CANBERRA meet/drive Saturday 10th Sept
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Default CANBERRA meet/drive Saturday 10th Sept

Hey everyone,

Saturday 10th Sept meet at Melrose at 1pm aiming to leave for Cotter Rd at 2pm (no earlier - gives everyone a chance to show up even if running late).

Advertisement

So far people who've expressed availability are:

Pug4eva - GTi180
    Saru - 405 Mi16
    SilverGTi_6 - GTi6 (and it's silver who'd have thought!)
    [email protected] - GTi138 (pretty sure you can make it)
    ACT180 - GTi180

Anyone else? Pugpete? Kyle? radioactiveman? slick? James (blue GTi6 - been a bit quiet mate)?

If anyone has any issues with time or meeting place, let me know, we may be able to be flexible. Cotter Rd is not far and if you want to meet up later on Cotter Rd, we could arrange this also.

Cant wait!

Joel
    Peugeot 206 GTi180 '04-I'm in love!

Hey ACT180, were you that silver 180 on Torrens St. Braddon around 12:15?

In Australia: 05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: 09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Pug4eva
    Hey ACT180, were you that silver 180 on Torrens St. Braddon around 12:15?
    No, wasn't me unless my car is not in the car park in Civic at the moment (still at work)!!! I haven't seen any other silver 180's in ACT, hence the concern! I'm sure it's ok. What kind of plates did it have?

At first instance I thought there was a mirror in the middle of the road. Oddly enough, they looked like VIC rego's, but looking into the rear view they were Y something, so ACT definetly.

On saturday went past Melrose, and they had a silver 180 act rego's on the grass side.

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Pug4eva
    At first instance I thought there was a mirror in the middle of the road. Oddly enough, they looked like VIC rego's, but looking into the rear view they were Y something, so ACT definetly.

On saturday went past Melrose, and they had a silver 180 act rego's on the grass side.
    Mine's YDD something but the car's safe, it's all good. Must have been one of the Melrose guys, just remembered they had one.

Saturday around 2pm, Mi16_Man, SilverGTi_6 and myself met at Melrose before heading off for a drive. There was a silver 180 parked out the front for sale - I think it had 3200kms for $35990.

The drive was great, hardly any traffic - hope it's same this weekend!!

Icon6 Ex Press Car For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by ACT180
    There was a silver 180 parked out the front for sale - I think it had 3200kms for $35990.
    Joel!! Funny stuff re that GTi180 for sale, I thought it was a bit "strange" have a NSW plated car for sdealer sale in the ACT......

Anyway, looking at July's issue of MOTOR Mag, there is the test with a Golf GTi, Clio Sport and GTi180 - the GTi180 used in that test is the one for sale!!

Moral of the story, anyone want an ex-press car for sale???
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

Now all I have to do is get permission from the Minister for Tourism.
    '94 405 Mi16

The other Silver 180 is Ploncko's I suspect. I believe his was the first 180 in Canberra (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'll be there!! see you on sat!
    Current: '06 Iron Grey 407 SV HDi '02 Silver Audi S4 '05 GTi 180
    ----------------------------------------------
    Previous: '05 Aegean Blue GTi 180
    Previous: '04 Sahara Gold 206 GTi
    ---------------------------------------------
    Previous: '95 Silver 405 SRDT (Fantastic Tourer)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    The other Silver 180 is Ploncko's I suspect. I believe his was the first 180 in Canberra (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'll be there!! see you on sat!
    Where's Ploncko? He/she should be joining us!! Ploncko - come out come out wherever you are....

Thinking about it

I'd most likely camp the night in a hotel sat night and drink on

Quote Originally Posted by Mi16 Man
    Joel!! Funny stuff re that GTi180 for sale, I thought it was a bit "strange" have a NSW plated car for sdealer sale in the ACT......

Anyway, looking at July's issue of MOTOR Mag, there is the test with a Golf GTi, Clio Sport and GTi180 - the GTi180 used in that test is the one for sale!!

Moral of the story, anyone want an ex-press car for sale???
    Well there you go, it was too. Just had a look at the mag!! I'm surprised they kept the same number plates on it.

Something I noticed about the car was that the tyres looked really new, maybe they've been replaced after the car copped a hammering for the first 3200k's.

Hope you enjoyed the drive while you were here, let us know when you're down next...

Icon6 Photos...........

Hope you enjoyed the drive while you were here, let us know when you're down next...
    Thanks Joel, sure did!! It was an awesome drive and I am still dumbfounded how well the car handles.....some of those blind corners and hills got me all puckered up at some stages but the GTi180 stuck to the road like the "preverbial" to a blanket and it was good........was very suprised that IS200 driver did not take more "action" against us!! Was worried for a moment there!!!

Enjoy next weekends drive with the gang again!! Thanks to you and Ben, was great to meet you!! God love those Melrose boys, they are just big kids like us...........

See you next time when in Canberra.......

Cheers,
    Stu
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately the weather forecast is not good for tomorrow, see below forecast from Bureau of Meteorology:

PRECIS:
    Max Today: 22
    Saturday Min Tonight: 9 Max: 16
    UV Index: UV Index 4 [Moderate].
    Headline : Showers, possible thunderstorms.
    Probability of rain: 90%.
    Fire Danger Rating:
    Winds on Canberra lakes: Northwesterly winds freshening to 25 to 35 km/h, with
    possible gusts to 50 km/h in the afternoon and with storms.

So, for anyone coming from far away, I will leave up to you as to whether or not you want to join us. Thunderstorms/Cotter Rd - not really a good mix!

My suggestion is that we still meet at Melrose between 1 and 2pm and go and have lunch/drink/coffee or something - any takers?

Joel

Icon7

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately the weather forecast is not good for tomorrow, see below forecast from Bureau of Meteorology:

PRECIS:
    Max Today: 22
    Saturday Min Tonight: 9 Max: 16
    UV Index: UV Index 4 [Moderate].
    Headline : Showers, possible thunderstorms.
    Probability of rain: 90%.
    Fire Danger Rating:
    Winds on Canberra lakes: Northwesterly winds freshening to 25 to 35 km/h, with
    possible gusts to 50 km/h in the afternoon and with storms.

So, for anyone coming from far away, I will leave up to you as to whether or not you want to join us. Thunderstorms/Cotter Rd - not really a good mix!

My suggestion is that we still meet at Melrose between 1 and 2pm and go and have lunch/drink/coffee or something - any takers?

Joel
    Doesnt make for good fun driving. I lost it on Lady Denman Drive tonite, but caused no damage. Wasnt even driving fast. Last Saturday for a Brindy run was awesome. I would come tomorrow to say hello (if I am welcome) if it wasnt raining, but I will keep you frnchies posted when us krauts go out again....

Quote Originally Posted by mrgolf
    Doesnt make for good fun driving. I lost it on Lady Denman Drive tonite, but caused no damage. Wasnt even driving fast. Last Saturday for a Brindy run was awesome. I would come tomorrow to say hello (if I am welcome) if it wasnt raining, but I will keep you frnchies posted when us krauts go out again....
    How did you lose it on Lady Denman Drive?? It's not that twisty. I know it's wet but geez! Anyway, would be great to meet some of you krauts. You should meet us tomorrow anyway, probably just talk cars and grab a drink or something. What model golf do you have? Is the "Brindy run" just Cotter Rd or do you go further and find dirt roads? We are always looking for new places to drive... Anyway show up tomorrow if you can, don't know what the turn out will be like but I know there will be a 180 and a 138 there at least.

Blame it on the weatherman, but seeing how it was yesterday and how it would be raining today, I would have not minded giving the Pirelli's a good rub in the wet.

However, given the damn bubble on the front left tyre , awaiting on the outcome of the warranty, I probably should take it easy for the next few days; So for a sunny weekend.

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Ok, sounds like this would be better held on another day. Apart from the weather, I've just gotten home from a large night out and am thinking MASSIVE sleep in is in order and I know another who is in the same boat.

Sorry if this causes any inconvenience to anyone but this event is now offically called off.

Any suggestions for future dates? I am in Melbourne for next weekend 24/25 Sept but any weekend thereafter is ok for me except for a couple of yet to be confirmed plans. Would be really great to get a large group of cars together, all European and all quick!

Off to bed for me....

I lost it on the corner coming onto the bridge coming from Curtin. Dont know what happened. It was really wet, and I wasnt concentrating. Total driver error if there was no oil on the road. Back end started stepping out, and it got nasty from there. No damage done, but a wheel allignment on the way. Nudged the gutter with my front right tyre.

Brindy run is the bit of road near Piccadilly Circus. We stop just before the dirt. Last weekend we went down to Honeysuckle creek tracking station near Namadgi. Top drive.

My Golf is an 85 Mk2 GTI. Been balanced, ported and flowed, cammed with adjustable cam gear. Lowered with BBS RS. White in colour. Capable of 0-100 in about 7.5. Go on lots of drives with MCS guys, and I only fall behind very slightly on very twisty stuff. Damn new cars just change direction so effortlessly. I am fighting the damn GTI all the way...

Wont be able to make it today, but if you guys want to see some Kraut machinery looking sweet, come to Commonwealth Park on the 25th September for Shannons German Autofest.

And if you are interested, I am envisaging a Kraut run to Brindy on the Saturady morning. Should I keep you posted?

Anyways, if you see me in the GTI, give me a toot!!!

That is one hot little golf!! Love the wheels!! Pity we couldn't make it today but definitely welcome to come on the next meet I'm sure there will be no objections. As far as I'm concerned any nice uncommon cars like yours deserve to come along!!

I won't be around during the weekend of 24th but sure I'll catch up with you sometime in the future.

Q. this being a froggy site.... how did you get pulled into it?

Sweet car mrgolf! Please do come along for the next one if you can make it, would love to see the car in action! See you soon...

I was pulled into it out of an interest in French Hot Hatches. I know how well the 205 GTI goes, and consider any one with that same interst as a potential source of extracting fun on our lovely back roads... As for RCS, if they are better than the MCS, then damn, that is one hot hatch...

I also cherish a bit of friendly competition, to be honest. Would love to get into pointless but jokingly heated conversations about which is better, and then have the obligatory testing sessions, etc etc. Done with the right spirit, it can be fun... (ie: not here to flame, but to stir things up. You should read some of the things written on my first thread! Lada indeed... )

mrgolf, your car looks great! The colour says it all so 1985, the golden age of hot hatches

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Hey All,

Sorry, Headed down the coast for the weekend! Was great weather both days, actually got sun burnt today! Had some fun going down the Clyde on the way there, but was pretty tame on the way home.

Definately keen for a drive with everyone soon. Sorry to hear the weather cancelled yesterdays fun!

Was a good little drive last weekend with the two 180's. Hope we get a couple more GTi6's in the mix soon!
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Cheers, mate.

So anyone interested in a run on the 24th? Round 11?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgolf
    Cheers, mate.

So anyone interested in a run on the 24th? Round 11?
    24th @ 11 is good for me!

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information