MaxJax hoist
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: MaxJax hoist

Fellow Frogger!

Default MaxJax hoist

Due to creeping arthritis, some time ago I decided to invest in a hoist for the "industrial complex". In the area where I wanted to situate the hoist I was restricted on headroom and after a study of what 2 post hoists were available I decided to go with a MaxJax unit. This is a American designed hoist but is, of course, manufactured in China (isn't everything?).
    Info on this hoist can be found at MaxJax Car Lift | Levanta Online Store
    I installed it a while ago but didn't get around to commissioning it until today. It appears to work well, and the build quality, although not stellar, is OK.
    Here's a shot of it in action.
    roger
    MaxJax hoist-maxjack_1.jpg

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That's an interesting setup. I"m not sure if I'd trust it in my shed, without a crossbar between the two sides, I'd be relying on my concrete slab (that I don't trust to be strong enough). If you know you have a nice re-enforced slab, that would be a brilliant idea. Does it have mechanical locks so you can leave a car up high and park a 2nd beneath

seeya,
    Shane l.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    That's an interesting setup. I"m not sure if I'd trust it in my shed, without a crossbar between the two sides, I'd be relying on my concrete slab (that I don't trust to be strong enough). If you know you have a nice re-enforced slab, that would be a brilliant idea. Does it have mechanical locks so you can leave a car up high and park a 2nd beneath

seeya,
    Shane l.
    What car were you thinking of thats 1100mm high??

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

Jo
    Um ....

Oh I get it ... To park beneath it Maybe an A110
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

Jo
    Ford GT43?
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Thanks for the info, Roger, I didn't know about them.

I understand that compromised headroom forced compromised lift height. If you had the headroom, would you have installed a hoist with full lift height? And how do you find the lift height of your new hoist?

Thanks,
    Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Thanks for the info, Roger, I didn't know about them.

I understand that compromised headroom forced compromised lift height. If you had the headroom, would you have installed a hoist with full lift height? And how do you find the lift height of your new hoist?

Thanks,
    Roger
    Yes, if I had had the headroom then I would have installed a full height 2 post. Actually, in the spot where I have installed it there is plenty of headroom but I want to move it later to an area where the headroom is limited. Moving it is simple - you just drill another set of holes in the slab.
    I'm finding the lift height OK, but I think I will have to invest in a mechanic's stool for working under the car. At full height my eye level is just above the top of the tyres.
    roger

How nifty is this one ..... way limited in the fact that you can't access the wheels and suspension though.

'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I've not seen this style of hoist before, pretty neat

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Used a lot at tyre service centres, Bob Jane etc. I call them a 'Belly Jack', probably have a trade name. OK if the lifting points are in good condition, the contact pads suit and you don't require some weird arse adaptor that costs extra $ to get. Can cause damage to cars that have a weak floor pan or 'dangly' bits. The one shown is actually a pretty fair bit of kit as it has rubber jacking/contact points. For me I'd go with a four post hoist and individual air bag jacks or separate hydraulic wheel lifters. Over the journey I reckon I've used just about every different type and combination. The four poster wins for me just because it is fool proof, idiots are way too creative with any other means of car hoisting! Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    Used a lot at tyre service centres, Bob Jane etc. I call them a 'Belly Jack', probably have a trade name. OK if the lifting points are in good condition, the contact pads suit and you don't require some weird arse adaptor that costs extra $ to get. Can cause damage to cars that have a weak floor pan or 'dangly' bits. The one shown is actually a pretty fair bit of kit as it has rubber jacking/contact points. For me I'd go with a four post hoist and individual air bag jacks or separate hydraulic wheel lifters. Over the journey I reckon I've used just about every different type and combination. The four poster wins for me just because it is fool proof, idiots are way too creative with any other means of car hoisting! Brendan.
    Thanks Brendan, I need to get out more, I just noticed our local independent service station uses something similar, but in it's collapsed state it sits about 100 - 150mm above ground level. The one pictured above looks like it would retract fully and leave a level space.

I guess a big disadvantage is that the slab would have to be prepared to accommodate the hoist so not an easy retrofit.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

pinacle wholesales in ballarat appear to be selling hoists now .... they don't look half bad either!

Electric 4 5TON 2 Post Base Plate Clear Span CAR Hoist Aust Work Cover Certified | eBay

plenty of capacity in reserve. I wouldn't trust my shed floor with a 2post hoist sadly.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

pinacle wholesales in ballarat appear to be selling hoists now .... they don't look half bad either!

Electric 4 5TON 2 Post Base Plate Clear Span CAR Hoist Aust Work Cover Certified | eBay

plenty of capacity in reserve. I wouldn't trust my shed floor with a 2post hoist sadly.
    Looks nice. They have two measurements of total height though, one saying 3.2 m and the other 2.8 m. Better go and measure the garage roof height yet again.

Thanks Shane.

(Bugger. 2.6 m)
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

Citroën CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post

Cheers
    Chris
    I could actually fit that into the garage. Not enough height for any of the vertical post devices. Must go hunting when I have enough merit points...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Looks nice. They have two measurements of total height though, one saying 3.2 m and the other 2.8 m. Better go and measure the garage roof height yet again.

Thanks Shane.

(Bugger. 2.6 m)
    Thats no issue ... just don't use the last 20cm of it's lift capacity. You'd be fine with your cars, just don't lift a "Lifted" 4wd to full height My shed is too low ... And would trust the slab for a 2poster. My fathers shed has a really good strong slab and heaps of height (3.6meter walls from memory).

seeya,
    Shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Cheers
    Chris
    i'd be seriously p!$$ed if someone lifted my D's like that. Those things are only good from cars with a separate chassis (as they can lift from the rails). A DS/CX isn't designed to be lifted from the floors/sills. I don't see those lifts as much good for any modern car (unless your into wank tanks with separate chassis).

seeya,
    Shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Keep out of tyre shops then. You put a rubber block under the lift points, whether on the sill, or further inland as per some older vehicles (Rovers for example, which also had detachable body work)

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Keep out of tyre shops then. You put a rubber block under the lift points, whether on the sill, or further inland as per some older vehicles (Rovers for example, which also had detachable body work)
    He had a belly hoist at the tyre shop I was at two weeks back. I asked him did he want me too park the poogoe on it for him .... "No that things useless, no modern cars have the lift points for it... I use a trolley jack on nearly everything".

The DS is being lifted by either the plastic sill covers or the floors...... which is really not nice. The only lifting point on a DS is a "knob" welded to the side of the outer sill. everywhere else crushes if you put a jack under it. There is a "frame" type spot behind the front wheels. It'll collapse if there rust behind it though. water runs down the 'A' pillar and can rust the inner sills from behind it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

UFO

Not unlike the junior at a western Sydney tyre place who when fitting the new XVSs a few years ago was about to shove the trolley jack under the boot floor!

Got slightly miffed when I showed him to to lift a D properly.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Not unlike the junior at a western Sydney tyre place who when fitting the new XVSs a few years ago was about to shove the trolley jack under the boot floor!

Got slightly miffed when I showed him to to lift a D properly.
    After my last effort with the R16TS, where the guy wanted to lift it by the cross member behind the engine, or somewhere like that (strictly forbidden), and we had a huge argument. "I've been doing this for years mate and know what I'm doing". I just take the wheels these days. It's all too hard and stressful.

Cheers
    Last edited by JohnW; 6th January 2015 at 10:05 PM.
    Wildebeest likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Cheers
    Chris
    I have the same hoist in my shed , sold by Power Rex in NSW. called a sissor lift.
    It has a huge amount of verticial travel to allow for being buried 200mm in the slab as showen in the photo.
    Mine sits on top of an exsisting slab and has steel ramps to drive over the hoist. Would have preferred to recess it into the floor , but am not digging up the floor just for that little convience.
    It is a really great hoist , have used it for all my cars with no problems ( see below ), just need some comman sense when putting different cars on it .
    I have a few hardwood timbers that I sometimes have put accross the hoist ramps (perpendicular to the car ) used mostly for my 4WD that has its chassis rails close together , they are inside the edges of the two ramps. I have never damaged any car on my hoist ( except Mudpugs boot lid , he left it open without telling me!! )
    Set up with a height limit switch to suit my rally car , stops where I can just walk under the sump guard without hitting my head.
    Best feature is the post free layout , you cant ding a door if there is no post to ding it on , also freedom of parking multiple cars anywhere you like.
    I have worked in many dealership service centers over the years and would rate a sissor lift as the best hoist to have if you only have one hoist.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    I have the same hoist in my shed , sold by Power Rex in NSW. called a sissor lift.
    It has a huge amount of verticial travel to allow for being buried 200mm in the slab as showen in the photo.
    Mine sits on top of an exsisting slab and has steel ramps to drive over the hoist. Would have preferred to recess it into the floor , but am not digging up the floor just for that little convience.
    It is a really great hoist , have used it for all my cars with no problems ( see below ), just need some comman sense when putting different cars on it .
    I have a few hardwood timbers that I sometimes have put accross the hoist ramps (perpendicular to the car ) used mostly for my 4WD that has its chassis rails close together , they are inside the edges of the two ramps. I have never damaged any car on my hoist ( except Mudpugs boot lid , he left it open without telling me!! )
    Set up with a height limit switch to suit my rally car , stops where I can just walk under the sump guard without hitting my head.
    Best feature is the post free layout , you cant ding a door if there is no post to ding it on , also freedom of parking multiple cars anywhere you like.
    I have worked in many dealership service centers over the years and would rate a sissor lift as the best hoist to have if you only have one hoist.
    I'm sure there a great thing .... but how do you use them on a car without lifting points down the sills ....
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Icon3

I'm sure there a great thing .... but how do you use them on a car without lifting points down the sills ....
    Looks like in the case of the DS in the pic there are large rubber blocks sitting just behind the front jacking point keeping the sill free, not a lot of weight in the rear and that is being distributed evenly - but another lower block under the centre jacking points would help.

If the car is too rusty to use that lift I can't see a 4 poster being any better

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Looks like in the case of the DS in the pic there are large rubber blocks sitting just behind the front jacking point keeping the sill free, not a lot of weight in the rear and that is being distributed evenly - but another lower block under the centre jacking points would help.

If the car is too rusty to use that lift I can't see a 4 poster being any better

Cheers
    Chris
    Do you think the area labelled 'heavy metal plate' could be used? the jacking point is up above the sills, the scissor lift can't get too it
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    Due to creeping arthritis, some time ago I decided to invest in a hoist for the "industrial complex". In the area where I wanted to situate the hoist I was restricted on headroom and after a study of what 2 post hoists were available I decided to go with a MaxJax unit. This is a American designed hoist but is, of course, manufactured in China (isn't everything?).
    Info on this hoist can be found at MaxJax Car Lift | Levanta Online Store
    I installed it a while ago but didn't get around to commissioning it until today. It appears to work well, and the build quality, although not stellar, is OK.
    Here's a shot of it in action.
    roger
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxjack_1.jpg 
Views:	1596 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	45906
    No need to respond - found what I was looking for. Interesting.

What is the exact model number please, and how high are the posts? Looks good.

Thanks and regards
    Last edited by JohnW; 7th January 2015 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Found what I needed soon after posting!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information