Bathurst Fun
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Bathurst Fun

Icon10 Bathurst Fun

G'day

Only a couple more months till I get my hands on a shiney 180. I had a look at the 206gti.net Buthurst road trip and It looks blooody GREAT

The thing is that I know that the mountain is a public road and I really want to find out when its open for motor sport... Some time in the christmas holidays I would LOVE to get a drive up there with heaps of other 206 GTi/180 owners , can anyone inform me as to when the track is open for motor sport and if you would be willing to treat yourself for a Crissy drive up there???

Advertisement

I bet its great to be on the road with heaps of other 180's and 206 GTi's all cruzin up to the Bathurst raceway!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga
    The thing is that I know that the mountain is a public road and I really want to find out when its open for motor sport... Some time in the christmas holidays I would LOVE to get a drive up there with heaps of other 206 GTi/180 owners , can anyone inform me as to when the track is open for motor sport
    I think that the track is only used for the bathurst 1000 in October each year... Not being a local though I am not 100%
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

They use the track for hill climbs and other different events.

In December (3 & 4) the Bathurst Light Car Club is having a speedweekend. I've got no idea what events are in it.

Maybe if you got in touch with the BLCC they could send you a list of events.

BTW the track is VERY public and WELL PATROLLED by the local constabulary.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Quote Originally Posted by 2 pugs
    They use the track for hill climbs and other different events.

In December (3 & 4) the Bathurst Light Car Club is having a speedweekend. I've got no idea what events are in it.

Maybe if you got in touch with the BLCC they could send you a list of events.

BTW the track is VERY public and WELL PATROLLED by the local constabulary.

Many years ago I was a Bathurst resident, and BLCC member and competitor. In my day (that makes me sound so old)... it used to comprise of a hillclimb, motorkhana and standing 1/5th.

The whole road (ie the track) is only closed for October and usually only one or two other times per year (the other big weekend used to be the bikes at easter which was taken over by the cars at one stage). Otherwise the BLCC/council only close parts of the road to run events like the standing and flying 1/5th and hillclimbs.

A standing 1/5th used to be side by side along pit straight for 1/5th of a mile then return into the pits using the current pit exit road. The flying 1/5th was a running start down the length of conrod with the timing markers being between the second and third humps. You had to come to an almost complete stop by the end of the chase to turn through a barrier into the pit area (under the bridge). There was a three second club for members who were timed covering that distance in under 3 sec which equates to 150mph. There is only about a dozen or so members. The results were published in both times and outright speed. My best at the time was 122mph in my Datsun 1600.

The hillclimb used to start outside the BLCC clubrooms at the top of conrod, then run through forest elbow, the esses and up to Mcphilamy Park (ie in the wrong direction to what you see on TV). Open wheelers used to do it in 23 odd seconds, 27 or 28 seconds was the quickest tintop (usually a torana 6cyl or occasionally a V8). My quickest in the Datsun was 32.33. A standard road car like an Alfa GTV6, fiat 131 or most std road cars used to do it in the 35-40 sec range typically.

They also ran a few "mountain straight" hillclimbs which started on mountain straight and ran in the anticlockwise direction up the hill through the cutting and up to reid park I think from memory. Ahh memories

Thread Information