Froggy cruise speeding fine UPDATE
  • Register
  • Help

Froggy cruise speeding fine UPDATE

Well as you may remember, in the previous Melbourne cruise, I got done by the white RAV 4 sitting at the entrance to Narbethong.

I wrote a letter to the Traffic Camera Office asking for leniency, and guess what...
    ........... they withdrew the fine!! dance head_ban

Advertisement

I can't say just how relieved I am, my driving record remains unblemished, and I won't be going into financial strife, which is what would have happened if I had to pay the $125.

Instead of the fine, they've issued me with a Caution Notice. They've said that despite knowing that I was speeding, they took into consideration my previous driving history (no offences during the 4 years I've held my licence), the reason why I was above the speed limit (I was slowing to 80 but was watching the actions of the speeding ute towing a huge boat in front of me), and the fact that I'm a uni student currently without a job.

I'm guessing they verified that there was a speeding ute in front of me by checking the speed camera photo before mine.

Anyway, I'm just glad that it's all over. I might go and get a copy of the photo they took of me, just as a souvenir...

Richard

PS. Thank you very much Jason S, who suggested in my previous thread that I should write a letter.
    Cheers mate! cheers!
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

eyyy richard,

figure that one out, ey?

i wouldve thought there was a greater chance of a boeing 747 landing one yer forehead than you receiving a "caution".

Surely theyd receive quite a few "letters for leniency". Along with your request, you didnt slip a fiver, did ya? i'd believe that. whistle

Next time, keep your eyes on your speedometer, and not on the road mallet

or

drive like this: snail

For hes a jolly good fellow and so say all of us cheers!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Maybe there's an election coming up!!

Alan S

Well Done. cheers! dance
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Election?

Hahahah, if Bracksie finds out about this exemption, he'll be worried the budget will go into deficit! We only had one last year, and well the opposition were thrashed, and I doubt anything would change if they had one tomorrow - it'd be a waste of taxpayers money

I guess speeding fines are more socially responsible than gambling taxes.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm
    Yes, well Bracksie has just announced even more redlight and speeding cameras to be introduced in 'dangerous' intersections

No doubt putting small grey boxes that cost a small fortune in the intersection will do a far better job at saving lives than a large sign warning of it being a blackspot intersection or just a dangerous one. Oh that's right, they will be put in safe intersections where it is garunteed they'll get people on their way home from work trying to keep with the traffic
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I had the opportunity to see one of these ugly grey boxes in action last week, we were on Smith St in Fitzroy waiting at the lights where it crosses over Alexandra Pde. It was the early peak hour rush, and in the two cycles that we waited at those lights, we counted the flash on the box go off about 5 or 6 times per cycle. At $125 per flash, Bracks made at least $1250 in the 5 minutes we waited there! eek! The people getting the fines would not have been doing any more than 5km/h over the limit. No wonder people have been driven to vandalise these things overseas. whistle

Anyway, I am surprised that they took the time to review my case and decided to let me off. Looks like there are some sensible people working in the Traffic Camera Office... And no, I didn't slip anything into the envelope (I can just see it though "hey mate, I'll give you $100 to get me out of paying $125"...) deal
    You'd save $25... mallet

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

My main quibble with these cameras is the low speed tolerance they give you - 3km/h

You can sneeze and go past that - I don't think 3km/h is going to make any significant impact on road safety. With such a tolerance, you're simply revenue raising - just nabbing a lot of people who aren't hooning around.

I can't help but be cynical about the locations of some cameras - I have no problem with red light cameras though.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    Richard,

I'm glad to hear you were let off the fine - that one just wasn't fair! I think some of you guys were very lucky I was leading a pack and taking it easy through that town.

I'm all with Justin on the red light camera issue. Working on a major intersection, my thoughts are if we can somehow develop a foolproof method to stop people running red lights (yeah, I know, as if...) the roads will be a much safer place. The number of accidents we see out the front of work because of people running the lights, it's no wonder I *never* run even an orange light if I don't have to.

The sad thing is it's always young people in beaten up old cars (with little or no safety features) too

Derek

Administrator
    Most drivers will be able to get out of their first fine (or second if their first was 20 years ago)if it's minor by writing a good, "I know I was doing the wrong thing but there was a good reason letter....."

It is actually the norm rather than the exception....just don't expect the same result on a second offence.

Regards,

UFO
    DeKa:
    Richard,

I'm all with Justin on the red light camera issue. Working on a major intersection, my thoughts are if we can somehow develop a foolproof method to stop people running red lights (yeah, I know, as if...) the roads will be a much safer place. The number of accidents we see out the front of work because of people running the lights, it's no wonder I *never* run even an orange light if I don't have to.

The sad thing is it's always young people in beaten up old cars (with little or no safety features) too

Derek
    DeKa

A couple of points here. We should stop referring to it as "running" a red light - it makes it sound like a game that too many people now are too willing to play. It should be something more appropriate - like "being a complete dickhead in relation to that light you KNEW was going to go red"

Why am I ranting? Well some of you may recall that I am lucky to still have Mrs UFO with me. About this time last year, a guy in his early 50s was hurrying to work at 6.15am and chose to ignore the already red light in front of him and barrel through the intersection in his ****** wagon. 1 second diff in this timing and he would have put two tonne of landcrusher through Deb's door. Then it would have been exit stage left Mrs UFO ensconced in a shiny timber box! cry

Perhaps red lights should be installed with a metre high brick wall that shoots up out of the intersection? mallet
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

The pop up spikes used at some of the larger carparks placed at the white line. there's no excuse at all for driving past a light that's already red. I doubt it would take dickheads to long learn the laws if spikes shot up as the light changed to red. ie each infrindgement costs 4 tyres. A side bonus,it would also stop d/head bike riders riding to the front & puting themselves ahead of the white line & thus in the cross traffic flow just to be first at the lights.
    when i got my license in 1970 there was a law against riding/driving on the dividing line between lanes & something 90% of riders do as a matter or course.
    2_cents
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

rek
    Damien Gardner:
    A side bonus,it would also stop d/head bike riders riding to the front & puting themselves ahead of the white line & thus in the cross traffic flow just to be first at the lights.
    when i got my license in 1970 there was a law against riding/driving on the dividing line between lanes & something 90% of riders do as a matter or course.
    2_cents
    Cyclists do that as a matter of course because they are allowed to by law! Cyclists (non-motorised at least) are allowed to overtake on the left (even if it means crossing a white line), unless the traffic being overtaken is signalling to, and in the process of, turning left.

In fact a lot of highly-trafficked areas around Melbourne are specifically marked to allow for this behaviour; on these roads, the space in between the traffic light and the pedestrian crossing is marked for cyclists.

<a href="http://www.bv.com.au/download/ACFDB26.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.bv.com.au/download/ACFDB26.pdf</a>

However, I must voice a general f**k you to all of the cyclists on the road who believe red lights don't apply to them. They make us all look bad.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Administrator
    I do agree with the sentiment, but some truck drivers might disagree when they have to fork out a couple of grand when they try and pull up 40 tonnes of truck at a red light on a down hill slope.

mistareno:
    I do agree with the sentiment, but some truck drivers might disagree when they have to fork out a couple of grand when they try and pull up 40 tonnes of truck at a red light on a down hill slope.
    Mistereno,

Being a whalloper, you'd appreciate this one.

A few years ago there was a drug raid near us. Police Intelligence (as you'll see, there's a conflict of terminology there) was that the cache was being shifted by a big blue semi which would be heading towards the rendezvous in the wee small hours.
    Waiting with baited breath were Queenslands finest (Sir Terry roll_lau possibly waiting in the wings while Jack Herbert counted the weeks takings tongue dance ) when around the corner comes a "big blue semi" going like the clappers.......the 'stinger' was across the road & as it approached the undercover bods in jeans & red chequered shirts (departmental uniform for undercover officers) pop up the spikes.....BANG/BANG/BANG etc...18 times followed by a heap of guys all armed, converged on the cab dragging the driver out & spreadeagleing him on the bitumen.....WOW...what a result!!!! Aww shit...wrong truck

While all this was going on, another blue truck arrived, turned around & disappeared into the night....kidding that didn't cost the "Department" big bucks and a lot of red faces.
    The other truck was probably red the following day; to match the coppers faces. cry

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information