205 gti6 loom, would you be happy with this?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 gti6 loom, would you be happy with this?

recently i bought a remanufactured gti6 205 loom from the uk but im a liitle dissapointed in the quality of the product. should i replace the broken connectors or just leave it as is and hope it works fine? when i removed it from the box which was in good condition, i immediately noticed the main ecu plug had some cracking around the elbow part so i looked further and found 2 or 3 other plugs that were broken, one being the CAS plug

today upon further inspection i found more plugs that were broken. it was done on a exchange basis i sent my bits there and it is spose to come back plug and play, fully labelled with any broken plugs replaced. its not labelled and plugs are broken. am i being fussy or have i been given back a piece of crap? i also had a ecu unlocked. it was apparently done using software so will never lock again so assumed it would not need to be opened?

all the items i sent where in very good order and came from a car i knew. the items that came back look completely different and im guessing there not the same items, ecu is definatley not mine. the ecu has been put back together with silicone and i could still smell the silicone when i removed it from the box, plus the case is pretty average looking i paid good money for the bits back in early janurary and only just recieved the item a few days ago after a few friendly where is my item emails.

Advertisement

it may well work all fine, but the overall quality has me worried especially the broken plugs. if it was one or even two plugs i would have got over it, fixed it and thru it together, but as mentioned its pretty average overall and has put doubt in my mind if its even worth fitting?

im trying to build my car to a reasonable quality so dont want to degrade it with fitting a dud loom! i have spoke to a few local auto elecs about fixing it up and they dont seem that keen to do it. its hard to find decent services when you mention what it is and what it came from. if i put it in and it doesnt work after they repair it, i will never know if it was any good to start with. however if i put it in and it does work id be concern of its reliability and probley want to have it fixed up anyway

i spose my options are

1. fit and see? (i know i want be happy with the broken stuff even if it works and will need to fix it later)
    2. find someone to repair it who cares, fit it and see
    3. give up once again stay in 8v land and sell the lot!

some of the plugs i can probley fix myself but electrical stuff has never been my strong side so would prefer someone better to fix it. that was the reason i bought this product in the first place. two of the minor broken plugs which are the injector plug and oil temp could still be used but im concerned about the knock sensor plug and the CAS plug as the shield is exposed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 gti6 loom, would you be happy with this?-20130304_180803.jpg   205 gti6 loom, would you be happy with this?-20130304_180849.jpg   205 gti6 loom, would you be happy with this?-20130307_191757.jpg   205 gti6 loom, would you be happy with this?-20130307_191900.jpg   205 gti6 loom, would you be happy with this?-20130307_192051.jpg   205 gti6 loom, would you be happy with this?-20130304_180647.jpg  

Last edited by djvu205; 7th March 2013 at 10:16 PM.
    sent from my shitty old laptop and dialup speed internet connection

Fellow Frogger!

Personally, after paying for the full service you described, I'd be furious. Fingers crossed it's a massive cock-up and the wrong one has been sent.

I wouldn't be happy with that at all! Get back in contact & tell them you'll return it as the workmanship is poor & you want one without any damage and fully labelled. Remind him you sent a loom in VGC & was expecting to receive one back in comparable condition.

Road car- Diablo 306 GTi6
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 172hp atw

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 28.77
    Phillip Island 1 59.3

Something to consider is that most uk/european looms of that age, the wiring will be pretty rotten causing all sorts of hard to diagnose problems. Where as your original loom would have been, in most likely pretty good condition.
    1993 Peugeot 205 Si
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16 Auto
    1990 Nissan S13 now with less Rb

its no cock up i have contacted the supplier and he put it down to damage during shipping and said i may be able to claim for damages. im not going to argue or make any claims as i just cant be bothered now. i asked nicely if i could have a refund or be compensated but he is not willing to come to the party. in the last 2-3 years of buying stuff locally and overseas this has been my worse experience so i guess im pretty lucky really. it cost around $700 for the loom and ecu by time i sent it and got it back nearly 2 months later.

i appreciate the feed back and others opinions as i thought i might have been being a bit fussy. i realise the looms are old and can be troublsome but never expected something back like this! i can probley manage to sort the wiring out, but labelling would of been nice since it was claimed to have it.

my main concern now is its going to cost me more money to fix it and i really doubt the quality so much so that im afraid it wont even work! anyway after sleeping on it for a few nights today with my day off i will go thru it and label it up and establish which plugs i need to replace then take it to an auto elec that might be interested in tidying it up a little and checking it over.

this stinks! what a ripoff! the supplier should be outed, here and on
    relevant Brit forums. and organize a few of the lads from his local
    boozer to go around with their bovver boots on and have a word...

I don't suppose it was purchased through eBay or paid for through PayPal? If it was, I would definitely be opening a dispute and presumably you would have a good shot at getting a refund on the basis that the goods were not as described. If it wasn't through eBay then I agree that trying to challenge a supplier on the other side of the world would be pretty tough.

-33.75 150.9 and a bit to the side, under the tree.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    If it wasn't through eBay then I agree that trying to challenge a supplier on the other side of the world would be pretty tough.
    G'day,
    the world is becoming smaller every day.

There is an English French car forum,

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/index.php

for what it is worth.
    regards

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    anything posted after 1700 is subject to subsequent denial

I'd offer to help to you repair it but you're a bit far away. The best course of action is to repair it. I've been buying this sleeving from the States in various sizes:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-BRAIDED-...8e2dbb&vxp=mtr

Finish off with some heatshrink as in the picture.

I've found EFI Hardware to be quite reasonable with their pricing compared to others, when it comes to Bosch 2 and 3 pin connectors. You can use "H-INJPB" for injectors, coolant sensors etc. The bulk price is cheaper.

The cam and cas sensor connectors is "H-TPSBC"
    http://www.efihardware.com/products/...Kits-and-Parts

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

thanks peter i rang efi hardware and spoke to a pretty helpfull fella the other day. the tps plugs are $10 each and i have dug out some good second hand bits and pieces, i was wondering about a good heat shrink product to hold it all together and repair the fragile bits, so thanks again for the links.

i probley could push for a refund as it was both ebay and pay pal but ive decided to just get over it and fix it. definately wont be buying stuff there again.
    Last edited by djvu205; 8th March 2013 at 06:33 PM.

on a slight more cheery note my other bits turned up today and made my day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 gti6 loom, would you be happy with this?-20130308_121512.jpg  

COL

Quote Originally Posted by djvu205 View Post
    recently i bought a remanufactured gti6 205 loom from the uk but im a liitle dissapointed in the quality of the product. should i replace the broken connectors or just leave it as is and hope it works fine? when i removed it from the box which was in good condition, i immediately noticed the main ecu plug had some cracking around the elbow part so i looked further and found 2 or 3 other plugs that were broken, one being the CAS plug

today upon further inspection i found more plugs that were broken. it was done on a exchange basis i sent my bits there and it is spose to come back plug and play, fully labelled with any broken plugs replaced. its not labelled and plugs are broken. am i being fussy or have i been given back a piece of crap? i also had a ecu unlocked. it was apparently done using software so will never lock again so assumed it would not need to be opened?

all the items i sent where in very good order and came from a car i knew. the items that came back look completely different and im guessing there not the same items, ecu is definatley not mine. the ecu has been put back together with silicone and i could still smell the silicone when i removed it from the box, plus the case is pretty average looking i paid good money for the bits back in early janurary and only just recieved the item a few days ago after a few friendly where is my item emails.

it may well work all fine, but the overall quality has me worried especially the broken plugs. if it was one or even two plugs i would have got over it, fixed it and thru it together, but as mentioned its pretty average overall and has put doubt in my mind if its even worth fitting?

im trying to build my car to a reasonable quality so dont want to degrade it with fitting a dud loom! i have spoke to a few local auto elecs about fixing it up and they dont seem that keen to do it. its hard to find decent services when you mention what it is and what it came from. if i put it in and it doesnt work after they repair it, i will never know if it was any good to start with. however if i put it in and it does work id be concern of its reliability and probley want to have it fixed up anyway

i spose my options are

1. fit and see? (i know i want be happy with the broken stuff even if it works and will need to fix it later)
    2. find someone to repair it who cares, fit it and see
    3. give up once again stay in 8v land and sell the lot!

some of the plugs i can probley fix myself but electrical stuff has never been my strong side so would prefer someone better to fix it. that was the reason i bought this product in the first place. two of the minor broken plugs which are the injector plug and oil temp could still be used but im concerned about the knock sensor plug and the CAS plug as the shield is exposed.
    It looks like they have just cleaned the loom, not much refurbishing gone on.

I have wiring looms here that are 35 years old that are in better condition.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

i think i know who you were going to buy the harness off...i bit the bullet, bought a 2nd hand one for 30 quid and did it myself, just found a home for all the connectors (going off the wiring diagram) cut off what i didnt need, wired up the live and earth to the harness, fuel pump, starter, switched live on the airbag?? and o2 sensor (as per 205gti drivers forum guide) and it fired up no drama. Connectors were all in good nick and no open circuits during my testing, only bad bit was a bit of oil under the 19 pin connectors wiring and that made my hands dirty..oh no!!
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Thread Information