205 is the king of GTIs. volkswagen may have invented the term 'GTI' but Peugeot showed the Germans a thing or two in the 80s. i don't even have to mention 205 Turbo 16 do i?! French arrogance - gotta love it. I'm half French, half German so go figure.

in adelaide, i am the only person with such a 205.

i hear melbourne, sydney and queensland are quite different.

i'm hearing ya buddy.

photos and my teachings may be coming to a website near you soon. keen to show everyone how to master an mi16 conversion. god bless the guys with the balls to do it all those years ago in UK and France.
    Last edited by 205 GTI 16V; 11th March 2004 at 05:15 PM.

Anyway getting back 2 the topic I think we should all thank Peter Taylor for all the questions we've all asked (i know i've asked a few) and the golden information he gives to the forum.

We can't show his face in the forum so we're gonna show u the back of his head instead.....

(Peter insert foto here)

Is this PeterT just another knowledgeful, mechanically/electrically experienced guy like you and me or is he like a god or spirit or something?

He's not like Dr Claw is he?

I like the "we can't show his face" angle. Clever

Quote Originally Posted by 205 GTI 16V
    tell you about my caR man?

- i used the standard 205 gti xu9jaz motor loom to run the motor - i only had to add 3 wires (5 conductors total) and for those out there who actually know what they're on about, you should be able to figure out what these wires do!

any questions?
    Idle Motor and Knock Sensor. Excellent work. I've been saying this for a while. I didn't think anyone was listening!

Guys I'm no guru. I'm a mechanical engineer/school teacher/IT manager with an interest in Pugs (and Cits.). I'm happy to help out and share knowledge, but if this forum is going to turn into slander and gossip, I won't be in the future.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Idle Motor and Knock Sensor. Excellent work. I've been saying this for a while. I didn't think anyone was listening!

Guys I'm no guru. I'm a mechanical engineer/school teacher/IT manager with an interest in Pugs (and Cits.). I'm happy to help out and share knowledge, but if this forum is going to turn into slander and gossip, I won't be in the future.
    Well done PeterT. Everyone, this guy is good!

I came up with the idea all by myself (didn't realise someone else (you) figured it out too) having too-closely studied 205 and 405 Haynes wiring diagrams (which are really good can I say!).

Quote Originally Posted by mi16_weapon
    (thanks again to peter t, they ordered 2 of these last time you had one installed and still had it sitting around! apparently theyll never be able to find this muffler again!)
    Grrrrr.... I called that place about 2 months ago on Peter T's advice, and told them I'd like a similar thing to what he'd had done. I told him I had the details. He said "Don't worry, I have a record, I'll look it up and get back to you with a quote." He never did, and now that muffler's gone!

Weapon, you can drive my (s1) car any time, although you'll have to wait about 2 weeks, until I get my clutch done (it started slipping a couple days ago, so can't be driven hard). I wouldn't mind a quick drive of yours sometime if the courtest extends that far. I live in Balmain.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Don't b modest Peter... u're a bloody guru.

Don't b modest Peter... u're a bloody guru.
    /god/spirit...

james,

that sucks man, how much is a clutch gonna cost you??

Be happy to have a swapsies day and compare notes.. maybe i should get off my arse and get myself to the next dinner/drive/organised froggy outing.

as for 205mi16s, i still think its criminal to scrap such a beautiful car as an mi16 (or even a bx16v, both of which are becoming all too rare), rip its guts out and throw away that beautiful, sensual, sexy body!

oh well.

just gotta make sure some of them survive i guess.
    1992 mi16
    Toyota aware driver

Quote Originally Posted by mi16_weapon
    as for 205mi16s, i still think its criminal to scrap such a beautiful car as an mi16 (or even a bx16v, both of which are becoming all too rare), rip its guts out and throw away that beautiful, sensual, sexy body!

just gotta make sure some of them survive i guess.
    you show a little ignorance with that comment. my bx16v motor came from a write-off. i would never buy a perfectly good car and make it a wreck by taking the motor from it.

U know what would impress me??

Getting a nice 405 Mi16 and making it a 2 door coupe like Ari Vatenen's pikes peak model.

with Stevie Wonder driving it!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information