Large oil leak out 504 oil breather - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Large oil leak out 504 oil breather

Yeah, you might be on to something pugwash.

Fixed a leaky external oil filter plate by installing a new gasket (o-ring). Now it's leaking from the previously dry timing case. Woe.

Advertisement

Hard to tell if it's the rocker cover leaking because it's very difficult to clean around there with the turbo in place, but will give it a try later.
    Peugeot 504 Intercooled T04 Turbo, Four Mikuni R1 carburettors, external waste gate, Microsquirt ignition, 5 speed.

Ok, so at the same time I fixed the o-ring on the leaky external oil filter plate, I installed this breather filter to the top of the oil filler (see picture). I then noticed the timing case leaking. Removed the filter and went for a drive with just a hose hanging off the filler and the leak has stopped!

Large oil leak out 504 oil breather-img_0962.jpg

So maybe it is crankcase pressure build-up causing these leaks and weeps?

Put my thumb over the dipstick hole and one over the oil filler hole with the hose off, and it seems to puff a little at idle, but doesn't get any worse when the engine is revved. I'm really not sure what is acceptable crankcase pressure, but it didn't blow my thumb off or anything when I blocked it, though I did get an oily thumb, lol.
    Peugeot 504 Intercooled T04 Turbo, Four Mikuni R1 carburettors, external waste gate, Microsquirt ignition, 5 speed.

I guess there is a reason they were designed to have negative crankcase pressure.

It's going to be a bit difficult to create one with a pressurized system. Maybe between the air filter and turbo will be a good vacuum source? Hopefully it'll help with leaks...

So what are my options for creating negative pressure?

1. Using the airflow between the air filter and turbo
    2. Using the airflow in the exhaust after the turbo
    3. Electric vacuum pump

I think a lot of these systems have a vacuum side and a fresh air vent side. From what I can tell - the only actual vent hole on my vehicle is the oil filler area, so if I put a vacuum on this, it's going to need somewhere else for fresh air to enter the system. Am I missing anything?

I feel like option 2 would be better for my application, as option 1 has the downside of getting oil vapors built up in the intake system. Option 3 would kind of be a last resort, due to cost and complexity.
    Last edited by callipygous; 5th November 2017 at 09:39 PM.

So nobody has any advice on ventilating the crankcase?

My 404 has heaps of oli sludge.
    I have only pcv valve pipeline fitted.
    I took off breather line and now I know why.
    Dip stick has white goo on it like a mini.
    I found out turbos vent into the car by on the top inlet before it's pressurised

Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information