Battle of Waterloo - Canberra
  • Register
  • Help
    DS

Default Battle of Waterloo - Canberra

I can't see this event noted anywhere on AF so I'll copy the event email I got.

Sunday 19 June, Battle of Waterloo.

Advertisement

Its on again. The annual Battle of Waterloo friendly confrontation between French and British cars to celebrate the anniversary of the historic battle. The venue is Patrick White Lawns next to the National Library in Parkes. Easy access from just over Commonwealth Avenue Bridge, turn left into King Edward Terrace and then left into Parkes Place. This venue has great views across Lake Burley Griffin and is highly visible to passing traffic.

Date is Sunday 19 June from 9am to 3pm. The event is again being sponsored by Shannons. Last year the event was attended by arecord 105 vehicles with the British side being the victors and winning a lot of the door prizes - bottles of "The Arrogant Frog". The great weather on the day helped to boost numbers.

All French and British car enthusiasts are welcome. Entry is free and coffee, drinks and food will be available. Door prizes will again be available courtesy of Shannons.

I'm going down. Anyone else coming from Sydney? It's usually well worth the drive and we need more french cars. Last year the British totally won on the numbers score.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Tadpole

Can anyone with a French car turn up for a few hours to help the numbers?

DS

Absolutely!

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Now, which car to take.....or both again seeing as the Mini Club will attend too...

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome to all comers from Sydney. The forecast looks OK - cloudy with max of 15 degrees.

Unfortunately, the event will not be free - we will be asking for a gold coin donation to meet some unexpected costs. We were forced at the last minute to do an irrigation mark out on Patrick White Lawns so that cars will know to miss the sprinkler system and any excessively wet areas. Apparently some other club previously did some damage and now other clubs have to ensure no damage is done by paying the price of a mark out. Nevertheless, should be a good day and hopefully as good as last year when a record 105 cars attended altho the Brits won the day with more cars.

Fellow Frogger!

the poms are already taking over were are the froggs????.....

What are the numbers?
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

Fellow Frogger!

It was a massacre just like the real battle - total 99 cars with 72 British and just 27 French. Nevertheless it was a great day weather wise, which seems to encourage the fans with British cars, and a lucky dozen won a bottle of the Arrogant Frog red as door prizes courtesy of Shannons who sponsored the event. Sadly, Damien Hawkes from Shannons was not able to attend due to a back problem and I know many missed the Pug BBQ. Nancy from Coffee's On Coffee Cart did a great job keeping us suppied with coffee and other drinks. Well done to everyone who participated on the day. Next year, we hope to have look a like Napoleons and Duke of Wellingtons to add some colour to the event.

UFO

Do you have a date for next year's event? I think I am right in saying that the publicity for this year was quite late and missed getting into the regular communication channels.

Glad it was a nice day though. We would have made a weekend away out of it but other things were already on the calendar.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Details of this year's event were advertised thru all relevant channels on 20 April - 2 months before the event. This included advice to Citroen clubs via Mike Neil of our club who is a Citroen enthusiast. Not sure when posted on aussiefrogs but it was around the same time on 20 April as advice to the Pug Club, the NSW and Victorian Renault Clubs, the British car clubs in the ACT, and other websites such as the ACT Council of Motor Clubs, Shannons and our website www.renaultcanberra.org.au.

The event is usually held on the Sunday closest to the anniversary of the Battle on 18 June 1815.

UFO

Fair enough - perhaps a glitch in the communications chain for our club - apologies.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

No problems. For those that may be interested, the 27 French cars comprised 9 Renaults, including my Alpine GTA, 11 Pugs and 7 Citroens. Of the 72 British cars, the MGs were the largest group with 15, followed by the Morris/Minis with 13, Jags with 10 and Rovers 8. There were some unique cars among them with an Alvis being a standout. They also had plenty of colour to the meet with several Union Jacks flying.

Default Some Waterloo pics

Hi All
    Unfortunately I got there a little late and a great deal of the cars had already gone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battle of Waterloo - Canberra-img_0328.jpg   Battle of Waterloo - Canberra-img_0333.jpg   Battle of Waterloo - Canberra-img_0335.jpg   Battle of Waterloo - Canberra-img_0337.jpg   Battle of Waterloo - Canberra-img_0338.jpg   Battle of Waterloo - Canberra-img_0341.jpg  

Battle of Waterloo - Canberra-img_0343.jpg  
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

DS

We roared past a slow driving RR and Bentley in the thick fog just outside the A.C.T. (we had French yellow headlight bulbs) and got an angry (but friendly angry) fist out the RR window at us! Why do British cars not seem to like wet weather?
    The British car owners apparently had stickers on cars marked British 1/French 0. Obviously they have forgotten all the past times they have NOT out numbered the French car.

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    We roared past a slow driving RR and Bentley in the thick fog just outside the A.C.T. (we had French yellow headlight bulbs) and got an angry (but friendly angry) fist out the RR window at us! Why do British cars not seem to like wet weather?
    The British car owners apparently had stickers on cars marked British 1/French 0. Obviously they have forgotten all the past times they have NOT out numbered the French car.
    *must get me one of those stickers for the Morris...and cross out the '1' and put a '2'*

On the other hand, us Frenchies could have some made up that tell the truth....

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah I saw those stickers. It was a nice day, but I only found out it was on the day before! Therefore I couldn't stick around all day.

Good fun as always.
    Lets just say we have a few pugs about!

UFO

Well for next year we'll get the count up to date from the first of the BoW meets and have signs made up to correct the imbalance.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Here's some pics I took on the day.
    http://s761.photobucket.com/albums/x...terloo%202011/
    Currently: Renault Sport Megane 265 Trophy 8:08 Number 14 of 100
    Previously: Renault Sport Clio 200 Cup Trophee, Renault Sport Clio 197

Nobody would object to gold coin and I think a 5 dollar entree per car is not too steep?

Icon6

G'day,
    set the fee in Francs, might keep the English away...
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Thread Information